Thread: Hi I have, I've been told, a long term storage problem

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible

Hi I have, I've been told, a long term storage problem

My 1998 Z3 is tough going into third gear. It's a manual of course. The car is low miles and excellent shape otherwise. I was told to leave it in third for the winter storage this year and hope for the best. Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem other than removing the tranny?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    First things first, change the trans fluid and bleed the clutch. See if that improves matters.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    There are several good choices, but Amsoil 5W-30 manual synchromesh transmission fluid shifts much smoother than BMW oil.

You said low miles. How many miles are on the car? Why does your mechanic think leaving it in 3rd during storage would help?
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-14-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Has the line been replaced? If it’s original I’d start there especially if it gets worse the longer you drive it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Tough going into third? Does this mean you have to push harder on the shifter to get into third than other gears, that you have trouble finding third, or that there is grinding going into third? I agree that the easy steps to take in fixing shifting issues generally are to replace the flexible clutch line and the transmission fluid, but, whether these are effective in addressing your issue depends on the what you mean by "tough going into third." Do you know how to double clutch--if so, does it shift into third easier when you do that? Finally, what has the thread subject to do with the question posed?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Hmmm, so far we have suggestions that air somehow managed to get past the guard at the gate and is causing havoc with the clutch... but only third gear. Or the oil has gone bad and somehow is effecting only third gear. This is in addition to the original "go stand on your head to cure a headache" sauggestion.

I'd like to try a different tack. First off, what is the vehicle? Yes, it's a Z3, but which? 1.9, 2.5, 2.8, 3.2? All made in 98, each with it's own clutch/trans/shifter stack. Second, how is it difficult to get into third? Does it grind? Very notchy? Or just pulling taffy-stiff? What does the clutch feel like? How far from the floor does it release? Is there one of those silly clutch stops installed?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, one more question, inspired by Ralph's reply. By hard to get into third, do you mean hard to find third, that you end up doing 2-5 upshifts? easy to go past the 3-4 gate?
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 02-15-2020 at 08:19 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the shifter linkage is worn that will also cause problems

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible
    Hi again
    My mechanic is excellent, but he doesn't specialize in BMW. He found the advice in a BMW forum, but I don't know where. I guess the third gear problem only occurs after long-term storage if you leave it in neutral. The pins for third gear engagement dry out and stick. This car has 81,000 miles on it. The car has been well taken care of and upgraded as far as suspension, bearings, etc. The tranny works fine, but you have to find it and hit third with a good push just right to select third. Going up or down makes no difference. I was hoping, with today's serpent cameras to look in the tranny and possibly force some release chemical on the pins.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible
    Mine is the 2.8. Thanks

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Okay. A 2.8 with a ZF THMW. It's coming together.

I would be curious which forum that was. If what is reported is truly what was published, it sounds like a fun place to go troll

Both the THMW and later THCH shipped with LT-1 fluid. This fluid attacked the liners of some of the bushings. You won't find this in print, BMW never admitted it. They just changed the spec to LT-2 and made a repair kit available for relatively cheap. It's not that the pin sticks blocking third. There is no pin for third. What it is is the spring loaded pin that guides you out of the 5th gate sticks open, so that it's very difficult to hit the 3-4 gate. The layman indicator of this condition is the shifter will lean to the right a bit when left in neutral. It is not a function of how you store the car, or even whether it is stored or not. It is just a matter of time... oil additive against the teflon.

The only repair is to install the kits. Transmission out. There are some that report some improvement by changing oil brands. It always ends up being short-lived.

And finally, as a professional, we use owner forums as a tool to help find and track common problems. As much grief as I give this forum for less than ideal diagnostics and advise, this place is far and away the best out there. Some forums.... mostly low-end Asian cars.... makes you cry to think our schools are turning out such ineptitude in basic logical thinking. And language.

/.randy

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    It’s not education anymore, it’s indoctrination.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-15-2020 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Ok, boomer(s). it's y'all's aversion to taxation that underfunded the public school system that you all took for granted.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomike33 View Post
    The tranny works fine, but you have to find it and hit third with a good push just right to select third. Going up or down makes no difference.
    So, the symptoms are that third is both hard to find difficult to push into, but no grinding, is that correct? Does your third gear issue get better with driving and summer temps, or is it a permanent problem? When did you first notice these symptoms? Do you ever have issues getting into other gears, and if so under what conditions?

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I believe Randy has determined the cause and solution. Sounds pricey.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Ok, boomer(s). it's y'all's aversion to taxation that underfunded the public school system that you all took for granted.
    I mean, you aren't wrong lol...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    So, the symptoms are that third is both hard to find difficult to push into, but no grinding, is that correct? Does your third gear issue get better with driving and summer temps, or is it a permanent problem? When did you first notice these symptoms? Do you ever have issues getting into other gears, and if so under what conditions?
    Hi again
    No grinding. It did this when I got it Four years ago. I was do happy with the car, I just kind of pretended it did not exist. By very carefully quick shifting I can get it in fairly decent. Cough cough, haruff harumph. It is stored in a heated building five months at a time. No running, just had prep, and I only put non ethanol gas in it. Battery tender. Period. One other question. Does anyone have an estimate of the cost from a good shop, pulling the tranny to do a an internal fix. Not a dealer, of course. We only have one in this whole area that does BMW work specifically. I'm not rich, so a big expense is not something I easily do. These European vehicles are a luxury for me. I have a Ducati too. Don't even ask how much I've put into that. Hah.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Non-boomer here. Taxes don't make people smart or stupid. Current culture promotes shallow knowledge (Googling for quick fixes), versus getting your hands dirty and learning for yourself. As a result, a LOT of car forums are full of bad or incomplete information. This specific forum (BF.c Z3) is an anomaly in that there are a large number of highly-experienced members that are willing to give out good, complete information to people who are willing to receive it. I got a taste for this when I bought a Toyota recently and saw what a cesspool the Toyota forums are.

WITH REGARDS TO THE TOPIC, I am with Randy. It sounds like the 1-2 and/or 5th gear pins are sticking, which is fairly common. I have done the job myself twice and have a full guide linked in my signature. It's not that difficult if you are mechanically-inclined, but I wouldn't consider it a rookie job. If you were to tackle the job, or pay someone else to do it, that would be a good opportunity to do replace the clutch and slave cylinder line. Since you're already in there, it's not much more labor.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Immediately thought shift pins...

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    Non-boomer here. Taxes don't make people smart or stupid. Current culture promotes shallow knowledge (Googling for quick fixes), versus getting your hands dirty and learning for yourself. As a result, a LOT of car forums are full of bad or incomplete information. This specific forum (BF.c Z3) is an anomaly in that there are a large number of highly-experienced members that are willing to give out good, complete information to people who are willing to receive it. I got a taste for this when I bought a Toyota recently and saw what a cesspool the Toyota forums are.

WITH REGARDS TO THE TOPIC, I am with Randy. It sounds like the 1-2 and/or 5th gear pins are sticking, which is fairly common. I have done the job myself twice and have a full guide linked in my signature. It's not that difficult if you are mechanically-inclined, but I wouldn't consider it a rookie job. If you were to tackle the job, or pay someone else to do it, that would be a good opportunity to do replace the clutch and slave cylinder line. Since you're already in there, it's not much more labor.
    Money isn't it, Baltimore is #3 in per capita student costs, and had 5 high schools without ONE student passing the state competency tests.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Ummm, Read before you post. ;-) #nohate

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    ...It's not that the pin sticks blocking third. There is no pin for third...
    This message brought to you by the New York City public school system.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Ummm, Read before you post. ;-) #nohate
    Those pins center the shifter to assist with getting into 3rd. If the shifter is sitting off to one side, due to a stuck pin, that would cause problems getting into 3rd.
    The tranny works fine, but you have to find it and hit third with a good push just right to select third.
    There is no "finding 3rd" if the pins are loose and centering the shifter.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible

Still waiting

Those pins center the shifter to assist with getting into 3rd. If the shifter is sitting off to one side, due to a stuck p tohiin, that would cause problems getting into 3rd.

There is no "finding 3rd" if the pins are loose and centering the shifter.
    Hi Vince
    I love your how to video on this tranny pin problem. I have the car at a shop,with a longtime mechanic, who specializes in sports cars. They haven't started yet. Still getting the tools. They will probably borrow them from another local shop that only does BMW cars. But he is hard to work with. Of course. Right? Wish me luck. I'm missing some beautiful driving days in NW Ohio.

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The layman indicator of this condition is the shifter will lean to the right a bit when left in neutral.
    I'm having the shift pins kit installed next week.

One thing I haven't been able to find online is, Where should the shifter lean or not lean when in neutral normally?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    It should sit straight up in the 3-4 gate plane.

/.randy