RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 1999 E39 540i p0011 code

My Cars
    2012 535i, 2006 z4

1999 E39 540i p0011 code

Yesterday driving home from work I noticed a significant decrease in power on the low end, no code. Got home, went back out to my car about an hour later and got a p0011 code “advanced timing” on bank 1. I replaced the respective CPS and the code is still there and down on the low end power. Started her up this morning and I get the loud chain rattle upon start up followed by a bunch of clatter at normal idle, very loud, it sounds like the timing chain is rattling around.

I don’t really have access to that many tools or a place to tear into the engine at the moment and I don’t want to order all the tools and parts I need to do the job that I might screw up, having never done it before. It’s my daily so I need it to be back up and running as soon as I can.

My guess is it’s the timing chain guides that took a shit. Going to check the oil pan to confirm.

My question is - how much could I expect to pay an independent mechanic to replace the timing chain guides (assuming it’s the guides)

ALSO, if anyone has any input on any other possibilities on what could be going on, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmelvin10 View Post
    Yesterday driving home from work I noticed a significant decrease in power on the low end, no code. Got home, went back out to my car about an hour later and got a p0011 code “advanced timing” on bank 1. I replaced the respective CPS and the code is still there and down on the low end power. Started her up this morning and I get the loud chain rattle upon start up followed by a bunch of clatter at normal idle, very loud, it sounds like the timing chain is rattling around.

I don’t really have access to that many tools or a place to tear into the engine at the moment and I don’t want to order all the tools and parts I need to do the job that I might screw up, having never done it before. It’s my daily so I need it to be back up and running as soon as I can.

My guess is it’s the timing chain guides that took a shit. Going to check the oil pan to confirm.

My question is - how much could I expect to pay an independent mechanic to replace the timing chain guides (assuming it’s the guides)

ALSO, if anyone has any input on any other possibilities on what could be going on, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    I think you're pretty much spot on with what happened. Drop the pan first to be sure though. I was quoted between 4-7k for the chain guides about 4 years ago. I wasn't sure I could do it and really didn't want to buy all the tools. But after hearing their quotes and checking the cost of parts and tools, it was a no Brainer to diy it. It's a long job and I personally think the hardest part is getting the crank (Jesus) bolt off. I learned quick to use an impact on that bolt to get it off. Getting the timing right is easy with the right tools. Don't skimp on the timing set, it will make all the difference in your success. I got the German.auto solutions (G.A.S) timing kit and it's awesome. I've done it twice since and it takes much less time. Work slowly and be thorough if you do find a place to do it. First time may take around 20 total hours.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by H3adBussa; 02-14-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Same thing that will make you smile will make you cry. Was that a piston?

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Double post. Sorry
    Last edited by H3adBussa; 02-14-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Double post

My Cars
    2012 535i, 2006 z4
    Quote Originally Posted by H3adBussa View Post
    I think you're pretty much spot on with what happened. Drop the pan first to be sure though. I was quoted between 4-7k for the chain guides about 4 years ago. I wasn't sure I could do it and really didn't want to buy all the tools. But after hearing their quotes and checking the cost of parts and tools, it was a no Brainer to diy it. It's a long job and I personally think the hardest part is getting the crank (Jesus) bolt off. I learned quick to use an impact on that bolt to get it off. Getting the timing right is easy with the right tools. Don't skimp on the timing set, it will make all the difference in your success. I got the German.auto solutions (G.A.S) timing kit and it's awesome. I've done it twice since and it takes much less time. Work slowly and be thorough if you do find a place to do it. First time may take around 20 total hours.

Right on, thank you for the reply. I think I may end up going the diy route because I also got quoted between 4-7k

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Highly recommend you not run the car again. There are a few good DIY's for the E38 online. Same engine. I seem to recall book time being 27 hours for this job. $3500-$4000 range. $7k is crazy. Been awhile since I helped with one of these but I believe parts run about $1k if you do it yourself. Not all that difficult other than the Jesus bolt, as indicated. Just time consuming.

As far as tools, I know a few of the E38 guys have all you need. Some just charge you a deposit and give it back to you when you return the tools.

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmelvin10 View Post
    Right on, thank you for the reply. I think I may end up going the diy route because I also got quoted between 4-7k
    No problem. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? And as has been said, it is highly recommended that you don't start the car again until you check that pan. Renting the special tools is a good idea. If you are going to try to get the Jesus bolt off with just a breaker bar, get as long of an extension as you can, you'll thank yourself later. If using an impact, remove the radiator that way you're sure not to damage it. And lastly, don't skip the part where you remove the timing tools and the crank/flywheel holding pin and spinning the engine a Few rotations then checking the timing again. It takes more time but at least you won't have to take the top end back apart because it's not timed right.

Here is a link for the diy. https://germanautosolutions.com/supp...-timing-tools/

Look for info in other places too. Lots of research will ensure your success!

Last edited by H3adBussa; 02-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Sorry. Been there. If you do it yourself, the advice here and on YouTube will help. I have tools I can loan and/or rent for cheap. PM me if you decide to do it.