RM European Auto Parts

Thread: What amp do I need for my e46?

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330i sedan

What amp do I need for my e46?

I recently bought a 2001 bmw 330i sedan and the radio turns on lights work and everything but there is no sound I did a little research lotta people had the same problem and just needed a new amp I looked at the amp that I have in my trunk and it says E46/C which from what I have read goes on a coupe. Could this be why it is not working and I have no sound? Anyways I’ve been browsing eBay to find the right one but I’m not sure if any amp will work as long as it says E46/4 or if it Has to be the exact amp from the exact vehicle year and model? I found one for a good price from a 2003 325 sedan . Didn’t wanna buy unless I knew it would work for mine. Please help, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I have the Harman kardon system and the amp I’m looking at buying is for HK as well.

- - - Updated - - -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?...3D264572390701

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, it should work as you have to run it thru the parts cross index: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...996&series=E46

On some items, BMW will use it in more than one model, like the CD change for example. There can be other parts that will cross over as well, so that is why I like to use the cross index to see if it would be found in other BMW models.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The differences between the hifi and HK versions are:
    - amp
    - speakers
    - subs (not included with HiFi)
    - sub amp (ditto)
    - crossovers.

The hifi amp has built-in crossovers while the crossovers in the HK system are in the wiring. So, yes you may need an HK amp. But, before you start looking for a used HK amp, check fuses 7 and 41. The latter fuse powers the amp. Use a digital volt/ohm n mmh enter to check it. Also, the head unit sends a 12VDC “turn on” signal to the amp when you turn on the head unit. If that signal is missing the amp won’t turn on.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The differences between the hifi and HK versions are:
    - amp
    - speakers
    - subs (not included with HiFi)
    - sub amp (ditto)
    - crossovers.

The hifi amp has built-in crossovers while the crossovers in the HK system are in the wiring. So, yes you may need an HK amp. But, before you start looking for a used HK amp, check fuses 7 and 41. The latter fuse powers the amp. Use a digital volt/ohm n mmh enter to check it. Also, the head unit sends a 12VDC “turn on” signal to the amp when you turn on the head unit. If that signal is missing the amp won’t turn on.
    I checked the fuses 7 and 41 and they are not blown , I know this sounds kinda rigged but is there a way I can just spit a power cable from the amp harness and wire it to my battery directly? That's what the previous owner is telling me he did with his other E46. Idk I don't really care if it's done the right way or the rigged way just want the music to play

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    BMW amps tend to live in places that get wet.The first thing I'd recommend is unplugging the amp, and having a close look at the pins, to see whether they are corroded and green, or even broken off.

I absolutely recommend against trying to run a hot wire from battery to the amp. You need to find out what the problem is, and fix it correctly. You're only guessing that the problem is lack of power to the amp, anyway. Even IF you're right, the lack of power probably means there's another problem in the system, AND if you hook it up as you suggest, you'll have a hot-wired amp, which will drain your battery very quickly.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    BMW amps tend to live in places that get wet.The first thing I'd recommend is unplugging the amp, and having a close look at the pins, to see whether they are corroded and green, or even broken off.

I absolutely recommend against trying to run a hot wire from battery to the amp. You need to find out what the problem is, and fix it correctly. You're only guessing that the problem is lack of power to the amp, anyway. Even IF you're right, the lack of power probably means there's another problem in the system, AND if you hook it up as you suggest, you'll have a hot-wired amp, which will drain your battery very quickly.
    It's a new amp I just got it two days ago and the pins on the harness are good , I live in Palm springs California were lucky if it rains 2 times a year haha . What else could the problem be? Very frustrating having no sound lol any and all help would be appreciated, I also pulled the business cd players and checked all the wires and fuse behind the player and all is well

- - - Updated - - -

Also the previous owner had a sub and different amp hooked up before he sold it to me. He took it all out before selling. But all the wires are still back in the trunk don't know if that makes a difference

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed if I kept the amp plugged in that it doesn't get warm or anything which is why I was thinking lack of power was the problem

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    When people pull out OE stereo, they tend to chop wires instead of getting a harness conversion kit. So what I would do is see if that is so, by pulling the stereo out and having a look at the radio wiring harness, for the power to the amp may not be plugged in.

Here is the wiring diagrams, plus more stuff for your car: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e46-330i-lim/

Here is the radio specific: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...igation/radio/
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Amps need 2 sources of 12VDC. The first source is typically from the battery via the fuse panel. This is the amp’s main power. The 2nd source is a low current “turn on” signal. This originated in the head unit. In your car the wire that carries the “turn on” signal is cream/off white in color.