Thread: Slide hammer ?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3

Slide hammer ?

Just curious which slide hammer, other members recommend, I've been poking around online, trying to decide which one I want to spend money on, im rounding up tools to tackle my Z3 rear wheel bearings, which look like the originals. Most of the slide hammers pretty much look the same, ranging from $50 on up.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Harbor freight has a nice one foe the money.. I got mine from a pawn shop for 15 bus. Be sure to check pawn shops

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    I rented at auto zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    For the rear wheel brngs, you NEED a pretty heavy one, I'd say as big as you can get!

Note the size/mass of the hammer

Likewise, the span of its travel; and even at that, it takes several substantial blows to pull the hub out of the bearing.

Same setup is used to pull the front hubs/bearings too.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Those bearings can be a bear sometimes to remove

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    For the rear wheel brngs, you NEED a pretty heavy one, I'd say as big as you can get!

Note the size/mass of the hammer

Likewise, the span of its travel; and even at that, it takes several substantial blows to pull the hub out of the bearing.

Same setup is used to pull the front hubs/bearings too.
    I'm guessing that one, is the BMW e36/e46 slide hammer, with a 10 pound hammer? pretty hefty looking, looks like the $300 job I seen lol.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    I rented at auto zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That the first time. Second time I bought mine. Buy oem FAG bearings.....

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by streetmaster56 View Post
    I'm guessing that one, is the BMW e36/e46 slide hammer, with a 10 pound hammer? pretty hefty looking, looks like the $300 job I seen lol.
    That would be a bargain. I'm thinking that the factory tools, in 2006, set me back about $1600.00. I remember at the time calculating how many rear wheel bearing jobs I'd have to do before I broke even.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Got mine on Amazon for about $60. Hammer about 5lbs. Worked fine.

You DO NOT need slide hammer for front bearings. After nutt is off the hub should come off by hand. If not, a simple 2 arm puller will pop it right off.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    That would be a bargain. I'm thinking that the factory tools, in 2006, set me back about $1600.00. I remember at the time calculating how many rear wheel bearing jobs I'd have to do before I broke even.

WOW, 1600.00 big ones, just a tad more than my budget will allow LOL

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Got mine on Amazon for about $60. Hammer about 5lbs. Worked fine.

You DO NOT need slide hammer for front bearings. After nutt is off the hub should come off by hand. If not, a simple 2 arm puller will pop it right off.
    Thanks for the tip, good to know that the cheaper versions, will do the trick.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    WOW, 1600.00 big ones, just a tad more than my budget will allow LOL
    An investment, yes, but in turn I made money with them.

You can compromise working on your own stuff, but when you work on other people's cars, there's only one (1) chance to do it right.

Knowing how quickly factory tools can go out of production (My Healey & previous MGBs are examples) I elected to buy ALL the S52/S54 engine tools (+ ther VANOS tool for the 2.8 TU) plus routine maintenance tools (suspension & whl brngs, etc.) while I could. They did remain available for longer than I expected, but the prices very quickly outpaced the national average; put this way, they would've made XLNT investments, as they could sell in a few years for DOUBLE and still cost less than their current market value!

For the record, there is also very little margin on (BMW) selling tools, and even if you're tax exempt (parts for resale) you still pay tax on the tools. Not a problem for me, as going forward I'll only be working on my own cars__but rest assured, I'll still continue producing the reinforcement kits.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    An investment, yes, but in turn I made money with them.

You can compromise working on your own stuff, but when you work on other people's cars, there's only one (1) chance to do it right.

Knowing how quickly factory tools can go out of production (My Healey & previous MGBs are examples) I elected to buy ALL the S52/S54 engine tools (+ ther VANOS tool for the 2.8 TU) plus routine maintenance tools (suspension & whl brngs, etc.) while I could. They did remain available for longer than I expected, but the prices very quickly outpaced the national average; put this way, they would've made XLNT investments, as they could sell in a few years for DOUBLE and still cost less than their current market value!

For the record, there is also very little margin on (BMW) selling tools, and even if you're tax exempt (parts for resale) you still pay tax on the tools. Not a problem for me, as going forward I'll only be working on my own cars__but rest assured, I'll still continue producing the reinforcement kits.
    Interesting, I might have to hit you up on the reinforcement kit, although while I had my subframe dropped, I checked all my welds, all seemed to be ok, I plan to run my M52TU, until I round up parts needed for an LS swap, one of your kits would be a nice addition to the future endeavor.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Just curious which slide hammer, other members recommend, I've been poking around online, trying to decide which one I want to spend money on, im rounding up tools to tackle my Z3 rear wheel bearings, which look like the originals. Most of the slide hammers pretty much look the same, ranging from $50 on up.
    https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...r-slide-hammer is what I used on my rear wheel bearing.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    No disrespect to anyone but, in today's age you can alwaysbuy the biggest best thing out there, but right next to it is an affordable durable option.