Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1995 M3 S50 engine rebuild

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    So sorry to hear this. If you have the space, I encourage you to keep it. Hopefully you will get past these rough spots and your enthusiasm will return. I just put mine all together and did a turbo build with a rotator cuff injury. Most likely damaged my shoulder further and facing some surgery soon. Step away for a little while and the burn-out should fade. Then start looking at the E36 show off your ride threads here and on the Fest for some encouragement.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    skateboard
    I’d say don’t give up man
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    So life has thrown me a few curveballs and I think I need to change my plans on this entire rebuild process. I have been throwing around the idea of just trying to sell the the entire car and components as is and just getting another car. One of the major issues happening is am going to need a couple more surgeries over then next 6 months which I am not looking forward to. I have owned the M3 for almost 10 years now and I have loved it, but I think it is time to move on. The car has rust that I don't want to fix and other things that older E36 models all need attended to.

I am honestly just burned out with it all right now. Maybe I can post it locally on Craigslist and hope to get 3k for it all, but that may be a pipe dream I don't know. Not sure, am I crazy not fixing it up and getting it in working order and trying to sell it as is? I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. It's always good to bounce thoughts and ideas off other E36 enthusiasts.
    If you decide to go this route let me know.

But you have done great work so far
    1999 BMW M3

Avatar Credit: HERMPWR aka Brooke Weisbender

My Cars
    yay
    Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    So life has thrown me a few curveballs and I think I need to change my plans on this entire rebuild process. I have been throwing around the idea of just trying to sell the the entire car and components as is and just getting another car. One of the major issues happening is am going to need a couple more surgeries over then next 6 months which I am not looking forward to. I have owned the M3 for almost 10 years now and I have loved it, but I think it is time to move on. The car has rust that I don't want to fix and other things that older E36 models all need attended to.

I am honestly just burned out with it all right now. Maybe I can post it locally on Craigslist and hope to get 3k for it all, but that may be a pipe dream I don't know. Not sure, am I crazy not fixing it up and getting it in working order and trying to sell it as is? I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. It's always good to bounce thoughts and ideas off other E36 enthusiasts.
    Man, hard to say. Most e36's will need to be gone through at this point. I hate rust, so if that's an issue I understand... Just don't sell it and regret it!
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Thanks for everyone's input. My biggest issue has been investing more money into it due to the rust. The car isn't falling apart from the rust by any means. I have the typical bad rust at the passenger side rear wheel well and the front passenger side. A little bit of surface rust at the top of the windshield, as well as rust at the front wheel well in the engine bay where the fender liner clips in. Regardless I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend money in it when it will never be rust free without spending a few thousand at a minimum. I thought about just turning it into a track car but I'm just not sure.

I came close to purchasing a couple of different M3s over the last 6 months that had less than 80k on the odo but ended up not purchasing them due to things breaking at the house and some medical bills. Just wasn't the smart thing to do financially at the time. The more I think about it the more I want to start over with a rust free clean low mileage car. But I will just need to keep thinking about it.

From my spreadsheet here is a list of things that I have replaced over the years.

Engine
    Rebuilt Vanos: Vanos seals and Rattle Repair Kit
    M50 Vanos Tool Kit Complete
    New Upper Timing Chain From Dr. Vanos - Racing version
    Chain Tensioner for Crankshaft to Exhaust Cam Chain
    New Secondary Tensioner for upper timing chain
    Fuel Pump Assembly with Fuel Level Sending Unit
    Breather Hose Connector Reducer: Genuine BMW
    Breather Hose Connector - Front of Valve Cover with O-Ring Brand
    New NGK Spark Plugs
    Valve Cover Gasket Set
    Oil Filter Housing To Block Brand: Genuine BMW
    New ICV Connetor and Hose
    Valve Cover Nut Seal
    Valve Cover Sealing Ring
    Oil Dipstip Lower Seal
    Gasket for Throttle Body
    Intake Manifold Gasket set
    Engine Oil Drain Plug OEM
    Cover Trim Cap - Engine Coil Cover / Fuel Injector Cover 2
    Cooling/Heating System
    New Upper and Lower Radiator Hose and Clamps
    Rear Coolant Hose to Water Valve
    Aluminum water pump housing
    Thermostat Housing Gasket
    Wahler Thermostat
    Expansion Tank
    Mounting Clip for Coolant Expansion Tank
    Radiator Cap
    Blower Motor
    Behr Blower Resistor for A/C
    Cabin Air Filter Activated Charcoal
    Transmission
    UUC Ultimate Short Shifter Complete kit includes cartridge bearings and delrin carrier bushings.
    UUC DSSR - Double Shear Selector Rod, replacement for OE selector rod.
    Custom Made Solid aluminum transmission mount bushings.
    Redline D4 ATF Transmission fluid with
    New OEM filler and drain plugs

Front Suspension
    Ball Joint Left Both
    Ball Joint Right Both
    Lemfoerder Full Tie Rod Assembly (Inner and Outer) Tie Rod Assembly (Right)
    Lemfoerder Full Tie Rod Assembly (Inner and Outer) Tie Rod Assembly (Left)
    Lock Plate for Tie Rod to Rack
    Powerflex Front Control Arm Bushing Set, Offset Mounting Hole
    Rear Suspension
    Meyle HD rear shock mount (RSM)
    Sachs Rear Shocks Right and Left
    Exhaust
    UUC Full Catback System exhaust - ROUND tips and Gasket
    Brakes and Wheel Assembly
    Stainless steel braided brake lines at all corners
    ATF-Super Blue High Temp Racing Brake Fluid
    New Rear Brake Rotors
    New Front Brake Rotors
    Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads (Front)
    Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads (Rear)
    Newly Emergency Brake Lever
    New Rear Emergency Brake Shoes
    New Emergency Brake Shoe Spring Return Kit
    New Front Brake Rotors
    New Rear Passenger Side Wheel Bearing
    Intake System
    Air Intake
    K&N Air Filter
    ECM modified chip/ROM back Done at the dealer in 1994. Still have the stock ROM as well
    Head Lights
    Depo Euro Style Glass Headlight housing
    -Full Bi-xenon HID Retrofit Best components purchased
    -1 x Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit (FXR-IV)
    -Ballasts Denso Slim (35w)
    -Bulbs New Osram D2S CBI 5000K
    -Projectors LHD (2.5" lens)
    -Wire Harness Relay: 9006
    RQ Hardware Mounting Bracket: BMW E36 (FX-R 2.5"):
    Headlight Switch Replaced
    Clear Turn Signal Lens Housing
    Amber Turn Signal Bulbs
    Last edited by E85STI; 12-19-2020 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Personally I think you should keep the car. You have a lot into it. And you had it for many years. But I do understand the frustration, of always finding new problems. But at least you have a car that you know exactly what is in it, and what it needs. If you sell it, and buy another used car, no matter how good it looks on the surface, you are still going to have things that will need attention. And could end up being in worse condition than the one you have now.
    Rust is one of the worst things, but is also expected with older cars. I bought my 93 325is 6 years ago. At first I thought it was a pretty solid car, and had inspected it thoroughly. Later I found out that both rear floors where are nothing but rust, and held together by the very thick Factory undercoating. Then noticed that the rear subframe mount, was also rusted through. And one of the subframe mounting bushings had broken free. I stripped the car down, replaced all of the bad metal, added reinforcements, and replace the rear subframe with a reinforced one. So at least now I know the car is solid.
    Believe me, quite a few times I thought about just getting rid of it and starting over. But I've seen too many other people going through the same problems with a car they just bought.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    yay
    ^ +1

You've already replaced almost every part on the car.

I'd consider keeping it and planning for bodywork + respray while the engine is out.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I think we are overlooking the rust.... typically rear quarter rust is typically bad! I’d hate to advise anyone to put money in a E36 with rust.... typical or otherwise.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    I think we are overlooking the rust.... typically rear quarter rust is typically bad! I’d hate to advise anyone to put money in a E36 with rust.... typical or otherwise.
    This is my main issue or concern. If the car had no rust I wouldn't hesitate to keep it in my garage for another year or so until I recover from surgery and feel like continuing.

Here is the side with the rust. As you can see it's really bad at the rear section. I know I could drive the car for years without issue, but I'm struggling with doing so. Sorry for all the whining, just thinking the process out loud.

IMG_20200229_175857.jpgIMG_20200229_175900.jpg

My Cars
    skateboard
    That’s not that bad.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    That’s not that bad.
    I completely agree. That's only sheet metal. And not really that difficult or expensive to repair. Now if you have rust on the front frame rails, or any other structural pieces, then I would be concerned.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    These are all very good points. I appreciate all the feedback.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Another option is to continue the build on the engine, and get rid of the current chassis to free up space, and find another car in a year or so. The risk there is maybe you'll be spending more than the cost of rust repair / potential paint on this chassis, but you might be able to find a CA/AZ car with less rust, then you just swap engines.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    E36
    The rust isn't bad. You should at least finish the motor build but I've enjoyed/learned a lot from this thread so far. Thanks for that.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    Another option is to continue the build on the engine, and get rid of the current chassis to free up space, and find another car in a year or so. The risk there is maybe you'll be spending more than the cost of rust repair / potential paint on this chassis, but you might be able to find a CA/AZ car with less rust, then you just swap engines.
    Thanks for the input. I have thought about this as a possible option but it has been difficult finding another M3 that is in good shape with a blown motor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    The rust isn't bad. You should at least finish the motor build but I've enjoyed/learned a lot from this thread so far. Thanks for that.
    I am glad you were able to learn something or enjoy this thread. I was hoping to post the progress pics as that is what I like seeing in others posts. Just kind of lost my way through the process.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    I think I am leaning towards creating a for sale thread and trying to sell the entire car and parts as one if possible. I really don't want to deal with trying to part it out.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    So I have a major update to this project. I ended up picking up another M3 in my dream color with zero rust. I am probably going to continue with rebuilding the engine and eventually putting it into the new car in the future or maybe just sell it I'm not sure. I will update this thread with pics of the new car when it arrives in the next day or so. So excited to have that fire reignited for the E36 M3. For a long time I was just losing interest in the entire project but now I have something new to look forward to.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Here is my 98 Estoril Blue M3 with 155k on the odo. Paint has some fade and wear from being in the Texas sun for two decades but is overall pretty decent. The best thing about the car is the fact that there is zero rust on it anywhere! The interior is in really bad shape but thankfully I will be transferring over my all black interior as well as a ton of other parts I've already replaced over the years. My son and I are excited to spend a lot of time together working on the car and getting it back to as near perfect as we can. I am in love with this car!

Here are a few pics.

M32.jpg

M34.jpg

M33.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by E85STI; 04-30-2021 at 05:53 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    New car is GORGEOUS! congrats!
    If you ever want to sell the rear spoiler off the black one, let me know

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Thanks Jason. I will let you know if I end up parting it out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234