Thread: Can't get the top down.

My Cars
    e46 325i Touring M54B30

Can't get the top down.

On a whim I picked up an e36 convertible today it was stupid cheap and of course it has a few issues. I don't see a manual way to open the top. There is a power problem in the car so right now it is a no crank, no start status. I would like to put the yop down to make working on it a bit easier. Any tips or advice?

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert

My Cars
    e46 325i Touring M54B30
    Looks like I need to get the windows down first. ok time to open the door panels and jumper the window drive motors.

Thank you for the link!!!

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    If you pull the red flagged lever under the driver's side rear seat and then use an allen key to turn the release latch (under a little square cover of the plastic header above the windshield) a bazillion times (there's an allen key in the tool kit if yours is still intact) it will release the latch... you have to keep turning until the first segment of the top is almost vertical. Then you can lift the cover of the top storage area, drop the whole roof in there and put the top storage cover back down. NOW push the red flagged handle back into position. You need to then get into the trunk (which will be stuck closed unless the hatch is fully closed ... you will probably need someone pushing on it) pull the carpet away from the motors (left side of the trunk) and snap them back into position... they usually pop back in with a satisfying click but sometimes the front one needs some wiggling of the cog. Now the top should be latched down. You didn't have to open the windows if you don't use the power down.

My Cars
    e46 325i Touring M54B30
    I spent a little time playing with the new toy today. When I bought it, it was inop. No crank no start. I figured it was a parts car at best. But for $200 I wasn't asking too many questions. I was told it just wouldn't start one day. The PO said they put a new battery in. Local shop told them $5-600 to fix it. I took the new (two years ago) battery out, charged it overnight, cleaned the terminals and put it in. Crossed my fingers and turned the key. It fired right up.

The bad, exhaust leak, low brake pad light is on, as is the ABS/traction control light. The rear window is pretty bad (its a convertible) I haven't even checked the oil yet.
    The good, it was only $200, it now runs, all the windows go up and down. The top works, and looks to be in pretty good shape (minus the window) The brakes seem to work, the trans goes into drive and reverse. Engine seems to rev well and is quiet.

I guess I'll give it a good go over and see if I can get it road ready.

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Nice work mate - nice to see someone saving these from the scrapper.

You should be able to pick up an aftermarket rear window for reasonable money. If your window was original, look behind the trim around the window and you will see that they use a zipper to hold them in.

Good luck with it!

Cheers, Mark