Thread: Payload Capacity when Towing

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i

Payload Capacity when Towing

I figured there are probably some folks in here who tow track cars with an X5... I'm thinking about upgrading from my E70 to a new G05 but the payload capacity ratings are a problem. BMW rates the payload capacity as only 849-871 lbs on these vehicles in their internal tech documentation and the yellow stickers on the door jamb. However, the difference between the 6,691 lb GVWR and 4,813 lb curb weight (which is how payload is calculated) is 1,878 lbs. I don't understand why the rated payload is 1,000 lbs short. All of the X5's competitors have payload ratings in the 1,500-2,000 lb rating.

Do any of you consider payload capacity when towing? (The tongue weight of your trailer counts against the payload capacity.)

Do you follow the yellow sticker or GVWR?

Thanks!
    2014 BMW 320i << Ben >> 2019 BMW X5 xDrive50i

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Unless you get a giant truck, all towing is a matter of your risk tolerance. I towed a 24' enclosed with my race car with my 4.4 e53. It worked fine, but I could feel it was at the limit, and would move around a lot. That was around 7500 lbs, probably 500-600 on the tongue. With my F15 3.5d, I tow my 23' camper, around 6000 lbs (this past summer did a 4000 km trip with it). Again, works fine, but it does not like to be over 120kph. Both X5s are rated for 7000lbs in Europe (or around there).

So short answer, I never even looked at the sticker. Respect the max tow rating (I choose to look at the European rating ... because reasons), and if it feels bad, get a dodge 3500 and never think about it again
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    I agree with your post in principle - I also rely on the European tow rating for my E70, given that they aren't engineered any differently for the U.S. other than a less robust OE hitch and I have an Invisihitch that is rated to 7,700 lbs. However both the tow rating and payload rating are equally important to understand your vehicle's capabilities (actual and legal).

So far I've found "yellow sticker" ratings of 849 lbs on two very differently equipped 2019 40i's, 871 lbs on a 2019 50i, and 881 lbs on a 2020 M50i. This is interesting because the yellow sticker rating should vary based on installed options (it didn't between the two 40i's I examined) and it should be much higher in all cases based on the GVWR.

If you take the difference of the GVWR and the curb weight, the 40i should have a payload capacity of 1,349 lbs (6,162 lbs - 4,813 lbs), the 50i should have a payload capacity of 1,290 lbs (6,460 lbs - 5,170 lbs), and the M50i should have a payload capacity of 1,299 lbs (6,559 lbs - 5,260 lbs).

I haven't been able to find any answers through dealers or the BMW Genius line so I've dropped LinkedIn messages to some chassis engineers at BMW. I hope someone replies!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    My opinion is that the US down rated towing capacities are a result of our legal system. Tow what you are comfortable with. However, if you find yourself in a law suit, you better believe that opposing council will bring payloads and capacity into play.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Are you measuring curb weight for each vehicle when calculating payload, or using the published curb weight?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I had a customer who bought this boat and had an e53 x5 v8, so he calls and said he needs to tow this new boat I say how big is it, it's a Yamaha and he gives me the model I look it up and it's huge and weights a lot. The guy I worked with has ski boats so we're talking looking up gross vehicle weight and come to find out there is no possible way he is going to be able to tow this with the x5 plus the short wheel base would make it a handful. I call him back I told him he needs to go buy a truck with the tow package. So he says I ah e a boat and nothing to tow it with I say that's right. So he went and bought a truck, he was a higher up person in the bevmo group so he had the funds, but he definetly did not do any research about it.

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    Are you measuring curb weight for each vehicle when calculating payload, or using the published curb weight?
    I'm using the published curb weight. I believe I know where you're going with that, that the yellow sticker is customized for that car based on installed options, except BMW doesn't do that. They print the same number on all cars in a trim level. I saw 849 lbs on a loaded 2019 40i M Sport with air suspension and the factory trailer hitch - and I saw the same figure on a 2020 40i with basically no options.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
    I'm using the published curb weight. I believe I know where you're going with that, that the yellow sticker is customized for that car based on installed options, except BMW doesn't do that. They print the same number on all cars in a trim level. I saw 849 lbs on a loaded 2019 40i M Sport with air suspension and the factory trailer hitch - and I saw the same figure on a 2020 40i with basically no options.
    Yep, you know where I'm going then. I don't think that the sticker is the same for all cars in a trim level. Sure, same payload with different options, but could it be that the GVWR is different or the tires equipped on the zero option car have a lower weight rating?

There's a lot that plays into final payload numbers. I'd go by the sticker on the door to be safe. If you're overloaded and get into an accident, it may come back to bite you because you ignored the stated limits of the car.
    Last edited by MINIz guy; 02-12-2020 at 09:25 AM.

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    The stickers on the 7 cars I've looked at match the trim level ratings in the tech spec sheet below. I'm not sure what "100% of SAa and 33% of SAb" means though, perhaps that is key to finding the missing 500 lbs.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Can't see any picture. I guess BMW could take the heaviest X5 of that trim level and say that is the maximum payload for all across the board as an easy way out. I'm not sure what type of issues you'll have if you crash and NTSA/insurance/whatever finds out you've overloaded your car. Even still, 4 250lb men would overload the X5, and I would think an X5 can fit 4 men that size comfortably.

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    I asked a BMW chassis engineer via LinkedIn and got the following reply:

The official technical specification of “Curb Weight” is using a completely base version of that model, i.e. all standard equipment only, and NO options specified (+full tank of gas).

The GVWR is the technical specification for the total amount of loading the vehicle can handle, which includes any factory options. Since each vehicle is optioned completely differently, the technical specification provided for Payload Capacity therefore assumes a “fully loaded” vehicle, i.e. every possible option box ticked. This can be upwards of 550+ lbs (not an exact number), and therefore results in the perceived lower payload capacity. This is essentially the most conservative estimate, as it really depends on each vehicle.

So, in summary, if you do wish to purchase a G05 X5 and have the most available payload capacity, you would therefore want to select a base model with as few options as possible. I know it may be more complicated, but perhaps the dealer has a vehicle scale and could weigh a few differently optioned vehicles for you (with a full tank of gas), so you knew the true payload capacity for each.

And as a side-note, while air suspension might add some weight to the vehicle itself, it also will help with self-leveling when you do have a full payload, and should improve the overall handling in those situations.
    It sounds like BMW is using the worst-case scenario in terms of optional equipment for the payload sticker, similar to what they did with the F15. GVWR is the real capacity rating of the vehicle and the only way to figure your vehicle's payload capacity is to visit a vehicle scale.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    Its not just the towing capacity but the braking capacity that you need to take into consideration. That's part of why they have a limit on what you can throw behind you.

Keep in mind that if you tow overweight and you get into an accident, you'd better have a high net worth because your insurance company may not cover you and you *will* lose the lawsuit. Towing is some serious schait and you'd better know what you're doing.

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    I'm pretty sure the towing capacity considers braking capacity as one of the major inputs...

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    So short answer, I never even looked at the sticker. Respect the max tow rating (I choose to look at the European rating ... because reasons), and if it feels bad, get a dodge 3500 and never think about it again
    This
    Unless you are going t get a superlight open aluminum trailer, get a truck type vehicle for towing and never look back.
    I towed with an SUV when I first started towing my E30 track car and after more than a few white knuckle moments thanking various dieties and dearly departed family members looking down on me I got a large american pickup truck and never looked back. Buy more truck than you think you need and tow with one finger on the wheel while adjusting the AC and the cruise control.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    '14 320i, '19 X5 50i
    I bought a 2019 X5 50i today after checking the curb weight at a local scale. It has a GVWR of 6,460 pounds and weighed 5,240 pounds which means an actual payload capacity of 1,220 pounds versus the yellow sticker rating of 871 pounds.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    I'd be more worried about the towing capacity and the weight of the trailer + load. Payload of the trailer (tongue) is only around 10-15% of the trailer weight. Do remember the payload capacity also takes into account the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, etc.

Not sure if you have an aluminum or steel trailer but you're going to be pretty close to capacity on both payload and towing.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    I can't speak to the newest X5's but I towed happily with a 2015 X5 diesel with rear air springs. I towed an open steel trailer with tire rack + E36 racecar filled with stuff. It was stable at 80mph and stopped just fine. I never weighed the tongue weight but I wasn't afraid to load the racecar pretty far forward.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    My opinion is that the US down rated towing capacities are a result of our legal system.
    In Germany, a car (aka anything that's not a commercial truck) towing a trailer is limited to 80kph (50mph). If that trailer is braked, is specifically certified to travel at 100kph, and is less than 20% heavier than the tow vehicle you can take it all the way up to 100kph (62mph). If you want to tow a trailer heavier than 1600lbs, you need a special license class that involves an entire extra day of schooling - 2.5 hours of theory on regulations, loading, towing, then 3.5 hours of practicing lane changes, parking, maneuvering, then an hour of driving in traffic.

On top of all of that, traditional tongue weights are less than 10% in Europe. A lower tongue weight puts less load on the vehicle's suspension, but greatly decreases stability at speed. In America, recommended tongue weights are 10-15% for greater stability at high speeds.

So when BMW gives a tow rating to be used in Germany, it assumes:
    1. The vehicle will never be going more than 62mph
    2. The driver is specifically well-trained in how to tow
    3. The percent of the trailer weight that's actually hitting the rear suspension is low

When BMW gives a tow rating in America it assumes:
    1. The vehicle will be going at least 70mph, and potentially up to the 80-85mph speed limits here
    2. The driver will have basically no training in driving at all, let alone towing, how to load a trailer, and how to safely handle a trailer at speed
    3. The trailer will be putting at least 15% of its load on the vehicle's suspension, greatly increasing the stress on the rear suspension

It has nothing to do with sue-happy Americans, and everything to do with how any idiot can roll up to a U-Haul, get their hugest trailer, and blast down the interstate at 80mph. It's the reality of towing in America.

If you wanted to tow a 7500lb enclosed car trailer with a 4800lb X5 in Germany, you'd be limited to 50mph, and you'd have your Class BE licence, which is above and beyond even the requirements I listed above.