Thread: Radio Antenna Rear Wiring Path

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert

Radio Antenna Rear Wiring Path

I had to take out the antenna in my 92' 325i convertible to replace the seal around it, and in doing so, the threads of the coax cable broke off and is embedded in the connector. The entire plastic/metal infused body of the antenna piece was so cracked that it was a problem waiting to happen. I am looking to get a replacement rear wiring part (PN:65221394201). Does anyone know how exactly the wire snakes to the front? Is the coax and power connector both attach to it's mates all the way in the front? I only saw that it snakes with the other radio amplifier wires and assuming it snakes on the drivers side?

Also, there was no speaker output prior to me taking out the antenna. The radio turns on, the antenna works up and down, so I was assuming it may have been the coax cable. Any other places to look?

My Cars
    1988 320i Convertible
    When looking at the trunk, the antenna power & coax exit out of the trunk at the bottom LH side of the trunk & back seat.
    Goes through a rubber grommet and then under the back seat and through the LH footwell, up into the dash and then the head unit.
    Red wire & white wire for power antenna follows a similar path.

Previous owner spliced in a manual antenna.
    Removed that and put a good quality used hirschmann back in.
    Was able to salvage the coax and make everyting work.

Do you have the OE head unit or aftermarket?

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert
    Does the wire go underneath the back seat or within the side paneling where the speakers are and then along the lower side door sill?

I have the OE head unit. The antenna is a Hirschmann 6000el. Based on realoem, they are not replaced by the 6000ek. I looked at getting a replacement antenna assembly, but what I have found look to be for the 6000ek. The 6000el has two separate cylindrical rod pieces. One mates to the plastic housing and has a screw to keep it in and the bottom section fits inside the unit. The one inside the unit is smaller than the inner diameter of the top section. Whereas the 6000ek has one single piece due to the different housing design...

I don't think I'll be able to salvage the coax just because that metal infused plastic material is super stuck in the connector threads. was picking at it for quite some time with no success. May be easier to reroute a new cable.
    Last edited by dcwang3; 02-14-2020 at 09:04 PM.

My Cars
    1988 320i Convertible
    I have an '88 Euro model (chrome bumper but later model) and the coax is grey and was routed under the seat & then under the carpet

My Cars
    E30 325i
    In my car the coax runs through the grommet in the boot with the rest of the wires, under the rear seat, along the edge of the floor then up into the dash.