Thread: OPG Leak after replacing?

My Cars
    1998 328is

OPG Leak after replacing?

as the title states.... i just got done replacing my oil pan gasket but it seems to be seeping out slightly by the front left corner of the engine like where the ac compressor is, i dont get it though, i used sealer in all 4 corners with rtv grey, even did the oil pump nut mod, and to top it off theres oil also coming from the bottom ac compressor bracket bolt -_-

just not sure what to do now, rlly dont want to remove the subframe again that was alot of struggle
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Was it leaking there before the job? Because it could be the front timing cover. Also those front bolts for the pan into aluminum and can strip easily, they were stripped on mine had to tap new threads. One of those bolts only held with 3 threads but can be drilled out and taped with a longer thread.

The front timing cover leak can be fixed without removing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever done the OFH gasket?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 328is
    not sure if it was leaking or not because honestly there were multiple leaks at the time, like leaking drain bolt, ofhg and vanos line that have all been adressed now but im not sure if it really is leaking from the timing cover or maybe i tightened the pan down in the wrong sequence? whats the way to fix the timing cover leak
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Thoroughly clean and degrease the seam that meets the oil pan, also have the front end raised so that oil is not at the front of the pan. Apply RTV silicone to the seam, go as high as you can but basically only has to be a bit higher than the oil level. Let it cure for a full day before lowering the car back down. There's going to be a lot of grim so take your time cleaning up the area.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 328is
    ok so i just took a video of the big leak, it seems to be coming from the timing cover/head gasket? not sure but take a look at it n let me know what you think, i added a dye to it to make it show green
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BsfFyMfi4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    2001 525it
    From the vanos unit

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    From the vanos unit
    are you sure? it looks to be at the timing cover and head gasket location?
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The part of the timing cover leak I was referring to is the vertical section that meets the oil pan.

I'm surprised oil comes out so easily from that section, does it piss out when the engine runs?? I personally don't know how oil could be under pressure at that point. If it does piss out under pressure then it has to be taken apart with new gasket/seal installed. If it's not under pressure (I don't think it should be) you can do what I mentioned above, thoroughly degrease the area (20x) till it's dry then run a thick bead of silicone RTV (permatex) and let it cure for a day before using the car. This won't ruin anything and will be a good temp fix and you can fix it another day if you like. With the permatex your not just filling the crease but your joining the two aluminum parts, so bridge it to both aluminum pieces, and go past the start and end of the leak. I would do that because taking the timing cover off involves removing the main crank pulley.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    The part of the timing cover leak I was referring to is the vertical section that meets the oil pan.

I'm surprised oil comes out so easily from that section, does it piss out when the engine runs?? I personally don't know how oil could be under pressure at that point. If it does piss out under pressure then it has to be taken apart with new gasket/seal installed. If it's not under pressure (I don't think it should be) you can do what I mentioned above, thoroughly degrease the area (20x) till it's dry then run a thick bead of silicone RTV (permatex) and let it cure for a day before using the car. This won't ruin anything and will be a good temp fix and you can fix it another day if you like. With the permatex your not just filling the crease but your joining the two aluminum parts, so bridge it to both aluminum pieces, and go past the start and end of the leak. I would do that because taking the timing cover off involves removing the main crank pulley.
    i was suprised to, no when the engine is running it barely comes out of their, but soon as i turn it off it starts weeping out that area, i wont be able to drive like that so ill def need to put some gasket maker over it and see how that works cuz i really dont want to tear the front of the engine apart, so just to be clear this would be a timing cover leak? or would you say more of a headgasket, the car doesent overheat or anything it just pisses oil
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Don't buy gasket maker, get an RTV Permatex silicone that seals. I'm sure there's a dozen different kinds.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Don't buy gasket maker, get an RTV Permatex silicone that seals. I'm sure there's a dozen different kinds.
    A lot of ppl on the forum were saying to use this product? do you reccomend
    Permatex 82099 Spray Sealant, 9 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018PW15I..._BS0qEbWCT1ZXP
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Well after applying Red rtv to the leaking area, it seems to have stopped pouring out that area, it’s more then likely leaking 1/10 of the original leak but at least I don’t need to tear apart the engine just to fix a leaking gasket for now, much better difference.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)