Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Fix for CarPlay Issues

My Cars
    2020 BMW X7 M50i

Fix for CarPlay Issues

Greetings!

I bought my first BMW 2 days ago (2020 X7 M50i, slightly used w/2k miles) and for the most part have been over-the-moon happy with it. The only issue I had was that the Bluetooth/Wifi/CarPlay connectivity wasn't working properly. Sometimes I was able to get it working, but it would disconnect eventually. If I tried to re-pair my phone it would work some of the time, but CarPlay would never enable. Etc Etc....

I tried everything - restored to factory settings, upgraded (and downgraded) my iOS on my phone, nothing seemed to work. I went to a local BMW dealer and had one of the Geniuses look at it, he was stumped. I searched forums for answers but came up empty.

In the end, this is what fixed it for me -- Do not sync Contacts and Favorites when initially pairing your phone!

I have a lot of contacts in my phone - and I guess it makes sense why attempting to sync them (prior to enabling CarPlay) would cause the BT connection to sputter. Plus, if you use CarPlay, you don't need to sync as it's only for the iDrive connectivity option. Choosing not to sync allowed the rest of the pairing/CarPlay initialization process to complete without any issues. Such a headache, but such a simple fix in the end.

Anyway, just wanted to post this for the next person who has the same issue. It would've saved me a ton of time for sure.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Good stuff here for the heads up and writing it into a thread here so it can be searched for when using similar terms - always helpful to the community of owners !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    i8
    #ConnectedApp

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5 xDrive35i
    Thanks for posting this, cmf5. This may be my issue as I think I did sync. I'll see if I can 'unsync' now.

My Cars
    2020 X7, 2009 M3
    I had the same issues with 202 X7. It didn’t work for almost 6 months. Brand new truck. Software update fixed the problems. That was done in November. Has worked with no issues since then.