Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Shaving Wheel Hub (Offset Clearance)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Shaving Wheel Hub (Offset Clearance)

Im in a dilemma. Two of my wheels from a set 4 got damaged by me hititng a pothole on one side. They were non repairable so I was left with two good wheels (Type 4 Scnitzer Replicas). The company (Moven) no longer exists and I cannot find these wheels anywhere for years. Recently i went searching again on the internet and ebayt to be specific and found a set but i only needed two. So i was sleptical at first but i took the chance and ordered the wheels. They were from this guy in Russia which made me even more skeptical but i took the chance anyway. My wheels finally arrived and they looked like an exact match. As i looked closer i noticed the two new wheels were slightly concaved and my originals are not. So started mt dilemma. I went to get them puton thinking they would fit with no problem because my rear feneders arre rolled but there is a problem. They stick out far enough to cause an issue. Theyre rubbing. The place i took it to wants to charge me $50 per wheel to shave but they say they are not sure if they will be able to and they want to charge $100 per fender to roll SMH.

So by my estimartion I need at least 10mm clearance. i can work on getting more clearance by messing with the camber and seeing if my fenders can be rolled anymore to gain a few more mm. The place i took it to shyed away from wanting to shave the wheel hub. I told the m i accept full responsibility. They said the best they may be to get out of them is 3-5mm.

So my question is, is this worth it?? Im keeping the wheels. Im sure i cant return them now after mounting them especially to Russia. Is there any other way or recommendations for me to get more clearance?? Has anyone shaved there wheel hubs before?? I believe the bolt depth i have to play with now is about 12mm and I want to have at least 5mm shaved. Does anyone know anywhere in the Atlanta area that will do it??

Any input is welcomed. I already know im going to get a lot of safety comments and dont do it comments. Im looking more for folks who have done it whtehr it failed or was a success.

Thanks in advance

1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

This is where research before parting with money is crucial !

Are the two wheels from the Russian seller genuine AC Schnitzer Type 4 wheels? it's the offsets you need to get right for the fitment on your car and sounds as though you've purchased the wrong offset wheels for the right fitment for a 3 series (M3 in your case). Is it worth spending money on replica wheels? myself and many others would say no, but it's up to you of course. The problem with removing metal from wheels is that it alters the structural integrity of the wheel, replica's aren't all that strong in the first place, so you'd only be reducing it if you were to go ahead and machine them.

I've never machined wheels this way and never will. Other's who have might chime in, but I wouldn't hold your breath on this on this forum. Check the Stanceworks forum as you will have a better chance of finding someone who's done it.

Lastly, I'd also say there a lot of much better looking wheel choices for an E36 M3 than ACS Type 4's ! maybe now's a good time to find an awesome looking set that makes the E36 M3 look similar awesome !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I was so excited to find the wheels to complete my set i never even thought of double checking the offset. BTW i made a mistake the wheels i have are the type 3 Schnitzer. not that that makes a whole lot of difference. Ill check out the stanceworks forum and see if i get any ideas there as well. I am keeping thee wheels since im basically stuck with them.

Thanks