RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Is my mechanic trying to take my money?!Please help!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

Question Is my mechanic trying to take my money?!Please help!

I bought a 2006 330 I and after buying it one day the car just shut off and I thought I needed to just put coolant into the car and come to find out I had to replace the radiator and battery which at this point I have done. however the original estimate was from Pep Boys when I took my car to my regular mechanic they told me that there were several other things that need to be fixed/replaced:

-the oil can gasket
    -the oil filter gasket
    -transmission pan gasket
    -valve cover gasket
    -the lower strut bushing.

The radiator and battery (with all of the hoses needing to be replaced) cost me around $1300. I got a flat tire last and today I am replacing all 4 tires (with standard tires not run flats bTw). Before I say this next part let me start by saying I am planning to get everything on this list repaired/replaced but I asked the mechanic what was the MOST important to the safety/integrity of the car (so I don’t cause further damage)to get done first & what can I hold off on until later when I have the money for it. After looking online myself I basically got the sand answer everywhere that driving the car with the oil/transmission gaskets needing to be replaced is not dangerous so long as the oil and transmission. fluid isn’t leaking too much/fast and are at the level they need to be. Can I go ahead and just get the lower strap bushing replaced and then over the next few weeks/months tackle the other things 1by1. Getting all this work done is going to already put me over what I paid for this car but I love the car is beautiful and it’ll be worth it in the long run if after I get all of it done I have relatively speaking, a new car.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    FIRST avoid Pep Boys as if venereal disease, seriously, these guys are Earl Scheib with a wrench. Fine for fixing that old Corolla but not for this car.
    Find someone familiar with BMWs. Ask your local BMW club for someone well regarded in your area.
    Nothing on your list is out of the ordinary. The oil pan gasket is labor intensive so an expensive job.
    Not sure what "lower strut bushing" is but BMWs do eat suspension bushings with amazing regularity.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-07-2020 at 06:32 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Try www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Pep boys, you can do much better than tha, find a good independent shop who knows what there doing and you own a high maintance car too

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The oil filter housing gasket is probably the only important one on that list, because it holds pressurized oil, the others don't. Suspension stuff can usually wait till you notice a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2002, 530i, 170k
    Quote Originally Posted by Merritmm View Post
    I bought a 2006 330 I and............estimate was from Pep Boys when I took my car to my regular mechanic they told me that there were several other things that need to be fixed/replaced: .
    As others said, do not go to Pep Boys! DO Not! Any local BMW mechanic via Google Search would be better off than PB. Start spending some here and you'll get valuable guidance from folks on this board. There was time when I did not know how to change tires on my father's vehicle but slowly over time, with guidance, you'll be able to make somewhat wise decision.
    If you are in Central NJ area, I wouldn't mind helping (no cost) from stuff that I learned from here.
    All the best!