Thread: E36 Typical aftermarket Shocks Springs VS Coilovers

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is

E36 Typical aftermarket Shocks Springs VS Adjustable Coilovers

Searched different forums for a couple days and couldn't find a Sort of be all end all. The threads usually get way off topic and end up talking about how bad a car looks "stanced" or "nonfunctional" because its so low. Websites just talk about how their product is better then another.

My 328is had B8s with a Sport Ebach springs that I really enjoyed for the most part of 210k that I added to the car.

Not a lot of body roll through corners, and I live in Washington where the roads are not so awesome but was a really comfortable ride.

I just purchased a E36 M with dinan springs and Koni shocks. Suspension is functional but even my girlfriend noticed it had more body roll and ride wasnt as smooth as my 328is was.

My initial thought now was "look into coil overs, everyone has them and there great". Started looking at pricing and noticed new was priced the similar with coils usually being a bit higher. So I started looking at threads and was reading that if you don't track your car or NEED the adjustability, shocks and springs all around are just as good or better in some cases. Coils are solid through a turn but a little harsher of a Daily ride seems to be the general consensuses.

I am usually patient when looking for car parts and saw a used set of B8s (preferred choice) pop up with Ebach springs for 300 (typically 400 range) Then I also saw a set of B16 PSS9s pop up for 480 shipped, Granted both are lightly used really clean sets. In all reality the 180 i saw price difference isn't a BIG deal in the scheme of things so it had me thinking which way to go.

With my 328 Bilstien/Ebach set up I really had no complaints except the wheel gap on my front wheels was about half a inch higher then I'd like which could be remedied with front race springs.

I'm curious how you guys see the differences between the two in your E36s because I'm sure a bunch of you have made the swap between the two. Below is a comparison of what I've read kinda one vs one, feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed in any way or add anything i missed.

Springs/Shocks
    One Set height
    Smoother Ride
    More Ideal for Daily/Street Driving
    Budget friendly

Ajustable CoilOvers.
    Height/damper Adjustment
    Rougher daily ride
    Ideal for tracking
    Ideal for wheel fitments
    Usually Purchased with camber plates for adjustment

These are things I've read about on B8 w/ Various Sport springs and KW/PSS9 coil overs.

(If a mod Tows it to suspension section I get it, I figured it fit here more because I was looking at E36s specific)
    Last edited by H2oiamwater; 02-07-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Need graphic design work? LookAtMeSmile.com

Quote Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
    Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    "springs/shocks" is the same as "coilovers". stock bmw suspensions are "coil over spring". the difference is only that what people call "coilovers" have an adjustable perch for the spring so you can change ride height in the front.

neither setup is "rougher" or "smoother" ride than the other. that depends entirely on what springs and what dampers are used. either of your categories could be rougher or smoother than the other.

as a side note...don't get billy sports(b8) for an M3. they suck. too short for even stock springs. they ride harshly on the internal bump stops even if you cut them. BTDT. now have Koni's. way better for street and track.
    Last edited by mlytle; 02-07-2020 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    I knew that lol ....I guess i should have been more specific and mentioned Adjustable Coilovers.

One of the main things i read about adjustable coilovers lot of people complained even at the softest setting it was still a rougher ride. Thats over a KW and PSS9 set. Haven't read too much people talking about the BC coilovers.

Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    again...the "adjustable" spring perch has nothing to do with the ride. it all depends on what rate the springs are and if the damping in the struts/shocks matches the spring rate. can't make sweeping generalizations about "adjustable coilovers". it depends on the specific brand/model. the current Ground Control "adjustable" setup i have with Koni dampers is WAY better ride and suspension control than the billy sports and stock springs combo i had on my e36 M3.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    I know the perch has nothing to do with Ride, its all adjustment. lol

This is the first time I've read about the shocks and spring matching up. Only thing close to that I've read is people switching out different spring rates but cant find specifics/charts or anything of why and people adjusting the dampers but nothing coinciding one to another.

There any charts or set information on this to help "tune" which spring rates and damper adjustment?

My Cars
    99 M3

E36 Typical aftermarket Shocks Springs VS Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by H2oiamwater View Post
    There any charts or set information on this to help "tune" which spring rates and damper adjustment?
    The knowledge lies with many of the vendors. Contact the people at TCKline or Ground Control for specific with regard to the E36M3 CO setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    Awesome Thanks blup

Where you at in town and what do you drive? go out to any meets