Thread: Low Compression Nitrous m50?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

Low Compression Nitrous m50?

Hey y'all,

I am usually just lurking around here especially since my e36 has been down for a LONG time now. I was originally going to go built motor, turbo, and a bunch of other fancy stuff but I ended up buying another car after tearing my whole motor down. So, i decided to kind of stick to something more simple and bought a new bottom end and resealed it to my head using an MLS spacer and some cutring gaskets (which drops compression down to something dumb like 8:5:1). This whole process took a long long time since I've been so busy with life but i finally got the motor in the car, just need to sort out the harness and intake manifold stuff. But of course, my other car blew up and that takes a pretty huge financial hit so I'll probably be storing the e36 until I can get turbo stuff together.

The other day, though, I started wondering if i could do a relatively cheap nitrous setup. Honestly, the car is not my daily and if it breaks, so be it. Just wondering what the part recommendations would be, how much power can i look at making (semi reliably), tuning options, and cost (im thinking <$2500?)?

Let me know what you guys think and whether its even a good idea. Honest opinions ARE welcome.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I've gone down this road, and I would recommend forking out the $$$ for the turbo instead.

I ran an NX direct port system initially, then upgraded to a WON direct port system, then changed to turbo, then added a single stage nitrous fogger, and now I'm putting both a single fogger and direct port nitrous setup on a turbo system. (Big turbo)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    I've gone down this road, and I would recommend forking out the $$$ for the turbo instead.

I ran an NX direct port system initially, then upgraded to a WON direct port system, then changed to turbo, then added a single stage nitrous fogger, and now I'm putting both a single fogger and direct port nitrous setup on a turbo system. (Big turbo)
    Why do you say to go for turbo first? I'm assuming it costs more in the long run to go in those stages?

and how much power did you end up making when you were on nos only?

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Ill put it this way. I have a zex kit and a couple NOS solenoids sitting in a box in the garage. to be able to run nitrous to the level of safety that i want, itd be easier and still safer to just turbo my s52

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I ran nos years ago on another car, just a basic on/off 75 hp kit. It was fun but full time power whenever you want it is more fun. With nos, valve has to be opened, the bottle has to be warm to maintain pressure in cold weather, the tank only provides so much power for so long, a progressive controller is ideal, direct port is better than a single fogger, etc. If you can do the turbo you will be happier and with a decent turbo system you won’t feel any need for nos.

My Cars
    Bima
    idk how much nitrous is now a days but i was running a 50 shot on an m20 probably made like 200hp
    but i was buying a refill every week for maybe a year
    with money spent on refills alone literally was the price of my turbo system
    back then i just got ssautochrome ebay deals in total about 2,500

nitrous is not a good idea money wise turbo is where it's at.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ameld608 View Post
    Why do you say to go for turbo first? I'm assuming it costs more in the long run to go in those stages?

and how much power did you end up making when you were on nos only?

Engine made 232rwhp on a Dynojet N/A, and 430rwhp with nitrous. That system was about $10k in "stuff", so I wouldn't call it something practical for the average person.