Thread: Replacing drivers mirror

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil

Replacing drivers mirror

Hey everyone, need a little help understanding whihc mirror and related parts i needto completely replace my drivers mirror. A fine, upstanding, defnintely legal citizen of our country decided to merge into me on the highway and procede to run. My entire driver mirror is gone at this point.

There seem to be a bunch of options, and realOEM lists several models as well. How do I determine the proper replacement part? I have a very early production 2007 335i, no idea if it has folding mirrors as iv only had the car for a week and haven't even completely explored all the features yet.

My Cars
    325i/Harley/Ducati
    Contact FCP, ECS Tuning, etc. and have your VIN ready.

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    I didn’t know fcp or ecs could look things up by vin.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The mirror is at least 3 pieces maybe 4, the main body (which bolts to the door), the painted cover, maybe a trim ring and the glass, the painted cover comes primered and will have to be painted, your vin will list what opens the car has so you can pick the right one, if you went to the dealer parts department they could print out an estimate with the proper part numbers, also you could buy a used assembly maybe in the right color, look at eBay, Craigslist or like lkq, that would be cheaper.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    My 2008, built in 2007 is confusing in this regard too.
    Per the VIN, the Mirrors do not fold in, yet, per the VIN, the inside door handle has the button to press to retract the Mirrors.
    RealOEM just says "For vehicles equipped with..." for these options. No help there.

The dealer would work.
    My internal door handle with mirror control was replaced at time of purchase, and we got the one with the button even though the mirrors didn't fold in.

Not sure FCP would know at this level...

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    Hoping that my works insurance pays for the repairs being as i was traveling for work, but im definintely plannning on havong to repair everything myself. I emailed FCP, but it sounds like ill probably have to go to the dealer to make 100% sure.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Agreed, as they likely have the only DB stating what options were purchased at initial sale.

Glad you're confident in taking on the project yourself.
    Let us know the results!

Note: I've found I can upload pics here from PC, but not mobile. It may be a thing... it may just be my dumb self.

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    So, good call on giving FCP the vin. They did in fact pull all the info and put a parts list together for me.

THe downside is it looks like $1,070 in parts sine i apparently have heated mirrors...If i replace this with non heated mirror glass, is that going to throw a code in the car? These newer cars have so many electrical aids and fault codes its crazy.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    You can base the options on what your other mirror has too, for confidence's sake.

I'd be looking at wreckers. FCPs warranty is amazing. Still, that's inlets and dow pipe cost. Go used. Pop the shell and paint it to color code, followed by clear coat/wax.

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes2 View Post
    You can base the options on what your other mirror has too, for confidence's sake.

I'd be looking at wreckers. FCPs warranty is amazing. Still, that's inlets and dow pipe cost. Go used. Pop the shell and paint it to color code, followed by clear coat/wax.
    I've been looking on ebay for options. Looks like I can get an entire unit for not too much. If I end up paying myself I'll probably go that route know that I know just how much new is...Still can't believe how expensive the new replacement parts are.