Thread: Want to change my aftermarket subwoofer - ideas?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe

Want to change my aftermarket subwoofer - ideas?

On the 99 Z3 Coupe I bought, the PO installed a Kenwood amp where the CD changer used to be and a twin Kicker subwoofer in an enclosure in the back cargo area. I just bought a new Alpine radio to replace his choice of a Kenwood radio. I also want to replace his subwoofer, while I know it probably is a decent setup, I would prefer something closer to stock looking than this box, which is about 20 inches wide, 12 inches tall, and 10 inches deep, it just takes up too much room.

Yesterday, I opened grille cover where the stock sub is located and it still appears to be mounted in there (at an angle - is that normal?). Ultimately, I may want to hook the stock sub back up but don't know if its compatible with the Kenwood amp. Can anyone give me any guidance on doing this?

If the stock sub won't work, what has anyone else done in their Coupe for a sub? Can I find a decent replacement sub that fits in the stock location? Mind you I'm not likely to be listening to music so loud that the windows vibrate! So I don't want or need a primo setup, just a decent sub.

Also, I'm not sure if it has any value to anyone, but I have the stock radio and CD changer that the PO gave me with the car. If anyone is interested in it, send me a PM and we can talk about it. When I find a replacement for the Kicker setup, it will be ready for a new home too.

Bob

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    https://shop.wickedcas.com/bmw-z3-m-...enclosure.html

I have seen this one or one similar posted here. If I had a coupe this is one I’d look at. The coupe is a little more challenging to upgrade. I have no affiliation with the seller.

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post

I have seen this one or one similar posted here. If I had a coupe this is one I’d look at. The coupe is a little more challenging to upgrade. I have no affiliation with the seller.
    Seems like you might have to remove the flat fix compressor etc. with it on that side. I have a similar sub enclosure, but it's on the other side. Not sure of the brand though.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CLOWN5HOE View Post
    Seems like you might have to remove the flat fix compressor etc. with it on that side. I have a similar sub enclosure, but it's on the other side. Not sure of the brand though.
    I like the look of the enclosure, but that is a bit more of a commitment of $ and space than I'm ready to do right now. I'm going to inspect the factory sub and see if it needs replaced or repaired and if possible I'd like to keep the sub in that space.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If you have the 6” enclosure then it’ll work ok. Replacing the sub in it is a PITA from comments I’ve seen here. A little grinding involved on the kicker brand replacement. I’ve not had a good look at the coupe enclosure to see if it’s like the roadster or shaped differently.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    If you have the 6” enclosure then it’ll work ok. Replacing the sub in it is a PITA from comments I’ve seen here. A little grinding involved on the kicker brand replacement. I’ve not had a good look at the coupe enclosure to see if it’s like the roadster or shaped differently.
    Here are a couple of pics of what I have today. First is the sub that the PO had installed along with a Kenwood amp. The amp sits in the former CD changer location in the cargo area of this coupe. This Kicker unit is a monstrosity, that I will sell after I figure what I can most easily and affordably do to replace it with something smaller. The second pic is of the factory sub location in the coupe. I don't know what the factory unit looked like, but the last two pics are what is in this space, since I don't know if this is the OEM speaker or an aftermarket one that the PO installed. Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

IMG_1090.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1093.jpg IMG_1087.jpg

I'll have to investigate further how to even get into this speaker. There literally is no way that this speaker was installed without removing the back cargo trim that surrounds the entire rear of this car.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of what I have today. First is the sub that the PO had installed along with a Kenwood amp. The amp sits in the former CD changer location in the cargo area of this coupe. This Kicker unit is a monstrosity, that I will sell after I figure what I can most easily and affordably do to replace it with something smaller. The second pic is of the factory sub location in the coupe. I don't know what the factory unit looked like, but the last two pics are what is in this space, since I don't know if this is the OEM speaker or an aftermarket one that the PO installed. Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

IMG_1090.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1093.jpg IMG_1087.jpg

I'll have to investigate further how to even get into this speaker. There literally is no way that this speaker was installed without removing the back cargo trim that surrounds the entire rear of this car.
    Haven’t sorted my speakers yet...however this my help with the cargo disassembly

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Ugh, that ain't happening.....

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe

After reviewing my options for changing the location of the subwoofer, this enclosure from Wicked is starting to look more appealing. Has anyone used this and can they comment on its quality and ease of installation?

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    Haven’t sorted my speakers yet...however this my help with the cargo disassembly

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html
    I did this, and I HOPE I never have to do it again. Getting the back half off is pretty easy though, maybe around 30 mins. It's the front side wall panels that are an incredible PITA.

I'll try to snap a photo of my sub and post it later.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Given that I have a coupe and not a roadster, where a small sub can be mounted in the center pedestal between the two front seats, my sub is in the rear cargo compartment. As you can see in the pictures (above post) it is a rather sizeable Kicker unit. While this may be a decent unit, it far too large for my taste. Are there any recommendations for a decent but smaller foot print subwoofer?

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Here's a pic of my sub as promised. I don't know what brand it is, but it fits well and sounds good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CLOWN5HOE; 02-19-2020 at 01:39 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe
    the PO installed a hi sensitivty MID range in the factory sub enclosure??? just wow
    Thanks, Jason
    2000 BMW M-Coupe

2019 M-B GLC300
    2019 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EB3.5
    1995 Mustang GT "Lemons Car"

My Cars
    2000 Z3, 2013 X5
    Greetings all, I rarely post but have read most of the threads. Thank everybody for adding to this great resource. I have owned my Z3 for about 3 years now and still love it.

I had a custom audio shop in Houston build a sub enclosure for the space where the OEM Sub went. It's about 0.5 cu.ft. There is a separate amp for the sub mounted in the cargo space. It works, It is not high end.

Once again I have thank all of the contributors for all of your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 X5 i35
    2000 Z3 2.3
    1996 Jeep Cherokee
    1976 TR6
    1969 Austin-Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Looks good
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."