Thread: BMW Street Carver...any Z3 owners here tried this skateboard?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster

BMW Street Carver...any Z3 owners here tried this skateboard?

I'm keen on trying this out...

They seem to fetch a pretty penny--2-3x what one pays for a good new board.
    But the design is considered noteworthy and the style is compelling to me.

Any advice?
    Thanks for your time,
    Brad

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    My last skateboard had clay wheels, so I can't offer any advice
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    You’ll injure yourself (just like you’ll shoot your eye out like Ralphie in X-mas story) My last board was at the beginning of the urethane wheels and I have a nice scar from surgery on my elbow to prove it.

My Cars
    02 M3 Coupe, 01 Z3 Coupe

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    thanks for sharing. pretty neat. Seems to bottom out too easily. Kind of dangerous. haha

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I gotta show this to my skateboard guru friend. He used to skate down a treacherous mountain pass near our college campus in Golden, CO and would hit speeds in the 50s. After day 1 of our Lemons races he always does a lap of the track in full pads and helmet on his electric board. His lap times aren't awful either lol.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 m coupe
    The BMW board is good for a wall hanger. It is more of a gimmick than a performer.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Thank for the input. I have a '77-style Alva board with Independent trucks--built a lot like something I rode in the early 1980s before decks got so dang wide and wheels got so small. I am tempted to get one of these BMW boards just for flat riding and because so few were made (and so few seem to be available today) that I think it will not lose value. I was fairly certain it is useless for tricks and pipes...that video proves it.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 02-08-2020 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I pulled the trigger, so this is incoming:

I also managed to find out they made a scooter called the Slide Carver:

This looks like a pretty slick unit, too.

Anyone want to buy a nearly-new Alva '77 with Independent trucks and Classic 70mm wheels?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    I pulled the trigger, so this is incoming:

I also managed to find out they made a scooter called the Slide Carver:

This looks like a pretty slick unit, too.

Anyone want to buy a nearly-new Alva '77 with Independent trucks and Classic 70mm wheels?

Not until my bone density improves
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    And balance, agility, brain to cranium volume that I had at 16....nah still no.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I'll probably keep the Alva...I bought it for my 40th birthday (12.5 years ago) as a replacement for a Haut Lama-flex I had in the 1980s that went missing sometime in the 1990s. It is certainly a different animal than the BMW board.
    My daughter was asking about her Razor scooter--she's at university and it may be useful. Perhaps I can find the BMW scooter and loan it to her for a few years.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    It is here and it is...

VERY cool. And it's a lovely day, so I hope to get some riding in this afternoon!

Update: Bloody hell, this thing is heavy, and hard to push uphill, but the ride is really smooth and the handling is stable (and quite versatile). It might be great for a long descent.

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-16-2020 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I remember when these Street Carvers were in the BMW showroom giftshop. I always wanted to try riding them, but the dealer wouldn't let me do anything more than hold the board. Yes, they were heavy! (and expensive).
    I skated a fair amount back in the mid- '70s into the early '80s, so my equipment was dated by BMW's standards. I still had my favorite old board (G&S FiberFlex with Benett trucks) until last Spring when my house got broken into, and most of my vintage skateboard stuff was stolen, including a hand-layed maple/glass board with a Mccullough chainsaw engine on the back that I built back around '78.
    I recently picked up a couple more recent Sector 9 boards, including a 38" longboard. I'm playing around on these a little, but at 60 years old, I can't ride like I used to, but it fun getting back on a skateboard.
    I'd still like to try one of these Street Carvers, but I'm not buying one before riding it first.
    Let us know how you like yours.
    -Donny

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    I skated a fair amount back in the mid- '70s into the early '80s, so my equipment was dated by BMW's standards. I still had my favorite old board (G&S FiberFlex with Benett trucks) ...
    Let us know how you like yours.
    -Donny
    Hey Donny,
    Same here, in many ways--I guess I was 8 years younger and a few years behind your skating experiences. I skated a LOT between 1978 and 1983. My only board was a Haut Lama-flex with trackers and various wheels (mostly 70mm Kryps). I loved it, but it went missing in the 1990s, so I bought myself a '77 Alva re-issue when I turned 40 (with Independents and 70mm Classics, I posted it above).

Now in my 50s, I don't ride much, but want to resume. This BMW is my first long board/carver.
    I've taken it out 2-3 times now, but not on a long descent. It is stable--very little fear of the straight-line 'speed wobbles' I used to get on old equipment 40 years ago. My intention is to disassemble and clean/lube everything that needs it. I expect that will get me a little more speed and perhaps smoother functioning of the steering. I don;t know how much use or attention this board has gotten in the past. It shows its age (wear on the 'tires', corrosion on some bolts, scuffs on the 'trucks') but is not nearly as roached out as many I'd seen on the web. A bit of maintenance performed, and I think this will be loads of fun for cruising around my town.

PS. Parts are simply not available, but I've found two companies that make wheels that may be suitable if the OEMs need replacing. It comes with 60mm x 110mm wheels, and there are off-road electric board companies in the UK and China who sell 110s and 120s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slick-Revol....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Sk...UAAOSw1p1eReKQ
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-18-2020 at 09:56 AM.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    I have one and don't have time to ride. Too many ICE projects to deal with. It is a great board though and I remember taking it down a section of closed road a few km long. Very smooth and easy to turn. One day. I am still looking for a Slidecarver.
    Last edited by catimann; 03-26-2021 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by catimann View Post
    I have one and don't have time to ride. Too many ICE projects to deal with. It is a great board though and I remember taking it down a section of closed road a few km long. Very smooth and easy to turn. One day. I am still looking for a Slidecarver.
    I'd love to find a long, gradual hill with smooth, clean pavement, closed to traffic.
    That's not too much to ask, is it?

I'd love to find a slidecarver also...they are illegal to sell in the US, but some guy had one on eBay a year or so ago (for $750US, IIRC).

My Cars
    e21 x2 e34 m5 x2 e31 x2
    Hi guys, stumbled across your little thread going on here whilst i was chasing information, to do a mini restoration on my....

SLIDECARVER!

I'll get some pictures for you guys if you're still interested in seeing more of one...
    i know there doesn't seem to be really anything floating around online...

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SVD115 View Post
    SLIDECARVER!

I'll get some pictures for you guys if you're still interested in seeing more of one...
    i know there doesn't seem to be really anything floating around online...
    Heck yeah! Give us your opinion. I've not heard from anyone who has actually ridden one.
    Also, apologies--my photos were 'lost' by my now-defunct photo hosting service, so my own images of the Street Carver are missing from my posts.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    There was one for sale on goodwill a few months back.
    Was surprised to see it make $100+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    There was one for sale on goodwill a few months back.
    Was surprised to see it make $100+
    Oh, how I wish you had let me know!