Thread: Oil pan gasket

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal

Oil pan gasket

Can I drop the oil pan on a 328i without disconnecting the steering shaft from the steering rack?

I've read a few posts and am not 100% sure it's doable. I want to unbolt the steering rack from the subframe, but leave the steering shaft connected to the rack so I don't have to realign the splines. I don't want to find out there isn't enough room to do this job once I start it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I'm not sure if you will have enough clearance to get the steering rack off of the subframe with the column still attached. By all means try it and let us know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Clean all the splines....take a paint pen and mark the face of the coupler (near the middle, by the hole) and then paint the splines up to where they end. Next, clean the rack splines, and paint the splines that are in the slot where you could stick a screw driver to separate them....then, you will have no issues
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Its not that a big deal. The steering wheel comes of with just 2 torx screws and 1 16mm bolt.. Its easier to drop the shaftb not fuck around with wiggling the oil pan around and possible breaking it, then just re alihning the steering wheel.. Your going to need an alignment anyway,. Why make it needlessly harder?

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Just unbolt the rack from the sub frame and hang it up with zip ties or a bungee cord you don’t need to disconnect the shaft
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Just unbolt the rack from the sub frame and hang it up with zip ties or a bungee cord you don’t need to disconnect the shaft
    Did you do this yourself with success? Really want to take this "lazy" way out and take less things apart.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan

Oil pan gasket

Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    Did you do this yourself with success? Really want to take this "lazy" way out and take less things apart.
    You should be able to unbolt the two bolts and slide the rack off of the sub frame and then everything else should come down.

You don’t even have to drop the sub frame fully, you only need about 5 inches.
    Last edited by TheJordanWhitte; 02-03-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Yup exactly what he said. So long as you can work around the clearance I’ve done it 3 times without having to completely drop it. First couple times I did until I found ways around it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I just did mine a couple days ago. From my experience, no. It’s not possible. Just mark the splines with a paint pen like was previously stated. If I were you, I would disconnect one lower ball joint on one hub assembly, along with unbolting both lollipop bushing bolts (x4) so you can fully swing the assembly out of the way, to make 100% sure you get clean placement of the gasket on the RTV on all four corners (oil pan/block/timing cover mating surface, and correlating 3 way mating surface on the back). I tried to do it without swinging the assembly out of the way, put everything back together, and did not have a clean seal and still had a leak at one corner. Lost 8 whole hours to save my self 30 minutes of time, quite a shame.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    It’s worth it to go the extra step and undo the steering shaft. You wont have to deal with a tight fit pulling the pan out, and most importantly putting the pan back in. Putting a pan back in with the gasket in place with 1” of clearance is not fun.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    I finally got around to doing this oil pan gasket, mainly because my front subframe cracked in a major way.

I disconnected the steering rack from the front subframe and removed the subframe. Leaving the rack connected to the steering shaft, I had about 6 inches of room to drop the pan. I don't think reassembly will be an issue, but we will see!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Remember to check the oil pump nut, check with your fingers first to see if its just finger tight.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Remember the OPN is reverse threaded.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Pan came down to safety wire the OPN. It was still tight after 235k miles by my scientific test of applying 20 ft lbs to the nut and not having it budge.

Reassembly was cake. I attached the steering rack to the subframe then lifted the whole unit up. Didn't even need a helper or a jack to do the lifting.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Highline
    Sorry for reving an old thread. I've read a number of ways to do change the OPG, but lowering the subframe seems to be the consensus of the majority.

Pretty much understand what I need to do, except on one thing. Lowering the subframe about 5-6" to allow for the oil pan to be removed, do the front struts have enough travel? Or do I need to remove the strut mount nuts as well to let the strut lower further?

My Cars
    M3
    Don't the control arms and tie rods just move along with the subframe and the struts can stay where they are?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Highline
    I think you're right. Took a look at another couple video's and they didn't remove or loosen the strut tower nuts.

Another recomendation is to use RTV, along with the new gasket. Any specific locations, or just along the whole gasket?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    At seams where the block is not continuous, like at the front and rear.