Hey all,

Decided to buy a E70, with close to 150k miles. I’ve had for about a week now. I like the car but a day or so ago I was driving home, highway speed, and the car kicked down 2 gears and I got a “Trans Malfunction” message. I continued driving for about 2 miles before I could pull over and shut the car off. Shut the car off, waited a couple minutes, and then started it and drove the rest of the way with no issues. Car shifted fine.

Today, while running some errands, I had the same thing happen multiple times. All within 5 miles of each incident. Got home, and pulled the codes. This is what they are:
-004F85
-004F83
-004F96
-004F53
-004F82

I did some google-ing and basically what I found out was it can be (insert 4000 different things here). I read that you can replace the mechatronics, solenoids, mechatronics sleeve, etc. However, I also read that it might not even fix the problem and some people just bought another trans and swapped it and EVEN THEN you don’t have the guarantee that it won’t have problems soon.

My question is, where do I begin and how do I pin-point the problem? I’m a DIY-er and not new to the car world. I’ve pulled motors out and what not but I’m literally ready to sell this thing as soon as I get the new title in the mail. The only reason I got this car was because I wanted some extra space, AWD, and it was a good deal. Yeah, it’s not perfect, needed Oil Housing Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket, etc, typical N52 maintenance.

I know that I need to pull the Trans Pan off and check for burnt fluid/shavings. But even then, then what?

I don’t want to hear “WelL MaYBe YoU ShOuLd’Ve rAn ThE CodES BeFOre YoU BouGHt It”
Thanks farmer brown, like I don’t know how to do a pre-purchase inspection on a German Vehicle.
-Car drove fine, shifted fine, apart from the obvious leaks, the only thing that needed immediate attention was an alignment.

I’m just looking on some insight because it seems like not a lot of people get all these codes at the same time. And while I don’t want to sell it, I run my own business and don’t necessarily have the time to do such an overhaul like this.

And no, I’m not going to the dealership and getting F**ked with an enormous bill.

Thanks for reading, Happy Super Bowl Sunday.