Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 multifunction steering wheel retrofit

My Cars
    BMW M3

E36 multifunction steering wheel retrofit

I am trying to ffind more info how to retrofit the steering wheel control buttons to E36 m3 so the radio volume, tracks and other functions can be controled from steering wheel. Something like in newer models. Has anyone done this to an E36? What parts are required or can it be done safely.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    well... as a bare minimum you need a 7 wire slip ring. Has anyone retrofitted this on the E36?

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

OK, 7 wire slip-I need also to confirm that this slip rig will be fully compatible and safe with my current airbag.
    In addition to a slip ring there will be side tabs with buttons.
    Most likely there is/are extra modules mounted inside the console, someone from E39 5-er series can be of a great help here.
    We need a E39 5 series owners to help us here or someone who already done this on E36.

My Cars
    328, 325,
    not to be a prick...... but from as far as i know the e36 radio never had steering wheel controls from what i remember. and i have a 93 and a 96 e36..... so how would u be able to control it if u had all the wiring stuff from an e39 .
    328i ACS type-II body kit w/ 3 peice wing and roof spoiler,ACS sway bars, H&R springs and TypeIII 19"2peice wheels, ACS exhaust, umintza cromium. 2-tone interior,

325i Hartge wheels, H&R racesprings, bilstiens, Zender sides, umnitza thinline , m5 trunk lip, m-tech nose slotted.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzed328 View Post
    not to be a prick...... but from as far as i know the e36 radio never had steering wheel controls from what i remember. and i have a 93 and a 96 e36..... so how would u be able to control it if u had all the wiring stuff from an e39 .
    You are right, E36 never had steering wheel controls...
    But this is the difference: I have BMW Traffic Pro radio-CD-navigation unit that fits into the stock radio location and is ready plug & play, this unit is made by Becker for BMW.
    Now, there are BMW E46 and E39 owners that have the same unit and their steering wheel controls work with this unit.
    So if I know the steering control parts list from E39 I can retrofit to E36 as both series steering wheels are the same just E36 is lacking buttons.
    Again if BMW Traffic Pro can be steering wheel controlled on E39 and E46, there got to be a way to control it on E36 as well.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    What a co๏ncidentie. I did this very mod today!

I'm pretty excited about this mod. I think it's pretty unique. It does reach the bounderies of my "OEM" theme, but than again it is totally OEM BMW, just not e36. But this is one of the things I always hated the e36 not having. Well hating is not the word, just that..."ah man that would be cool in an e36 too" feeling.

Well to make a long story short, I did it! A multifunctional steering wheel in my e36. And yes it works, oh yes it does. Horn, indies and full radio controls. As I don't have cruise control (yet) and the phone still needs installations (which now will be adapted with e38/e39 wiring) the other buttons don't do anything for now.

But that I have the radio working, already made my year. :

Two pics...

I can't seem to embed youtube in a post on here, so I'll just give the links

Here are two short clips showing me changing the radio stations, volume up/down and scanning functions, without me touching the radio.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbTNZbK0aQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_7UmFGj1I[/ame]

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinwei฿ III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

MParallel,
    congrats on your very cool modification...it completely changes the look of interior, it makes it 10 times better.
    Are there a lot of parts required for this and did BMW dealer provide you with install instructions or you had to find them on your own?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    MParallel,
    congrats on your very cool modification...it completely changes the look of interior, it makes it 10 times better.
    Are there a lot of parts required for this and did BMW dealer provide you with install instructions or you had to find them on your own?
    It's so more than funny this. Even I didn't know untill a few weeks ago, but basically it's plug&play as the pre-facelift e39/e38 MF wheels use the same slipring as the later e36's. Only a couple more wires in it for the buttons.

No dealer provided me with anything. (ok apart from the switches and connecting cable. E39 slipring was snatched from the BMW treasury (aka Ebay.de).
    So yes, that's my original e36 M wheel you are looking at. No extra modules needed! (early e38/e39 has buttons that required a MF Module, on later buttons this is built in. Of course get these!).

All credit has to go to Vlacki who is the 1st one I know who did this and provided me with all info, which can be found in this topic:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1150993

He also has the cruise control working from the steering wheel.
    Last edited by MParallel; 01-25-2009 at 07:51 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    very cool

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

So you did not wire the cruise control yet? Is it too complicated or why?

How did you wire the radio with slip ring, is this a BMW connector wire?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    So is there a BMW part number for that slip ring?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    So you did not wire the cruise control yet? Is it too complicated or why?

How did you wire the radio with slip ring, is this a BMW connector wire?
    It's not too complicated, but right now I don't have Cruise Control at all (one of the few things I don't have). It's on my to-do list.

The radio wire is only a single wire from the empty spot in the connector under the steering wheel to the iBus wire on the radio loom (which is free at the connector where the radio loom is connected to the car's main loom, which is right under the steering wheel).

Mefis, yes there is a BMW partnumber for the slipring. The one from the >3/99 E38/E38.

IG:

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    It's so more than funny this. Even I didn't know untill a few weeks ago, but basically it's plug&play as the pre-facelift e39/e38 MF wheels use the same slipring as the later e36's. Only a couple more wires in it for the buttons.

No dealer provided me with anything. (ok apart from the switches and connecting cable. E39 slipring was snatched from the BMW treasury (aka Ebay.de).
    So yes, that's my original e36 M wheel you are looking at. No extra modules needed! (early e38/e39 has buttons that required a MF Module, on later buttons this is built in. Of course get these!).

All credit has to go to Vlacki who is the 1st one I know who did this and provided me with all info, which can be found in this topic:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1150993

He also has the cruise control working from the steering wheel.
    Congrats on your contribution to the Forum! You and Vlacki are "The Men"!

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Mefis, yes there is a BMW partnumber for the slipring. The one from the >3/99 E38/E38.
    Can you post the part number. I just drove back from the dealership, they pulled out the 99 E38 which looks very different from the E36. Got the part number somewhere?

Thanks!

Got a P/N 32 34 1 094 261. The difference was the non-heated variation of steering wheel.
    Last edited by Mefis; 02-20-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

It's not too complicated, but right now I don't have Cruise Control at all (one of the few things I don't have). It's on my to-do list.

The radio wire is only a single wire from the empty spot in the connector under the steering wheel to the iBus wire on the radio loom (which is free at the connector where the radio loom is connected to the car's main loom, which is right under the steering wheel).

The empty spots on the connector under the steering wheel-do they have pins there so the wires can be routed to ibus, cruise module, power 12V and ground...or there are no pins-it would mean have to find part numbers for the pins as well.
    Do your control button lights stay on all the time when engine running or only when you turn on driving lights? There is only one 12V wire and ground, there is no illumination separate wire so when both ground and 12V are plugged the button lights turn on, how do you explain this please.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Very nice on the retrofit! Great work!

My Cars
    1992 535iA (Winter DD)
    Love the work you have done with the retrofit. Also saw the other upgrades you have done to your e36. Strongly considering the retrofit to my cars.
    Current:
    1992 535iA
    2000 540i/6 sport

Past:
    1990 535iA (R.I.P.)
    1994 325i/5 (Sold)

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    I'm interested in doing this. I already have a 3-spoke in my 99M and a CD43. Any reason I can't just swap the control "wings" and correct slip ring on to my wheel? If so, do the controls need to come from a single stage bag wheel, or could I use the controls off any e38/9 3 spoke?

Nevermind, I finally got through a few pages of the DIY and got my answer. And my head hurts.
    Last edited by cosM3os; 12-20-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    If I wasn't already completely stock and wanted to stay that way id do this in my e36/7. Looks really good.

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    Yah, that's my car too but I'm giving it alittle OEM+ flavor. But this mod is way over my head . . .

or is it?

I have a 99M and CD43. If I got 9/97-3/01 buttons (with the cruise on/off on the wheel) and the <3/99 E38/9 slipring, would the radio and cruise both be plug and play (or very close to PNP)?
    Last edited by cosM3os; 12-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by cosM3os View Post
    Yah, that's my car too but I'm giving it alittle OEM+ flavor. But this mod is way over my head . . .

or is it?

I have a 99M and CD43. If I got 9/97-3/01 buttons (with the cruise on/off on the wheel) and the <3/99 E38/9 slipring, would the radio and cruise both be plug and play (or very close to PNP)?
    Are you going with 2 lines or 3 lines of buttons on each side of steering wheel?
    You will need that 7 pin slipring, radio will almost be p'n'p, cruise will need a little more work.

My Cars
    BMW e36

E60 Steering Wheel on a E36

Hello to everyone:

Just joined the group. I want to make an update to my e36 and was wondering if it's possible to fit the e60 steering wheel on a e36? Physically is possible?

Thank you

Mike

My Cars
    97 E36 M3
    Hi,
    I would like to the same thing on my e36 with the E46 steering wheel. Can you provide any info on how you did it?
    Thanks

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I think he wants MFL controls, but doesn't realize this can be done with E36 steering wheels, and you don't need an E46 wheel.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 328ic, '02 330xi
    I think he wants MFL controls, but doesn't realize this can be done with E36 steering wheels, and you don't need an E46 wheel.
    What's wrong with an e46 wheel? I got a stock one from my 02 330xi and I wanted to put it in my e36 vert
    Last edited by tadanlala; 04-26-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Misread previous comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast