Thread: Anyone in the SF Bay Area able to read my ZCS codes?

My Cars
    1998 540i/6

Anyone in the SF Bay Area able to read my ZCS codes?

I am at my wits' end and need this done so I can move on. Is there anyone in the San Francisco area that can read my ZCS codes?

I'll buy you a 12 pack of anything you want. Please help.

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Do yourself a favour and get an (old) laptop with INPA/NCS Expert installed.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaap View Post
    Do yourself a favour and get an (old) laptop with INPA/NCS Expert installed.
    I understand this is an option but I don't want to go through the headache of making it work. First I have to find the right cable (something about soldering pins 7 & 8?), then I have to find a laptop with XP, or install some sort of work around on my laptop, then I have to add a COM port, then I have to learn INPA... At some point, yes, but for now I just want those damn codes.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    No...it is a much easier process.

1) Buy the "INPA K+DCAN cable with switch". Google it. You will not have to solder anything thanks to the switch that you may have to flip on/off....
    2) Connect the cable to a Windows laptop, then download and install "Mike's Easy BMW Tools Package". PM me if you cannot find it.

That's it. You would then have a fully configured INPA /NCSExpert setup ready to roll....
    Last edited by Chedley; 01-28-2020 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    No...it is a much easier process.

1) Buy the "INPA K+DCAN cable with switch". Google it. You will not have to solder anything thanks to the switch that you may have to flip on/off....
    2) Connect the cable to a Windows laptop, then download and install "Mike's Easy BMW Tools Package". PM me if you cannot find it.

That's it. You would then have a fully configured INPA /NCSExpert setup ready to roll....
    Ugh, maybe...

1) Since my car is a 1998 I have to use the connector under the hood so I have to buy an adapter unless the one that came with my Bavarian Technic cable works, but there is a chance it won't because it is a proprietary cable.
    2) Also, my laptop doesn't have a COM port. I can try and assign a COM to a USB, but that rarely works as planned and sounds like a whole different headache.

For $15 or whatever, I will grab the cable and try and make it work, but this thing is only worth about another hour of my time before I pay someone else to do it. I have wasted damn near 10 hours on this already just trying to get these codes. I am fed up.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what "switched" cables were when I looked them up.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour

Anyone in the SF Bay Area able to read my ZCS codes?

Quote Originally Posted by baneoh View Post
    Ugh, maybe...

1) Since my car is a 1998 I have to use the connector under the hood so I have to buy an adapter unless the one that came with my Bavarian Technic cable works, but there is a chance it won't because it is a proprietary cable.
    2) Also, my laptop doesn't have a COM port. I can try and assign a COM to a USB, but that rarely works as planned and sounds like a whole different headache.

For $15 or whatever, I will grab the cable and try and make it work, but this thing is only worth about another hour of my time before I pay someone else to do it. I have wasted damn near 10 hours on this already just trying to get these codes. I am fed up.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what "switched" cables were when I looked them up.
    Don’t bother soldering pins.

Go to www.cable-shack.co.uk and buy the correct cable or a set of all.

(You’ll assign COM1 to the usb socket of your choice and set bit rate and parity once then it’s done and does work)

Comes with a usb pre-loaded with all the software and follow the simple install instructions for Windows XP/7/8/10 and et voila

He even does remote support although he’s in the U.K. so you may have to be weary of time zones.

Simples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GenericUserid; 01-29-2020 at 01:12 AM.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    There must be some independent repair shops in your area for German cars. Have you tried looking for one of them? I'm sure they'd be happy to take a few bucks from you for 10 minutes of their time.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    There is pretty good shop in Santa Rosa I can't remember there name and there is shop in American canyon

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisG01 View Post
    There must be some independent repair shops in your area for German cars. Have you tried looking for one of them? I'm sure they'd be happy to take a few bucks from you for 10 minutes of their time.
    You would be surprised how many mechanics have no clue what ZCS codes are, let alone how to retrieve them.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    You would be surprised how many mechanics have no clue what ZCS codes are, let alone how to retrieve them.
    Hey baneoh, I’ll make you a deal: you get the cable and a Windows laptop and I’ll set up the software remotely (for free). I do this several times per week before updating DME or EGS software for folks. Then we can read your ZCS codes and you can save them.

Get this cable.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0817D2L9J..._7GHmEbSYBDVYZ

Any Windows laptop: 7, 8, 10 is fine. XP is not needed.

PM me for details.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    Hey baneoh, I’ll make you a deal: you get the cable and a Windows laptop and I’ll set up the software remotely (for free). I do this several times per week before updating DME or EGS software for folks. Then we can read your ZCS codes and you can save them.

Get this cable.

PM me for details.
    Thanks. I am about to order this cable, and I already have Mike's tools. I am more concerned about adding a com port to my usb. I tried this last week thinking I could use the Bav Tech cable for INPA but I couldn't get my computer to recognize the USB as a COM port. In my Device Manager it had a yield sign on it no matter what I did. I will try again when I get this cable and I will let you know. I really appreciate you lending your time, but let me make sure I'm not gonna waste it first.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Thanks. I am about to order this cable, and I already have Mike's tools. I am more concerned about adding a com port to my usb. I tried this last week thinking I could use the Bav Tech cable for INPA but I couldn't get my computer to recognize the USB as a COM port. In my Device Manager it had a yield sign on it no matter what I did. I will try again when I get this cable and I will let you know. I really appreciate you lending your time, but let me make sure I'm not gonna waste it first.
    If you get that cable, which doesn’t have a switch on the OBD connector, you’ll have to open it up and solder pins 7 and 8 together.
    The one I linked works well (I just bought one as a backup), ships from Cali, and the switch is much better than the other style.

You don’t have to add a COM port. Installing the drivers does that for you. This driver installer from the FTDI chip maker always works and makes it easy peasy.
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Feel free to contact me if you want assistance. I do this all the time for forum folks, no problemo!
    Last edited by balidawg; 01-29-2020 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Thanks. I am about to order this cable, and I already have Mike's tools. I am more concerned about adding a com port to my usb..... .
    Yes, Mike's tools software will automatically install and configure the usb COM port on your laptop.
    Again, just connect the cable to the laptop, then install Mike's tools (run setup).
    And you should be ready to roll.

Other tips: it is a good idea to clean up your laptop software of any unused stuff.
    Also, when you run INPA -after installing it- it is recommended to turn off any anti-virus software, and disconnect your laptop Internet connection.
    Last edited by Chedley; 01-29-2020 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    If you get that cable, which doesn’t have a switch on the OBD connector, you’ll have to open it up and solder pins 7 and 8 together.
    Oops! Thanks!! I almost made a mistake. I bought the switched one instead. Looks like it's time for that afternoon coffee.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour

Get this cable.

PM me for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Oh, I don't doubt that. But I can't imagine that shops that specialize in German cars would have a problem - or at least, there will certainly be shops out there that are plenty familiar. On the other hand, when stop by to ask and they give you the "deer in headlights" look... well... move on to the next shop!

But, it looks like you have a better (and friendly!) option available to you, now.