Thread: 2007 X3 exhaust solenoid and scanner issue

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

2007 X3 exhaust solenoid and scanner issue

Hi all, Have the not so fun P0015 (2A82?) code. Read most of the threads on here regarding this. Pulled solenoid, cleaned, check for physical motion of valve inside. Still get the CEL and the P0015. Used to go a couple hundred miles until getting it again. Now get it regularly after less than 50 miles. Also, use Crator 310 scanner which I have always loved and used on other BMWs. For some reason the Creator refuses to connect to the Driver menu on OBD. It will connect to Body, Chassis menus, but not to Driver or Transmission menus. It did a few times at first but not now. I have a generic Innova 3100 that connects just fine. Possible I fried the Creator somehow? I may have inadvertently cleared a code once with engine running. Anyhow, scanner is not biggest issue as I'm picking up a Foxwell soon. My real request is for more ways/thing to test/check to track down this P0015 code? From another thread I'll check the Eccentric Sensor for cleanliness and the oil level (which shows full) and oil filter cap for integrity. Any other ideas? Bought this car in MD and live in PA and I obviously cannot get emissions testing done until I sort this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Don't even ask me about the fact that my panoramic roof worked splendidly the first 20 times I used it...until it didn't! Grrr...wish I still had my E39! Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    UPDATE: So I decided that I needed to buy a pair of Vanos solenoids from Pelican ( Vaico brand) . Got them at a decent price of 56 bucks apiece. I also decided that I did not want to put the new solenoids on with dirty oil in the car. I had owned this car since November of 19 and have not change the oil filter since I bought it and had put 4500 miles on the car. I had however taken out the intake and exhaust solenoids and clean them and put them back but I still had the solenoid error on exhaust side every 30 so miles. I took my X3 to a local shop to do the oil change. When I got the car back the the rpms were all over the place and it would sputter and die multiple times while standing still and also while driving. I was getting solenoid error and I was also getting MAF error which was new. I pressed the oil check button on the dashboard thinking maybe they did not put enough oil in. As it turns out they somehow overfilled it. I took the car back to the shop. They said that they had put and exactly 6.75 qts, plus a new filter. I suggested that since there's no dipstick that they should drain out at least one qt and see how it reads. They drained one qt and it still read overfilled. At that point I asked them to drain the entire engine and then put in 5 qts, 1 qt at a time. Even at only 5 qts it still read high so I told them put in one more qt so that way I know for a fact that there's only 6 qt in and let's see what happens. I also had them disconnect the battery cable and touch them together to clear everything out. Oil still read overfill, no pending DTCs, scanner showed not ready for emissions testing due to 4 monitors not ready(O2 sensors heater, catalyst monitor; Evap monitor). Took out for about 100 miles that day. Still read overfill oil and monitors not ready but no Pending DTCs. The next day I started the car and it read exactly full on oil. Still no offending codes and the RPMs were back to normal and rock steady. I drove it a few days without replacing the vanos solenoids because I was curious since just an oil change made everything wacked and thought perhaps oil was the issue all along. After a few days and 100 something miles there was still no Pending or Confirmed DTCs which was great because I was getting P0015 every 30 miles, rpms still stay and good, but monitors still weren't ready. I decided at that point to swap in the new solenoids. After a few drive cycles and about 150 miles all the monitors report ready as green across-the-board, rock steady rpms, no dtcs. My thought is still that the difference here was the oil change. I believe the system monitors clearing was just a matter of doing enough drive cycles/ miles after the oil change. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Very little jobs will I put in the hands of someone else...only if I don't have the tools or "know how".

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 M3 2007 X3m & 328xi
    Glad you got that figured out but if the problem returns after the oil has 5k miles on it I would suggest replacing the one way check valves in the head that feed the vanos solenoids. They do sometimes get clogged and then check valve fails letting oil out of solenoid and air in causing them to not work properly.