Thread: 540i Suspension Refresh questions

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6

540i Suspension Refresh questions

Does anyone have a link to entire DIY on doing an entire suspension refresh on a 02/98 540i? I was going to order this kit https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...0e3922piece-my and DIY the entire process because I have most of the tools on hand.
    I just cant find an in depth solid article or instructions on how to do each and every part, and dont feel comfortable purchasing this kit without a way to know how to install it on the vehicle. Id need things like torque specs and such.
    If someone can link me multiple good sources for different parts I will attempt to make a video or write up of the entire process.

My Cars
    2003 540i6

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Thank you so much that helps a ton

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Try searching thru the "Useful Links / DIY" section of this board:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...seful-links***
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E39 540i Sport M-Tech
    Curious what struts you plan to use?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, what would you have done back in the old days, when the innerwebs was nothing but fantasy. Cmon man, you can do it, no need for information, just jump right in and tackle the sumbitch, figure things out, work your brain, smurten up, better yerselves.....no need for diy’s, stupid videos..... these cars are 20 years old, there’s already a gazillion videos out there. Tackle it, finish it, drive the piss out of it.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Cmon man, you can do it, no need for information, just jump right in and tackle the sumbitch, figure things out, work your brain, smurten up, better yerselves.....
    Ehh.. I'll agree with you when it comes to domestic cars, but I've yet to take a quick trip to the parts store for anything on my car. I was able to find a somewhat local parts supplier when I lived in Michigan, but it was still 60 miles from home. Makes things difficult when the car you're working on is also your only mode of transportation.

When are you gonna update your door thread?
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    07 CX-7
    if you're new to bmw, like me, but not new to DIY car stuff plan on 4-6hrs for front and about the same for rear.

I did the whole assembly for each corner and found that top hat for front and rear were still good and same with spring pads front and rear.

the most pita part was the rear getting the back seat out and rear wheel liners since that has to be done to get rear shocks out.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Man, what would you have done back in the old days, when the innerwebs was nothing but fantasy. Cmon man, you can do it, no need for information, just jump right in and tackle the sumbitch, figure things out, work your brain, smurten up, better yerselves.....no need for diy’s, stupid videos..... these cars are 20 years old, there’s already a gazillion videos out there. Tackle it, finish it, drive the piss out of it.
    Trust me I plan on beating it, but it needs to be revived first.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    Ehh.. I'll agree with you when it comes to domestic cars, but I've yet to take a quick trip to the parts store for anything on my car. I was able to find a somewhat local parts supplier when I lived in Michigan, but it was still 60 miles from home. Makes things difficult when the car you're working on is also your only mode of transportation.

When are you gonna update your door thread?
    Ahhh, that sucks. But if you moved out of Skwabovia, and moved closer to civilization...... But really, I never buy the crap at the local parts stores anyway. So, since we now have these innerwebs, might as well make it work for us. I use realoem.com as my parts bible, make my list, then shoot on over to fcpeuro, order everything, goof off while waiting for the parts..... And when the parts come, who knows, maybe I feel like tackling the job right away, or, maybe the parts end up on a shelf until I feel like tackling the job...... Sometimes, I order the parts again, not realizing that I already got them. Getting old is a lot of fun. But..... it's all cool, I have three E39's, the parts will get used. As if 3 BMW's wasn't bad enough, I also have a 2003 Mini Cooper S...... Haha!

The door thread, yeah, I'll get back to it. To tell you guys the truth, I've been sick this past couple of weeks, last Saturday, I had a ridiculous high fever, lost my voice, that's a frikken dilemna, 'cause I can carry a 32hour nonstop conversation if I was in a good mood.... Feeling better now, hopefully be 99.9% by the weekend. But I did get the POR15, just have to get my butt in gear And get back on it. I'll update it soon. Probably this weekend. That's the problem with working at a shop, one of the last things I'd like to do after working on other peoples cars is to work on one of mine at the end of the day.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by PanzerShrekd View Post
    Trust me I plan on beating it, but it needs to be revived first.
    There's a pill for that...

- - - Updated - - -

The suspensions on these cars aren't as scary to work on once you get into it. Once you've owned one for a while, you'll get practice taking things apart over and over.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Front part 1 , parts in the description
    https://youtu.be/h96mYDfvrUk
    Front part 2
    https://youtu.be/psk5076OJts
    For the rear side just youtube it, lots of Diy's for it, also on this dude's channel.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by taz.; 01-30-2020 at 12:31 AM.