Thread: 745LI front driver seat bottom cushion replacement

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745LI

745LI front driver seat bottom cushion replacement

Hey everybody! I just recently acquired a 2003 745LI. I'm in the process of cleaning it up, and trying to turn it into a daily driver. It only has 80k miles on it, and is damn near mint, but one thing that I need to address, is the previous owner accidently sat down on the driver seat with a knife in his pocket, and tore a 3" rip in the bottom seat cushion. I found a used bottom seat cushion in great shape for only 100 bucks, and I want to swap them out. It is the butt part, not the extended thigh part. When I get the seat out, can anybody guide me on how to actually remove and replace the bottom cushion? Has anybody had experience with this?

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazzella.Chris View Post
    Hey everybody! I just recently acquired a 2003 745LI. I'm in the process of cleaning it up, and trying to turn it into a daily driver. It only has 80k miles on it, and is damn near mint, but one thing that I need to address, is the previous owner accidently sat down on the driver seat with a knife in his pocket, and tore a 3" rip in the bottom seat cushion. I found a used bottom seat cushion in great shape for only 100 bucks, and I want to swap them out. It is the butt part, not the extended thigh part. When I get the seat out, can anybody guide me on how to actually remove and replace the bottom cushion? Has anybody had experience with this?
    PITA.
    I did it when I swapped from Black seats to Natur Brown. The Brown set had a bad Passenger occupancy seat mat. So i swapped mats but meant i had to take apart the seat cushion.
    The key before you take it out is RAISE the seat highest you can go, then Unplug the NEG battery cable off the battery. Wait 30 mins before removing seat out. Also you`ll need a Diagnostic tool to reset AIRBAG, no going around it. The reason I asked to raise seat is so you have space to bend the metal from tabs that hold the leather to frame. Work yourself around it, Unplug the harness underneath. Remove the leg extender leather, remove the plastic cover from frame, Swap cushions

Just inspect passenger seat occupancy mat before swapping. You may have to use yours if that cushion seat mat is bad. Also did you buy a passenger side? Driver seat cushion wont have the mat. If the MAT is not present then you`ll have to swap it out from your previous cushion. That means remove the HOG HOOKS to separate the leather from the cushion.. Thats a task , youl`ll need good needle nose pliers for that job..
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745LI
    Quote Originally Posted by cazal740i View Post
    PITA.
    I did it when I swapped from Black seats to Natur Brown. The Brown set had a bad Passenger occupancy seat mat. So i swapped mats but meant i had to take apart the seat cushion.
    The key before you take it out is RAISE the seat highest you can go, then Unplug the NEG battery cable off the battery. Wait 30 mins before removing seat out. Also you`ll need a Diagnostic tool to reset AIRBAG, no going around it. The reason I asked to raise seat is so you have space to bend the metal from tabs that hold the leather to frame. Work yourself around it, Unplug the harness underneath. Remove the leg extender leather, remove the plastic cover from frame, Swap cushions

Just inspect passenger seat occupancy mat before swapping. You may have to use yours if that cushion seat mat is bad. Also did you buy a passenger side? Driver seat cushion wont have the mat. If the MAT is not present then you`ll have to swap it out from your previous cushion. That means remove the HOG HOOKS to separate the leather from the cushion.. Thats a task , youl`ll need good needle nose pliers for that job..

Thank you so much for the reply!

I actually completed this the other day. It was a bit of a pain for sure. Nothing impossible though. It was just a learn as you go experience. Watching how things come apart and learning how the seat is built. Not "difficult". Just time consuming.