Thread: Favorite on and off ramps

My Cars
    2001 525it

Favorite on and off ramps

I have a few of these I always look forward to one onramp has a short straight maybe 75 feet then a super quick left then right before straightening up in to an up hill on to the freeway. There's another on that comes off the freeway which starts down hill as you get off if flattens out momentarily the starts going up hill quickly then enters a fast u shape turn only to end up going down hill at the finish and if you over shot the entrance you would just shoot off into the air after passing thru the guard rail so coming in to it is daunting. But the one I like the best starts at the stop light as you cross the intersection the roads starts to go up hill for a block and a half, a good climb up, then quickly curves to the left then right straightens out and gets to the freeway, if you punch it a the beginning you hit 60 or more rounding the corner to shoot on to the freeway. I love those things of course if there is any police presence then where driving at normal speeds. On ramps and off ramps can be really fun

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    My favorites are always better with the tailgater hitting the curb when he tries to keep tailgating me at the late apex,good times.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Early on I worked for h& b BMW Berkeley and originally Alan hardy had imported the grey market cars, 745's, m-1,s, 323's, alpina cars any way we had a euro m6 with a freshly balanced and rebuilt engine, fat tires on it, like water buffalo interior, sway bars. Lowered, so I have to drive it down to Hayward to the smog referee s station because it's a euro car. On the way there this ford thunder bird comes up behind and sits right behind me, then the cloverleaf off ramp came and that was the last I saw of him, flailing about behind me.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yeah, I love it when some guy in a new challenger gets up close until there’s a turn. Bye bye.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    This thread reminds me of a very sad(dazed) looking man I once saw sitting in the grass near his Porsche which was wrapped around a light pole 30 feet or so from the freeway on ramp.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Rule#1 in the old 911 driver's handbook ,NEVER LIFT!!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    They called 911’s “widow makers.”

Definition of oversteer: when the back of the car is the first thing to hit the guardrail.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 328i
    It’s not a ramp but a detour on a rural road:

It’s a left “exit” on a the rural road, a sharp left turn and a right turn back to back. You get to it using a center (turning) island.

The entry lane is narrow with concrete islands on both sides, and the right turn gets you to a straight area with a very short passing area.

If you know your car and can tell distance, you can just floor through the turn with incoming traffic, and leave any tailgaters in the dust. And if there’s a car in front of you on the main straight road, you have barely time to look for incoming traffic and, if there’s no one, floor it again and advance any car there.

Once a pickup got mad because I did just that to him. He proceeded to follow me afterwards, with his high beams on (it was freaking early in winter, so it was pitch black) and honking the horn. I couldn’t keep high speed because the area is flooded with state troopers and unmarked vehicles trying to catch speeding vehicles, so for a while I had an annoying gnat, with high beams and the horn on. Fortunately that road is short and there’s a stop sign where to test your car’s acceleration, and that finally lost him.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post

Definition of oversteer: when the back of the car is the first thing to hit the guardrail.
    My Kawasaki triple was also called a "widow Maker".It was a little tricky.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    Rule#1 in the old 911 driver's handbook ,NEVER LIFT!!
    Not just those tail happy Panzers.
    I was explaining this to a friend while driving his E39 around the carousel at Road America. He was nervous because of significant tire noise(noisy tires are happy tires), I needed to explain the correlation between lifting, weight transfer and grip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post

Understeer: When the front hits the wall.
    Oversteer: See above
    Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall.
    Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2002 540iT
    Track days are fun too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    My Kawasaki triple was also called a "widow Maker".It was a little tricky.
    Nice, what year? I have 2006 speed triple myself. The two Kawasakis in my stable is a 2013 zx6r and 2015 kx100