Thread: Broken Tabs?

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3

Broken Tabs?

I was wondering if anyone has come up with an idea on how to replace or repair tabs that have dry rotted and fallen apart. The two tabs behind the screws on the console have just dissinigrated. Thanks.

20200126_072041.jpg

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Same problem...I had enough tab to velcro one of the tabs as a temp fix.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    build them up with plastic epoxy?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Plasti-aid like Abel suggests.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    All of the above, plus a "hot stapler" is how I've gone about it on DOZENS of cars; it was a rare thing to be THE FIRST PERSON to take apart someone's glovebox, as I can get them apart without causing further damage.

Hot Stapler Kit, this is the one I have, they have since come out with a cordless version (while convenient, I'd be concerned about how long it takes to heat up): https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EZ-RED-...AAAOSwDnld8Zs4

Use the staples to hold broken tabs in place, and add structural integrity, prior to using epoxy repair methods

A new piece of plastic added where the original tab was long gone

Or how about the one on the outboard side of the glovebox? I frequently have found this one overtightened and pulled through...

Sacrificial Cap-Plug

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    You could probably accomplish this also with a solder gun and some staples. Randy’s our Norm...he has just the right tool and lots of them. Lol

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    Thanks. Mine wasn't on the glove box but on the sides of the center console. I guess the same idea though. Another project in the making

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    I had enough material left that I was able to epoxy a switch blanking plate to the original tab and drill out a hole for the screw and clip to mount to it. Not the best, but it was what I had available and is holding a year later.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    All of the above, plus a "hot stapler" is how I've gone about it on DOZENS of cars; it was a rare thing to be THE FIRST PERSON to take apart someone's glovebox, as I can get them apart without causing further damage.

Hot Stapler Kit, this is the one I have, they have since come out with a cordless version (while convenient, I'd be concerned about how long it takes to heat up): https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EZ-RED-...AAAOSwDnld8Zs4

Use the staples to hold broken tabs in place, and add structural integrity, prior to using epoxy repair methods

A new piece of plastic added where the original tab was long gone

Or how about the one on the outboard side of the glovebox? I frequently have found this one overtightened and pulled through...

Sacrificial Cap-Plug

So here is my dilemma. Both tabs on my glove box assembly were broken off, likely by the PO when he had an aftermarket radio, speakers, and amp installed. The plastic tabs are gone. I have shaped a set of steel brackets to fit and plan to attach them with a combination of JB Weld and Plast-Aid. But there is one element that has me concerned and that is the exact placement of the bracket and more importantly the screw hole that the speed nut will attach to.

I have measured the distance between the two hold on the console panel and even made a paper mock-up of the location of both holes, but transferring that to the brackets to be glued to the glove box has me a bit concerned. I could get the brackets shaped properly and even aligned on the glove box frame properly, but if the holes aren't lined up with the console counter sunk hole it won't work and I'm, pretty sure the metal tabs being glued on won't hold up to me drilling though the console panel to make new holes.

I need a bit of a map where the tabs should go and where the holes in the two tabs should be so that they line up properly. I've had the entire assembly sitting on my workbench for several days worrying about how to line the tabs and the holes properly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bkirk; 02-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    First of all, take the US glovebox out and throw it away, its a complete disaster.

Get a Euro Box that is surprisingly better made.

That being said, any sheet plastic will jb-weld on there just fine. I cut up the drive covers from an ancient tower PC with a dremel.

Then put the clips on to the newly replaced tabs.

You won't see it anyway.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.