Thread: 2008 328i Help! 2fa4 DME: Incorrect data record, and other codes

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i, Sport 5MT

2008 328i Help! 2fa4 DME: Incorrect data record, and other codes

Okay so this car was on the impound lot of a towing company that I purchased. It was sitting with water in it for some time. The car has been dry for about a year now and has nothing weird going besides the below:

Step 1: had mobile locksmith make key. Vehicle actually started, although not very well, and had drivability issues; low power, hesitation, etc.

Step 2: Took car to an indy shop. They recommended I have the 'build integrity' checked and have a genuine BMW key made.

Step 3: Took car to bmw dealership for two recalls, key, and diagnosis. Key was made, and CCC computer recommended replacing, as well valve cover was cracked, CCV not working either, so needed replacing.

Step 4: Replaced valve cover, Valvetronic Motor, Valvetronic Sensor, and all associated gaskets. Relearned valvetronic min/max limits via my Launch scan tool. No improvement in drivability. Everything is plugged in; I even went back and double checked all this.

This brings us current. The car might start on the 1st try, or the 10th try. Power is low, gas mileage is poor, but the vehicle can be driven.

Below are the current codes:

2AA0 - DME: Camshaft Sensor, Inlet, Signal
    2AA8 - DME: Variable Intake System, Servomotor: Activation
    2AA9 - DME: Variable Intake System: Servomotor 2: Activation
    30C3 - DME: Engine-Oil-Pressure Sensor, Signal
    2FA4 - DME: Incorrect Data Record

I drove the car with live stream on the eccentric shaft and found that the following values didn't change no matter what I did or how I drove.

Eccentric Shaft, Actual Angle: 219
    Eccentric Shaft, Specificed Angle: 251

Other codes, from other vehicle systems:
    A6CF - JBE: AUC sensor
    CF17 - No Message from JBBF: VEhicle Mode, Receiver DKG/EGS, Transmitter DSC/DME-DDE
    581E - EGS: Signal Fault, Engine Speec From Engine Control

Clearly there's a communication issue with the DME, right? Now, I want to believe the dealer, but the codes seem to focus around the DME, not the CCC (and doesn't the CCC handle the entertainment system?)

So what say y'all? How would you proceed? I have a very good indy shop I can bring it to (Digital Chassis, Durham, NC) that I'd trust to get it going, but being that I can turn a wrench, I always do my best to avoid taking it somewhere.

Help!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Flood damage is never good and the side effects certainly could linger for a long time where exactly was all the water

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i, Sport 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Flood damage is never good and the side effects certainly could linger for a long time where exactly was all the water
    The trunk; it was high enough to partially submerge the amplifier, which had failed and I've already replaced. There's some computers in a more forward/center position in the trunk that hypothetically could have been affected; though I'm not sure what computers those are.