Thread: Passenger Seat bypass emulator? Which one really works?

My Cars
    2000 528i

Passenger Seat bypass emulator? Which one really works?

2000 e39 528i. Need some suggestions on which passenger seat emulator to purchase and vendor? I'm having the typical passenger seat air bag light popping up at times. I've looked online but seams to be a few different types to purchase? Can some of you that have already done this please suggest which one to use and link to vendor and instructions.

thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Have you tried cleaning the connectors at the rear of the box? I did this a few years ago, and the problem went away.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    I bought this one in November 2018 and it has been fine ever since

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Seat-Oc...72.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by cpf9; 01-24-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: meant to say november 2018

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I decided to use a Youtube post that I found from another person on this forum had used to solve the problem. I had to remove the sensor pcb under the seat. Take it apart and use a 4.7k resistor 1/2 watt and a 1N4007 diode. After installing the seat light went out. Haven't really driven it yet so we'll have to see how it goes. The hardest part was removing the sensor pcb under the seat, what a pain. After I removed it with the special retainer (pain in the ass). I then realized the unit could be removed without the retainer. If you make a tool out of some stiff 1/32 wire inch bend it in a L shape then slide it down the middle of the between the unit and retainer in the center, you can remove it without the retainer. Would have been much EASIER OR AS CPF9 ABOVE SUGGESTED TO ORDER THE BYPASS EMULATOR (I wish I would've done that, but I already had the Resistor and Diode. So why not). Always like a challenge. LOL LOL. Thx

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Okay not sure how much the fix I did above really helped? After installing resistor and diode I still have the Airbag light come on at start up. But if I shut the car off and start again it goes away. Not sure if this is being caused from the bypass fix or what. It doesn't always do it. Any thoughts? I haven't taken it in to have the codes read and reset.

thx

My Cars
    2000 528i
    cpf9 Thanks for replying. Just curious after you installed your emulator listed above did your code go away or did you have to have the code cleared? Not really sure if my Youtube fix I listed really works? Still having airbag light coming on at first starting of car. Seems after I stop car and turn off car, and restart the light stays out?

Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    I bought this one in November 2018 and it has been fine ever since

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Seat-Oc...72.m2749.l2649

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Yes, i think I did have to clear it after installing the dongle using a Creator C310+ code scanner. (Not all code scanners have the ability to clear SRS-related codes)

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Thanks cpf9, I'm thinking about buying the same Scanner you did, the Creator C310+ I just want to make sure that it can reset the Air light (SRS)? Did you have any problems? Last do I also need the 20 pin adapter that's under the hood?
    Thanks again for all your feedback

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Yes, the Creator C310+ has a sub-menu for SRS diagnostics and can clear the air bag light. I did not need an adapter to connect the tool to the car - the included cable plugged straight into the OBD port on the under-dash kickpanel near the steering column. However this may be year/model dependent. My car is an '03 530.

I had no problems after I reset the light. This was November 2018 and I hadn't even thought about since then until I saw your thread. Good luck!

My Cars
    2000 528i
    cpf9 FYI just ordered the Creator C310+, and for my car had to order the under hood adapter. Going read codes first the clear and see how it works out. If still a problem will order emulator. thx

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Just received the Creator C310+ code reader, and under hood 20 pin cable. I believe it's reading the codes for the AirBag system correctly, a little quirky but I think its communicating? After I would select SRS (AirBag) it would go out saying communicating, but would go to I believe is the software version page for the Creator first, Then I would have to push the back arrow, then it would take me to the code page, I would select Read code which would Display the following: F0 INTERNAL CONTROL UNIT FAULT. ALSO CODE 11 POWER SUPPLY. It would not tell me what these were for?? I'm thinking they might be popping up because of the bypass for the occupancy sensor PCB? Any thoughts on the Codes, where problems might be? Has anyone else used this model of the Creator and cable with this car year and model?

Thank you