Thread: 135i DME vin not matched to chasis

My Cars
    1-thirty-five-eye

135i DME vin not matched to chasis

I've posted on some other forums but haven't got around on this one. Haven't had any replies or leads on what it could be.

Purchased car and had it delivered, DME vin is to a 2007 335i. Car is a 2008 135i.

Pulled the DME to see if it was replaced etc., the VIN stamp on the DME is the same as the chassis

Was told to remove the JB4 and then try to pull the VIN from OBD. JB4 removed and VIN still reading as the 07 335i.

The only thing I could think of is someone somehow got a used MHD flash? I know that they are VIN-locked so is that even possible? I had a guy look at the DME and VIN, I think he was using WINKFP. He said when he pulled up the car with that program the original VIN was in it's system. Car also has code u0100

Car can't pass my states emissions until the DME vin is identical to the chassis.
    Will cross-post this on the e9x platform since the current DME is from a e92.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hmmmmm. Could the JB software been for a 335i? I bet that’s what changed the chassis designation as the DME is stamped with the car’s VIN. Emissions inspections don’t look at things like the DME’s software. The inspection is done to make sure that the engine isn’t spitting out a ton of crap via the exhaust. A good tech will look at the engine to see if it’s be mod’d, but not much else. Time is money!

My Cars
    1-thirty-five-eye
    Yes, that's correct emissions is simply for that, emissions. The issue is when the car passes DEQ/Emissions, the printout is a sticker reading the VIN from the DME/CAS module. So when it does pass the printout they give me is for an 07 335i. DMV will not take that because it doesnt match the title or anything on this car. I uninstalled the JB4 and the VIN managed to stay the same, wouldn't that revert the VIN change back to the correct one?

That's why I'm thinking the CAS was replaced, or the car somehow has someone elses MHD flash on it.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’d contact the previous owner to see what was done to the car. I’d find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers to see if the shop can straighten this out. Try www.bimrs.org to find a shop in your area.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Two possibilities:
    1) A 335i's tune was copied to this DME, and they inadvertently wrote the 335's VIN entry there. This is easy to fix
    2) Your car's DME failed at some point, and a used DME/CAS from a totaled 335i were swapped into your car. This is tougher to fix (but not impossible).

Do you have INPA/WinKFP etc? If so read the UIF and see what it says.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Terra, the vin on the DME matches the car’s vin. It has to be the software. As you said someone may have copied the software directly from a 335i.

My Cars
    1-thirty-five-eye
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Two possibilities:
    1) A 335i's tune was copied to this DME, and they inadvertently wrote the 335's VIN entry there. This is easy to fix
    2) Your car's DME failed at some point, and a used DME/CAS from a totaled 335i were swapped into your car. This is tougher to fix (but not impossible).

Do you have INPA/WinKFP etc? If so read the UIF and see what it says.
    I do not have INPA/WINKFP. I'm about to get them along with a dkan cable. my question is what would they have done to copy a 335i tune to mine? Possible that they copied a MHD tune? When I ran the carfax on the 335i that the VIN is coming up as, clean title 0 accidents. It's also still being driven in New York. I feel bad because I failed emissions 5 times and it popped up on their carfax and not mine...

When I pulled the DME out of the car it had the OEM VIN sticker on it. Along with that there's a BMW guy near me who ran some program and said the DME VIN was coming up correct from his reading. Meaning the Chassis/correct VIN is showing up on the DME but when pulled through OBD2 it pulls up the 335i. That would be CAS related, or could it still be a software/tune copy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Terra, the vin on the DME matches the car’s vin. It has to be the software. As you said someone may have copied the software directly from a 335i.
    If the software was copied over to my DME, is there a way I can reflash the DME to stock form while keeping the JB4 in? I was thinking about downloading MHD and checking the VIN's on that, however it'd probably be more time and money effective to get WINKFP or INPA to read everything.
    Last edited by iEatSand; 01-26-2020 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    1-thirty-five-eye
    Hey so for an update I was digging around on the forums and found someone who flashed a 335i ppk tune onto his 135i. It broke his cruise control(my CC doesn't work aswell). How would I go about flashing the car back to stock? Is there a way the file is still stored somewhere? Would I need MHD or could I flash back to stock if I were to buy MHD?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by iEatSand View Post
    Hey so for an update I was digging around on the forums and found someone who flashed a 335i ppk tune onto his 135i. It broke his cruise control(my CC doesn't work aswell). How would I go about flashing the car back to stock? Is there a way the file is still stored somewhere? Would I need MHD or could I flash back to stock if I were to buy MHD?

Thanks!
    You should be able to flash back to stock with WinKFP.