Thread: Not getting spark. currently stuck on what to do next, please help.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325

Not getting spark. currently stuck on what to do next, please help.

I have a 1987 BMW 325 2.7. The car sat parked outside for about 10 years when I picked it up last summer. When I first got it I changed the fuel hard line, after that the car actually drove and ran, It ran for like 2 or 3 days. when I went back out to start it the next day. Nothing, it cranks but doesn't start. pulled a spark plug, it's not getting spark. So I replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires, coil, cap and rotor. Still crank no start. So I tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor, and that has not changed anything. There's 2 sensors on the bell housing that look identical, i only replaced one of them. Also when testing the new coil it's getting positive power but not grounding. kind of hit a brick wall on what to do next, thank you.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Have you verified that your timing belt hasn’t broken? 10+ years is so far overdue that I wouldn’t dare starting it at all.
    Take off the oil filler cap and look through it for movement while someone else is cranking it.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    No easy answer here but looking at the wiring diagram for my 85, it appears the coil gets its ground through the Motronic Control Unit. And that is looking for BOTH sensors on the flywheel. One looks for engine speed, the other for the reference point. Take a multi meter and check the resistance on both, they should be very similar. And make sure you don't reverse them at the connector!

And, I agree with the post above, make sure the timing belt hasn't broke on you. And when you get it started, the FIRST thing on your list should be replacing that timing belt.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    do the check through the oil fill cap for valve movement. i agree, hopefully the timing belt didn't break.

if it didn't, once you change the timing belt, then its the reference sensors on the driver's side of the trans bell housing, as noted above, which prevent spark when they go bad but when you remove them, look in the holes they mount to and make sure the little metal "tang" that the further rear one reads is still on the flywheel. since you replaced on sensor, verify that "tang" is there before replacing the other one as it is super common for it to come off the flywheel and cause the car not to run.

and the fix is easiest to do by removing the transmission from the car. its not required but it is 99% easier to do with the flywheel off the engine.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Did you change your alternator? While you're at it change your belts.
    '87 325is
    Build Thread Here