Thread: Went the extra mile with glove box fix.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC

Went the extra mile with glove box fix.

I did the glove box fix and noticed the dash lip where the box attaches was just plastic and seemed flimsy. So I made a couple of brackets and loosened the two lower bolts for the air bag and slotted my brackets to slip in and retighten the bolts. Drilled a hole where the glove box attaches to dash lip and now the weight of the box is being supported by 22 gague steel in stead of plastic. Test fitted and then painted black. Pic of painted brackets has glove box attaching screws in place for test fitting.

20200107_174427.jpg20200107_173535.jpg20200108_130434.jpg

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Nice work.

No finished photos with box installed?
    Last edited by mpire; 01-23-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I guess that would be a good idea. Sorry about that. I'll throw in a pic of my reinforcement job on the bent glovebox bracket while I'm at it.
    20200123_124922.jpg20200123_124912.jpg20200111_150903.jpg

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Nicely done!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Very nice! I need to do this to my glove box. Fixed the sag and removed the boat anchor but I found the PO had broke the screw attachment just to the left of the glove box.

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    That is fantastic. On my last Z3 all the plastic disintegrated when doing this project. I had to JB Weld some vinyl in to recreate the support spots. This would have been brilliant. I’m afraid on my current Z3 the same thing is going to happen so haven’t tackled it yet.

I don’t suppose you would have any interest in selling a set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbarbound View Post
    I don’t suppose you would have any interest in selling a set?
    I'd gladly buy a set as well!

This is a repair I have long neglected due to how unpleasant it is to deal with aged plastic.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I threw the templates away not thinking someone else might want them. Would have to take it apart again to copy existing brackets which I don't have time to do. But anyone can do this as it's not really to hard to do. You need some thin metal, in my case I used coil stock ( can get a piece at a home siding Supply store) and metal cutting snips. Use the pic in my first post to help get you started. Cut a square 3"×3" to start with and bend by hand (using a bench vice helps) the general shape and keep test fitting. Took me a few tries until I got it right. The key is using thin gauge metal that you can easily bend. Then once you get it right then copy that to some 22 gauge steel, prime and paint, done. Doesn't have to be pretty cause it won't be seen. Pic below shows my templates. White thin aluminum which can easily be bent by hand.
    20200103_172516.jpg20200107_174427.jpg

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Thanks for sharing. Nice work.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I plan on making these brackets myself to deal with the dreaded GBS (Glove Box Sag). However, I am missing one of the leather capped screws that holds the glove box on the left hand side to the dash. Does anyone know that part number of where to find that item?

Thanks

Bob

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I threw the templates away not thinking someone else might want them. Would have to take it apart again to copy existing brackets which I don't have time to do. But anyone can do this as it's not really to hard to do. You need some thin metal, in my case I used coil stock ( can get a piece at a home siding Supply store) and metal cutting snips. Use the pic in my first post to help get you started. Cut a square 3"×3" to start with and bend by hand (using a bench vice helps) the general shape and keep test fitting. Took me a few tries until I got it right. The key is using thin gauge metal that you can easily bend. Then once you get it right then copy that to some 22 gauge steel, prime and paint, done. Doesn't have to be pretty cause it won't be seen. Pic below shows my templates. White thin aluminum which can easily be bent by hand.
    20200103_172516.jpg20200107_174427.jpg

Thanks to your work and photos, I am more than 50% of the way with repair my glove box. I have cut and riveted a flat bar of steel to the top of the thin stamped metal bracket along the top of the glove box assembly. It is very strong and will not be bending again, although I've already removed the boat anchor in the glove box itself.

Both the plastic tabs along the left side of the assembly appear to have been broken by the PO during a radio install (I suspect). As you suggested, I purchased two steel brackets at Home Depot and have cut them to fit. I have measured multiple times and have not yet cemented them in place. I'm taking my time since the broken nubs that are left don't exactly show where the holes are to place the speed nuts, but I'm getting there.

The top two longer bolts that hold the top of the glove box to the dash had multiple fins of those little cones broken, so I Dremel'ed them all off and will be build a cement and spacer tower to replace what should be there.

I am still fussing with the brackets to hold the lip of the dash to the air bag bolts, as you did, they are a major pain in the butt.

But here is my darn issue. I have eight screws in my possession. I know the two that go into the console panel via the tabs that broke off are the type that requires the caps to snap on them. As do the two on the front and side of the assembly (left facing occupant, and right side facing the door.). Then there are two that go through the top face of the open glove box and go right into the lip of the dash that the brackets you fashioned go. Are they the long bolts given the plastic tower they pass through to get to the dash lip? Do they have caps?

Unfortunately, that still leaves me with two additional screws. Here is a pic of what I have and where I think they go, any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_1082.jpg

Here is where I think they go:
    A - front left (facing passenger) and right side facing door
    B - side console through broken tabs being re-built with metal brackets.
    C -
    D -
    E - front, inside of glove box to dash lip, through the plastic cone tower. I think these made be replacements from PO given your photo of the finished assembly.
    Plastic clip - it fell out after I removed glove box and I didn't see where it came from.

Thanks for any assistance.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    A&E holds straps from gb door to dash and gb it self to dash. B is for latch plate that door handle hooks to. Now as your setting in seat looki7ng at gb you need another short B screw on right side around corner ( can't see it when door is shut). Then C&D are same screw one to left of gb door and two on console panel for a total of ten. I think your two screws short. As for the broken clip I think that is attached to panel to the left of vent on back side. See pic.
    Screenshot_20200204-122557_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    A&E holds straps from gb door to dash and gb it self to dash. B is for latch plate that door handle hooks to. Now as your setting in seat looki7ng at gb you need another short B screw on right side around corner ( can't see it when door is shut). Then C&D are same screw one to left of gb door and two on console panel for a total of ten. I think your two screws short. As for the broken clip I think that is attached to panel to the left of vent on back side. See pic.
    Ok, that helps a bit.

The two screws that hold the strap to the gb were already reinstalled and not pictured.

I think you are exactly correct with E, except in your picture they appear to be the type of screw that gets the little rubber cap and I'm certain I did not have that type of screw installed when I removed them.

As for your thoughts that B go to the latch plate, those too are already installed and not pictured. These screws are the type that the rubber caps snap onto, that's why i thought they were the ones that would be installed on the center console plate that sits in front of the plastic tabs that I'm repairing with the metal brackets.

So I end up with E going to the top front of glove box inside of box to the dash, although no caps. A or B going to the left side to the console plate and either A or B being used on the front facing passenger and side towards doors, both with caps. I am still stuck with two screws, one the size for a trim rubber cap and no home for either.

I do see where the plastic clip should go, it will fit on the left top, where the E screw goes.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Expensive, but a turn-key (or turn-screw) option:

http://www.donewhenimdead.com/garage...8cbzkz5vndx31a
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I guess that would be a good idea. Sorry about that. I'll throw in a pic of my reinforcement job on the bent glovebox bracket while I'm at it.
    20200123_124922.jpg20200123_124912.jpg20200111_150903.jpg
    I'd like to clarify something with your design, which I am doing my best to replicate (thank you for the idea). Here is what I'm unsure about. Did you attach each bracket with a screw to the dash lip or did you simply drill a hole for the existing two screws that go through the top of the glove box assembly into their respective holes in that lip?

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I drilled a hole in the bracket so that the screws go through the gb then through the brackets then into the screw clip on the dash lip. So when the weight of the gb is pulling down on the lip, the brackets are supporting the dash lip.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I drilled a hole in the bracket so that the screws go through the gb then through the brackets then into the screw clip on the dash lip. So when the weight of the gb is pulling down on the lip, the brackets are supporting the dash lip.
    Thank you. The more I looked at your pics and looked at my setup, I figured that's what you did, but I was confused by the pics with the screws in. This makes sense now and that is how I will finish up. Tomorrow is Plast-Aid day for the side tabs.