RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2011 BMW X1 18i sDrive A/T mechanical problems

My Cars
    2011 BMW X1 sDrive 18i

2011 BMW X1 18i sDrive A/T mechanical problems

Hi all.

Please bear with me because this is going to be a long text.

I bought the above vehicle (the N/A version) on 10 Oct 2019 in Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia with just over 105 000 km showing on the odometer. I live and work in Mongolia. When I test drove the vehicle I couldn't detect anything wrong with it as it ran like clockwork (obviously). I do have some knowledge of cars in general, and drove other BMW's before. Later on that same day that I bought it I had to return to my workplace for a period of 3 weeks, after which I returned to Ulaanbaatar (UB) again. This was when my problems started. Almost immediately I noticed that the engine service light was on, and very frequently also the coolant indicator. It being a vehicle imported from Japan, I thought that it may just need a maintenance service, so I took it to a workshop that mainly works on BMW. They did a diagnostic test and found a few things wrong, (nothing major showed), and they did a general maintenance service. However, the service indicator light still showed afterwards, even though I specifically asked for them to reset that. Not long after that I started detecting a weird phenomenon. Whenever I depressed the accelerator pedal, the car did not respond immediately, but after some seconds it "came to life" and accelerated suddenly, very obviously a cause for huge concern. When it eventually starts running it does not run consistently - it acts almost like the clutch is slipping. The last obtained information, from a different workshop, indicated that the VANOS was faulty, and it was replaced with one imported from China, no less! My girlfriend also uses the car and I'm afraid that this could cause accidents. Even I am afraid to drive the car now and it spends all of its time in a parking garage, with just over 106 000 km showing. Because it is an imported model there was no mechanical warranty available, meaning I bought the vehicle "as is".

The information I supplied may not be enough to correctly point out what could be wrong, but I will gladly supply any further information necessary if it will help to identify the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Johan Karsten

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Wow! Mongolia!

The first step in diagnosing a problem is scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak ) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. You really need to go back and get the codes AND their descriptions. These cars are rolling computers so everything is controlled by a computer or dedicated electronic control. Everything talks to everything else.

Now, if you have a smartphone or tablet you can get the OBDFusion app. It comes in both android and iOS flavors. You’ll need a communications adapter that plugs into the obd2 connector under the dash. I prefer a WiFi adapter over a Bluetooth adapter. Try amazon.
    Now, this app is powerful in that it will allow you to “see” all sorts of data streams. However, it can only work with the DME. If you have a laptop go to the diagnostic software sub forum to see what’s available for and works in your car.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X1 sDrive 18i
    Thanks for your answer, Marco. I read about this app before, so I guess I'll just have to get it.