Thread: Time for new top

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Time for new top

118000 miles on my 98 M Roady. Getting quotes of $1100 - $1200 for new top. This is not an OEM top. OEM seems to run $2200+. OEM has zip out window, non-OEM has sewn window. This cost seem about right? I'm in SoCal. Also, any hints on keeping new window in good shape? Car is not garaged, but is rarely in direct sun and is covered much of the time.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwhimself View Post
    118000 miles on my 98 M Roady. Getting quotes of $1100 - $1200 for new top. This is not an OEM top... has sewn window. This cost seem about right? ... any hints on keeping new window in good shape? Car is not garaged, but is rarely in direct sun and is covered much of the time.
    The shop that replaced my top with a GAHH aftermarket top charged $500 for the top and $1,000 for labor. Others have paid around $350 for a similar top and $7-800 for labor. And I am sure some have paid much less.

However, cost is not the only consideration with a new top. It should be of Haartz Twillfast or Stayfast material from a quality vendor such as GAHH, Auto Tops Direct, Robbins, and Tops Online. And the shop should have experience with sealing ring type installations. The Z3 has a thin plastic band that is bolted around the boot to pinch and seal the top to the body with sticky butyl tape, forming a gutter that leads water to drain wells on each side. The sealing ring can break into sections in removal, shops won't have a new ring, and sometimes they don't get the new top sealed perfectly with the broken ring. Sealing ring leaks are difficult to repair, and will wet the cabin floor and lead to electrical problems.

To protect the plastic from scratches, I bought a flannel cover to put on before folding it, and a soft felt cover for the boot floor. You can do the same with towels.
    Rear Window Guard/Protector and Boot Well Mat
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    Some people recommend putting a pool noodle in the fold to prevent a center crease (not that it is a problem), and I tried that for a few months. It caused other creases at the ends, and the ends of the noodle were pinched in the folded bows and prevented the top from going down as far as possible (for putting on the folding semi-rigid boot cover).
    Last edited by Vintage42; 01-23-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Most of the scratches I have on my rear window came from the top well floor. I added a micro fiber towel to the floor and make sure to keep it clean. When the top is down, the window will rest of the towel and not the top well floor. It seems to be working. Many people have added something, like a towel or pool noodle) to the outside of the window, in the crease, as they lower the window. This may or may not do anything. I have never done that and don't see any bad effects on my window. I do (usually) put a window cover (link below) on my window when lowering the top, the window cover helps keep scratches off of the outside of the window. My window was getting scratches on the inside before I added the towel on the floor of the top well.

http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    Look for "Rear Window Guard/Protector"
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Hello,

I noticed that you are in the area.

Try Jim's Auto Upholstery in Kerney Mesa. They quoted me around 700-800 for GAHH. I can't recall if it was Twillfast or Stayfast. But it was matching material to genuine soft top. And also mind that I got the quote about 4-5 years ago.

[Edit] I can't recall the labor cost, but I want to say that it was around 500-600 so maybe the pricing is about the same, sorry. But I can vouch for their quality work.
    Last edited by nevan; 01-30-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Nevan - The first quote ($1k) was from Jim's. They're my go-to shop for upholstery. I then went to All Convertible Tops out in Lemon Grove. They put in a window for me 5 or 6 years ago. This time they said they're put in a very slightly used BMW window for $200. Did it and it looks great and will let me postpone a new top for another few years. Phew!

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Nevan - The first quote ($1k) was from Jim's. They're my go-to shop for upholstery. I then went to All Convertible Tops out in Lemon Grove. They put in a window for me 5 or 6 years ago. This time they said they're put in a very slightly used BMW window for $200. Did it and it looks great and will let me postpone a new top for another few years. Phew!
    The same for me, Jim is my go-to guy. He is awesome. There are many hidden gem places (aka old school) in the Kearney Mesa area if you know where to look. I bet Lemon Grove is like that too (from what I've heard at least). The place is a bit far from me, but I'll still check them out when time comes.
    Last edited by nevan; 01-31-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Last time I called BMW to check the price on an OEM top they told me it was >$10,000. $2,200 seems like a steal 😂

Just to confirm the price check. That price is in the range, if not under, what I’ve been able to find here in the Bay Area for someone with experience replacing tops on the Z.
    Last edited by danxor; 01-31-2020 at 07:06 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Here in Virginia it ran me $1200 for the new top and this is from a quality installer. This was for a fabric top, the vinyl was about $200 less.
    Last edited by Ron C S; 01-31-2020 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by danxor View Post
    Last time I called BMW to check the price on an OEM top they told me it was >$10,000...
    A "Genuine BMW" top is only $4,700 plus $240 for window, from this vendor.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/54348411534/
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Hellrot Red 1.9l
    Hello everyone, I am installing EUC (excellant used condition) soft top. There are two u shaped strips that attach the top, to the car, at the rear of the cabin section (behind the seats) Upon advice from another post I did not remove the outermost u shaped strip. The inner (tacking strip) has the top stapled to the strip and was covered in butyl goop. I scraped off the goop and ready to install the inner tacking strip. My question, does the tacking strip have two different tapes to stick to the outermost strip? One tape the butly goop, simular to windshield adhesive and the second a spongy double sided tape. Comments please!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    118000 miles on my 98 M Roady. Getting quotes of $1100 - $1200 for new top. This is not an OEM top. OEM seems to run $2200+. OEM has zip out window, non-OEM has sewn window. This cost seem about right? I'm in SoCal. Also, any hints on keeping new window in good shape? Car is not garaged, but is rarely in direct sun and is covered much of the time.
    You might just want to hold off, on getting the top replaced, at least until BMW starts producing the sealing frames, part# 51718398104, they are on back order, im having to piece mine back together, while I do my install. I emailed my local BMW dealer, and their response was, that BMW is working with another vendor, to start new production, and the expected time frame is mid September 2020. That is, if the date doesn't move again, cause I was told the first time it would be March, GOOD LUCK.