Thread: CCV\PCV again

My Cars
    1995 M3

CCV\PCV again

95 E36 M3, so nothing fancy for the "crankcase ventilation".
    It is a simple connector (no valves, etc) that connect 2 hoses that both go to the intake. WTF?
    One, goes to the ICV hose which is directly connected to the intake, and another hose that goes directly to the intake. WTF?

So I fill my crankcase about 1qt high to limit valve tic. And since I've been doing that, have been getting quite a bit of oil into the intake and throttle body.

For these cars with the above CCV setup, what's the go to solution to get those hoses out of the intake?

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Have you ever replaced the pcv valve? The small vacuum line at the bottom opens the top 3/8" line under vacuum or something like that. If you havent replaced the pcv valve or cleaned the pcv in a while, would be a good idea.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Have you ever replaced the pcv valve? The small vacuum line at the bottom opens the top 3/8" line under vacuum or something like that. If you havent replaced the pcv valve or cleaned the pcv in a while, would be a good idea.
    Really, there's actually a valve in that little thing? But no, haven't replaced it. I'll check it tomorrow. That could very well fix it all. THANKS.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Because you fill it high.. The cranknos going to mix and disperse oil more than usual. The oil condenses in the cvv hoses, goes into the intake.. Not sur ehow putting more oil in the crankcase is going to make the lifters not tick. But whatevs.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Because you fill it high.. The cranknos going to mix and disperse oil more than usual. The oil condenses in the cvv hoses, goes into the intake.. Not sur ehow putting more oil in the crankcase is going to make the lifters not tick. But whatevs.
    Pretty common stop-gap fix. Oil starvation on long high-G turns, lifters tick. More oil, less oil starvation. Yes, I have a baffle. No, I'm not paying $1500 for an E46 M3 dual oil pickup for a $2k engine.

Just wondering if I should go to a catch can.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Good to know. Ive only read that people put the cam plastic covers on both cams.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Good to know. Ive only read that people put the cam plastic covers on both cams.
    Interesting...less splashy splash. I may try that!

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Could also consider a bandaid approach with an accusump to prevent lifter tick for much cheaper than an S54 pickup.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Could also consider a bandaid approach with an accusump to prevent lifter tick for much cheaper than an S54 pickup.
    Good point. I've read a few threads. I don't even consider it a bandaid, no different than a fuel sump.
    I get a bit lost in the options, I need to figure out the minimalist version.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    So after reading a thousand pages on crankcase vents and catch cans etc, I still have a question or two.

Basically, my S50 does not drain anything back to the oil pan.
    It has a connector/hose attached to the valve cover, which splits into a large hose and a small hose. And they both go back to the intake side of the engine. (IIRC, the small one attaches to intake plenum (just upstream of the ICV), and the other attaches to the intake boot between the MAF and TB.)

However, I now have an opportunity to easily change that. I've added the S54 pump/pan system, so I have an spare inlet to the oil pan.

What would you do?

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I would replace the pcv valve and run it as intended. You shouldn't have to overfill anymore which will hopefully reduce your oil consumption issue right?

If you are still seeing consumption, just add a catch can later into the larger line?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I like the simple solution.
    New PCV valve/splitter is already in hand.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The obd dont have a pcv persay.. The "valve" is literally just a connector with an upper and lower hole.. One runs to the boot, the other runs to the elbow above the icv... I would imagine you could just attach a obdll oil stick, then run to that and plug the pre throttle boot hole. If you unconnected the vent completely from after the maf, it may cause an issue.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep, that's mine. Hole in valve cover, connected to two hoses to the places you list. No "valve", no drain back into crankcase.
    What purpose does that really serve?

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    I'd personally just set up a catch can and bypass the PCV. From what I read the oil that ends up back in your intake is pretty filthy and is better stored in a catch can. On my boosted setup, I just ran the stock breather valve in the rocker cover to a catch can, then plumbed another port into the top of the rocker cover to the catch can too. No more gunk in the intake and no junk oil filtering back into the sump. Pretty cheap to do too....just an option

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Might not be much help, but I was burning a lot of oil at the track recently. I went through 2.5qt in 3 track days. Replaced my CCV and now it consumes almost nothing.

I run 7qts normally in my stock pan and no oil cooler.