Thread: How should I avoid doing things twice?

My Cars
    1998 540i/6

How should I avoid doing things twice?

Hey guys,

I plan on doing a full cooling system refresh next week and I want to do the electric fan conversion but I'm a little nervous. I feel confident I have the skills for the job, but it would be easier with two people. That said, I need to make an 8 hour drive to my buddy's shop where we plan on doing the chain guides and some tranny/clutch work. Here's my dilemma, do I:

1) Just replace my water pump, radiator, and hoses. Reuse the old fan and fan clutch and make the 8 hour drive, hope nothing explodes, and do the electric conversion with my buddy who has way more skills than me and has already done it to his E46. OR...

2) Replace everything, do the electric fan conversion, and call it a day. Then have to remove everything again to get the engine out and probably replace the upper and lower radiator hoses again because I'm pretty sure I shouldn't install them, run them for a while, take them off, then reinstall them. Something tells me that's just asking for leaks. This is the most time consuming and expensive option, but obviously the safest. OR...

3) Risk the drive with my water pump going out and adding coolant once a week (bad idea) OR...

4) Just do the water pump and do the rest of the job with my buddy when the engine is out.

5) or? Maybe you have a better idea.

I what I am asking is, what is the best way to do this without having to do part of the job twice while still being fairly confident I won't blow anything up?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    For a DIY'er, I'd go with Option 2. And no, it will not leak if you do it right. Replace the radiator hoses as well.

Sure, you'll have to tear down the engine again if and when you do the guides. But that is an entirely another job and really not necessary in my opinion as long as the guides did not break...
    As to the clutch, you'd have to pull the transmission anyway.
    Last edited by Chedley; 01-21-2020 at 07:40 PM.

My Cars
    01 540/6
    rent a truck and trailer??

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Since I can do everything myself, I do it once, properly, DONE!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    So what if I don't change out the fan and fan clutch? Just the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, expansion tank, cap, etc.? Will the old fan and clutch be okay? Then I can drive it south and have some help with the conversion? Honestly, I am a little concerned about putting in an electric fan right now because I have some weird electrical issues I am trying to fix and I am afraid the additional strain it would put on my electrical system might be bad.
    Last edited by baneoh; 01-22-2020 at 04:23 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    That would be fine. Why do you feel the need to change the fan and fan clutch ??
    "If it ai'nt broke, do not fix it"....!!

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by baneoh View Post
    So what if I don't change out the fan and fan clutch? Just the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, expansion tank, cap, etc.? Will the old fan and clutch be okay? Then I can drive it south and have some help with the conversion? Honestly, I am a little concerned about putting in an electric fan right now because I have some weird electrical issues I am trying to fix and I am afraid the additional strain it would put on my electrical system might be bad.
    Do you know that the fan/clutch is bad? Search for the rolled up newspaper test. If it passes the test, use it. Essentially, it just pulls air through the radiator at idle or low speeds. If you'll be driving on the freeway to your friend's house, don't sweat it.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Jeez, if it’s that much of a concern, don’t reinstall the fan and clutch. You can drive the car no problem without them, hell, you can even wait a year or so if it fits your schedule to wait, before you drive it to your buddies shop. Lots of guys run their cars without the setup.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1999 5281
    as long as the aux fan stays operational...if it doesnt...then...blammmo

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    I vote #4, just do the water pump for the moment. It's winter, the cooling system won't be taxed hard, you could even run without the fan for the moment as long as the aux works now.

But I would not attempt it with a leaking water pump. You're local to me so you can follow on locations. Long ago I had a Bavaria. The water pump just started to leak a little bit, just a little. We decided to take it to Reno for the weekend, living in Cotati at the time, without changing the WP. It was leaking pretty bad in Sac, but I pressed on. Made it halfway up Donner summit. Water was just pouring out by then less than 200 miles later. It probably wouldn't happen to you, but it might. Of course my situation was complicated by an intermittent temp gauge, but still. Don't try with a leaky water pump. It might go that way for years, or it might be hours.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    1999 5281
    water pump leak could be caused by a seal problem, or a shaft bearing problem. if shaft bearing wont last long, with a seal problem youre just playing the odds...not with good numbers.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    I vote #4, just do the water pump for the moment. It's winter, the cooling system won't be taxed hard, you could even run without the fan for the moment as long as the aux works now.

But I would not attempt it with a leaking water pump. You're local to me so you can follow on locations. Long ago I had a Bavaria. The water pump just started to leak a little bit, just a little. We decided to take it to Reno for the weekend, living in Cotati at the time, without changing the WP. It was leaking pretty bad in Sac, but I pressed on. Made it halfway up Donner summit. Water was just pouring out by then less than 200 miles later. It probably wouldn't happen to you, but it might. Of course my situation was complicated by an intermittent temp gauge, but still. Don't try with a leaky water pump. It might go that way for years, or it might be hours.
    Thanks Mike. Did you used to live outside of Sebastopol? IIRC I almost bought a white E28 535i from you almost 10 years ago?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If nothing is leaking do it all at once at you buddy's shop

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by baneoh View Post
    Thanks Mike. Did you used to live outside of Sebastopol? IIRC I almost bought a white E28 535i from you almost 10 years ago?
    Yep, that's me. Small world us BMW junkies. IIRC you ended up with a euro E28 525i? I'm up in Cloverdale now.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    Yep, that's me. Small world us BMW junkies. IIRC you ended up with a euro E28 525i? I'm up in Cloverdale now.
    Sure did! Boy, that one was tough to figure out. I owe you a ton of thanks for your help with that car back in the day. Since it was such a weird combination of different models and almost no information out there. Your E21 experience helped a lot. Good to see you still cruising around the forums, offering your expertise!