Thread: Wash your seat belt!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

Wash your seat belt!

Not sure where I read about this, maybe here. My seat belt has never retracted well. I washed it with heavy laundry soap and light scrubbing. Unbelievable how much the wash water got black. Now it retracts like new, almost.

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Not sure where I read about this, maybe here. My seat belt has never retracted well. I washed it with heavy laundry soap and light scrubbing. Unbelievable how much the wash water got black. Now it retracts like new, almost.
    Interesting. How did you go about washing it? Just curious about the technique.
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I always figured RugDoctor + upholstery attachment.

I really need to do this to some of the cars.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I put a bucket of very warm water on the seat, probably 3 gallons, with enough laundry soap for a whole load of clothes. I pulled out the seat belt and clamped so it couldn't retract. I soaked for about 15 minutes. I scrubbed the available material on both sides against the side of the bucket. Repeat, without the scrub part, with rinse water. Placed it over the steering wheel to dry overnight.
    Last edited by zellamay; 01-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I've got to take my seats out this winter to replace the seat bushings, that would be a good time to wash the belts. Hey thanks for the tip.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Just remember that this bit of woven nylon has an important job, so be conservative with the caustic chemicals.

/.randy

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    I did this and if fixed the slow retract problem. Works great. Bucket of hot detergent water was NASTY after letting it soak.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    must do too, mine is so slow, it was mentioned in a past post, I planned to but procrastinated.. Ok - so warm bucket of water with soapy non-caustic cleaner, soak, brush, flush until clean, let dry extended. I was probably just going to run it through a hot soapy towel then a wet towel but that sounds better.
    Last edited by ZGator; 01-23-2020 at 06:27 PM.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2001 525it
    My beige seat belt I'd is very dirty and I've been thinking how to clean it, thanks for the tip

My Cars
    01' 2.5i Rdstr'
    Gave me a guilt complex !! So I washed mine today. Now with that said my "Z" is always garaged,under a cover,and never driven in the rain.The wash water was black and it took 3 rinses to get reasonably clear water. Anxious to see how well the retraction mechanism works now.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Easier if you remove the belt.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I tried this (dish soap in warm water & rinse) and it didn't help much. Not much dirt came out. I think the 25 year-old springs are just worn out as they hardly have enough retraction force to lift the metal buckles. I'm wondering if I should obtain a used pair off ebay and have these guys do their number on it: https://www.safetyrestore.com/bmw-z3...-accident.html

They mention "seat belt is retracting slowly". I don't expect they replace the springs, but maybe a good cleaning and lubrication would help.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    I tried this (dish soap in warm water & rinse) and it didn't help much. Not much dirt came out. I think the 25 year-old springs are just worn out as they hardly have enough retraction force to lift the metal buckles. I'm wondering if I should obtain a used pair off ebay and have these guys do their number on it: https://www.safetyrestore.com/bmw-z3...-accident.html

They mention "seat belt is retracting slowly". I don't expect they replace the springs, but maybe a good cleaning and lubrication would help.
    I'm no cleaning expert, but i would use laundry soap, not dish soap. That might be the reason not much dirt came out. I and others have reported black water after washing.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    but i would use laundry soap, not dish soap
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm stalled in most everything else and would love to have success at something!
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Call it a copout but I was thinking about buying a replacement from the dealer. Has anyone done this? Or is the pricing just stupid?
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Call it a copout but I was thinking about buying a replacement from the dealer. Has anyone done this? Or is the pricing just stupid?
    Pricing aside, it's easier to clean it than to replace it.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Pricing: I think FCP Euro has the parts - $319 each side if I'm not mistaken.

I took a brief look at replacing, and just the R&R looked like a PITA to me.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Pricing aside, it's easier to clean it than to replace it.
    Ok, so I played washer women (no offense gals) for an hour today with a genuine Tide Plus pod. This time I unbolted the belts (another PITA) and soaked those puppies down good, then rinsed and rinsed. Didn't do shit and no detectable dirt in said wash or rinse waters.

Maybe my early production classic doesn't have the same dirt absorbent belts of later models. In fact the extremely thin 100% nylon is, if anything too thin. When the tired old springs try to retract the driver's belt, the flimsy thing folds itself into a V shape and promptly jams itself into the bottom of the seat belt guide and slowly retracting turns into no retracting.

That's it for now, will live with the problem until I win that million dollar lottery and Ed McMann (is he still alive) finally delivers the check.

Oh, and after a morning of work, my glovebox is repaired with a new latch mechanism and resting in its proper place. I'm still missing so many fastener anchors I'm afraid the thing is going to projectile into my partners lap and still considering squirting some construction adhesive in to permanently put it in its place.

My Cars
    1999 imola m coupe
    Removing the belts from the z3 coupe are absolute PITA, roadster is simpler, if belts are worn and not happy with the color or the condition, remove the belts and send them to Seat Belt Restore or call 855-552-7233, the variety of colors they have is incredible, I sent them the black belts from my imola m coupe, they sent me Pictures of some red belt material they had, after agreeing on the red I was happy with, a week later my new seat belts came in, looks amazing and very happy/satisfied with these folks, would recommend it wholeheartedly. They would replace each seat belt for less than $100 usually, but might have a sale going on now.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    remove the belts and send them to Seat Belt Restore or call 855-552-7233
    Thanks for the tip - on my list! I'll take them in black.