Thread: advise needed - soft top roof won't open/close

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

advise needed - soft top roof won't open/close

Hi all,

I own a 2004 BMW Z4 (e85) which until recently had a perfectly working soft top roof.
    Last week, suddenly, it stopped working... it won't open.

Normally, when working, this happened:
    - I push in the button to open the roof (above the ashtray, under the aircon controls), and i keep pressing on the button
    - the little red LED light next to the button turns on and stays on
    - after a second or so, both driver and passenger powered windows go down halfway
    - a second or so later, the roof motor opens the roof.
    - when the roof is fully opened/stowed, the windows go up again, and I let go of the button and the red led light goes out.

Now, this is what happens:
    - I push in the same button, and keep pressing, just like before
    - the little red LED light also turn on and stays on as normal
    - nothing happens, no activity whatsoever, the windows don't go down and the roof does nothing at all, does'nt matter how long i keep pushing the button...
    - when i let go of the button, the red LED light goes out.

Note that both the power windows work fine, when operated via their respective up/down buttons.

I have opened the fusebox inside the glove-box, and checked the 3 fuses for the roof (as indicated on the fuse info card),
    and all 3 fuses are fine, I tested them with my multimeter and they are all %100

I'm a computer software developer/nerd with 2 left hands when it comes to cars and mechanics, so if someone can help,
    please try to explain in detail so i an hopefully understand

I live quite a long ride (1,5 hours) from the nearest decent workshop so i'd love to hear from anyone on these forums for any things I could try myself before heading down to the workshop to get it looked at and spending a ton of money on it...
    It's summer here in NZ and pretty sunny/hot, and it would be awesome if I could enjoy it a little more by driving with my roof down...

Thanks for your advise, I really appreciate it!

Yours,
    Terrence

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Check that the shelf tray is down and the knobs are in their proper “home” position... wherever that is. Check to see if the bulkhead micro switch is being activated by the shelf “protrusion”....

These can cause the top to not open...

There are details regarding colour of the lights etc... but I like to check the simple cost free things first.

You can google the issue and it will bring up threads for you to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Hi Clearancedriver,

That did the trick!!!

I found the micro switch you mentioned with some google image searches and checked it, and it was stuck,
    and after fixing it, the roof works %100 again!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this,
    this could have been a 1,5 hour trip to the city and probably a hundred NZ dollars or so for "diagnosing and fixing the issue"

I wish I lived close to you, so I could buy you a beer!

Alas...

Terrence

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Hi Clearancedriver,

That did the trick! The roof now works %100 again, after i fixed the stuck microswitch i found in the boot as per your instructions...
    This saved me a 1,5 hour trip to the city and probably a hundred dollars or more for "diagnosing and fixing" the issue... LOL

I really appreciate your help

Cheers,
    Terrence

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    You are welcome.... appreciate the offer of the beer. Wouldn’t mind visiting your “islands”.... one day perhaps.

Steve .. Victoria on Vancouver Island...

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4
    Hi, glad you got your issue resolved.

I have an 2007 E85, i have replaced the roof motor as it was no longer working, although after reattaching the roof and adjoining parts the motor still doesn't work and the latch motor will only close (it doesn't work when pressing the open button, it just flashes red).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated/

Many thanks

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Check to see that the “shelf” is down in the proper position and that it’s engaged the microswitch on the bulkhead. Check the microswitch to ensure that the little silver lever is there and didn’t fall off when you were working on the motor....

If you are unsure whether the microswitch is functioning properly, temporarily bypass it.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    How do you bypass it. I have the shelf out of mine, planning to try and figure out what's wrong with mine.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmoz86 View Post
    Hi, glad you got your issue resolved.

I have an 2007 E85, i have replaced the roof motor as it was no longer working, although after reattaching the roof and adjoining parts the motor still doesn't work and the latch motor will only close (it doesn't work when pressing the open button, it just flashes red).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated/

Many thanks

Hey

Rather than going thru a lot of cross posting, I'm going to re-direct you and ask you to post this question on the UK z4 Forum. You folk in the UK have 4 or 5 guy's (I believe) all over that help other z4 owners with top problems. These guy's are very, very good at trouble shooting these issues. However, you should be aware that they are service for a fee......but, there fees are way, way less than a dealership or even a garage. If I lived in the UK I would have had one of them do my top rather than myself.

Anyway, here is the link:
    https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewforum...3e7157e567805a

lot's of luck

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC

advise needed - soft top roof won't open/close

You bypass it by simply connecting the wires that go to the microswitch together.... piece of wire... alligator clips...

When bypassed it’s as if the microswitch was properly activated...by the shelf being in its proper position with the microswitch engaged.

Last edited by Clearancediver; 07-14-2020 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    Thank you

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    My top quit working with it in the open position. I just recently,using a bunch of manpower, got it closed and locked in. I have taken the parcel shelf out and when it cools down Abit plan to use the thru the trunk method to actually investigate why mine quit working. It worked fine for some time then little by little, it didn't want to go all the way up or down. Car stays in a garage.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I have pulled the pump out through the trunk, and like everyone else, the pump is rusted and sitting in water. It's not as bad as some that I have seen on You Tube. I sprayed it down with WD40 and will see if it works after it has dried.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    It works after s thorough cleaning. I hope I didn't damage any lines getting it out. Now to bleed all the air out of the lines and top off the fluid.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    After topping off fluid my top is going down, opening, rather easily. When I need it to close, I have to reach back and give it a little boost to close. I hope ,since it hasn't been used in 6 months that the closing will get better. Never being much of a mechanic, I'm a little proud that I , and you tube, was able to do this.