Thread: TPM Inactive - 2010 BMW 328i Coupe

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe

TPM Inactive - 2010 BMW 328i Coupe

I've read other forums and posts about multiple TPM malfuntions and what to check. That being said I've checked what I can already but I'm not seeing what other people point out in other posts.

Car: 2010 BMW 328i Coupe

So at the beginning many moons ago, my TPM inactive light was come on and stay on for a while and then go off. As days/months went on it would stay on longer and come back on faster. Now I'm just at a point where it shows up when I start the car and just stays on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18j...cciR_mGvld0tH6

The only thing I have replaced so far is the fuse (easist of course).

Next 2 things I plan on doing from reading other posts is changing out the Reception antenna RDC and/or the control unit RDC.

However I was wondering if there is a way to tell which on I should try first? Because, well, one if more expensive than the other.

Also can someone tell me where these two items might be located for my paticular car. Other posts say the Control unit is under the spare tire. However I don't have a spare tire in the coupe.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Have you checked the sensors? How old are they? What codes do you have?
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    Discount tire told me they didn't find anything wrong with the individual sensors. Besides, if one of the sensors is bad wouldn't you just see the tire diagram with an arrow for the tire in question?

bmw_lowtire.JPG

Not sure... haven't had a faulty sensor yet.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    No, a bad sensor will not give you a Low Tire message. It will give you a TPMS Inactive message.
    Pull the codes.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
    No, a bad sensor will not give you a Low Tire message. It will give you a TPMS Inactive message.
    Pull the codes.
    Alright, I'll have them check again since it's been a while.

On a side note I read that there is a battery in the reception antenna unit that has a shelf life of 9 years give or take a few. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it fits better with my TPM light going on off at the beginning and getting more constant as the months rolled by.

My Cars
    Don't go to a tire shop. You need a real shop with the proper scan tool than can read the fault codes from the RDC module. Not just scan the sensors in the wheels, which is likely what discount tire does.

Get the codes before you waste any more time and money. This is ALWAYS step one when diagnosing any vehicle, especially a BMW, with a warning light on.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Don't go to a tire shop. You need a real shop with the proper scan tool than can read the fault codes from the RDC module. Not just scan the sensors in the wheels, which is likely what discount tire does.

Get the codes before you waste any more time and money. This is ALWAYS step one when diagnosing any vehicle, especially a BMW, with a warning light on.
    Do you a recommendation on where to take my ride to have this checked other than a BMW dealership that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    You can get a BMW-capable scanner cheaply. ISTA, MHD, Foxwell, BimmerGeeks, Launch, Carly.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    You can get a BMW-capable scanner cheaply. ISTA, MHD, Foxwell, BimmerGeeks, Launch, Carly.
    So is this one good?

https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-Upgrad...NrPXRydWU&th=1

And this should tell me whether the problem is with an individual tire sensor, Reception antenna, or Control Unit?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    That'll work, but no need to spend so much. You can get a used CRP123 or CRP129 far cheaper. Or all the other options I listed are much cheaper.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    That'll work, but no need to spend so much. You can get a used CRP123 or CRP129 far cheaper. Or all the other options I listed are much cheaper.
    Cool thanks. Just to ask again though... that will point to one of these 3 (individual tire sensor, Reception antenna, or Control Unit)as the culprit right?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    I cannot predict what code(s) you have.
    Given the symptoms you've described, it is very likely you'll pull codes indicating a problem or problems with one or more of those components.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    I've never used one of these before, but I always wanted to get one of these scanners for my vehicles, so buying it is not an issue. I'm questioning what kind of information it will give me, not what my actual issue is. Do these things point to individual components? Using my problem right now here's an example...

Say I have a faulty right front tire sensor. Will this device tell me that I have a right front sensor not working, or will it tell me that I have a faulty TPMS sensor somewhere on my car?

How specific are devices like this?

Thanks for all the help with my questions so far.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    If a single sensor is out, the code will tell you which one. However, the problem may be the sensor, the wheel well antenna, or the wiring to the antenna.
    In general, codes alert you to a specific symptom in a specific area of the car's electronics or electrical systems. They never positively identify a bad component. You must use (usually common-sense) logical diagnostic procedure to verify the root cause.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    That's what I wanted to know. I've read enough of the forums to know that it could be possible that the antenna or the wiring as the root cause. I'll continue in the logical path of course, I was just trying to figure out the devices capabilities before I purchased one.

Again thanks so much for all your help.

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I just had all the tire pressure sensors changed after not being able to isolate the weak one. Worth every penny to not hear that annoying ding.
    Working on the 325 reminds me how much I LOVED my old Jeep Wrangler. A bus ate it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The tpms module may live in the right rear quarter panel area, check if water has gotten in there

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The tpms module may live in the right rear quarter panel area, check if water has gotten in there
    My right rear quarter panel in the trunk has my battery in it and there is nothing but a small space where you think a spare would be because I was told my coupe's don't have spares. I might be missing it, but I've definitely checked where other people's post have talked about it being and to check for water.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The module is not very big but I have seen certain models where the module was sitting in water before in that area

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    After reading the codes with the Launch crp128e, I don't even see any for TPMS:
    bmw_codes.JPG