Thread: Driver side low beam does not work

My Cars
    1990 325i Convertible

Driver side low beam does not work

OK guys please read the whole thing before commenting. So my driver side low beam headlight will not work. I am getting no voltage to the contact on the relay for that headlight. Swapped the relay with the one from the other side no change. So then I suspected that the headlight switch was bad so I replaced that no change. How do you pull that relay/fuse board to look at the underside for a possible mangled wire? Mine lifts up like 2" so I cant even see under it. Anyone else have a similar problem?
    Thanks
    2004 S500 4matic w/AMG body kit
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    1997 Volvo 850 GLT
    1997 Audi A4 Quattro V6
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
    1990 325ic

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    can you take the switch back out and measure the voltage coming off the switch to see if you are getting anything to the switch?
    '87 325is
    Build Thread Here

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    In case you don't have it, diagrams are here http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

There is no relay for just one side. The K4 relay controls both sides. The K3 controls the high beams and the K6 controls the fogs. So if low beams are lighting on one side but not the other, your problem isn't the relays. Also remember that the outboard headlamps on a sealed beam system are dual beam lamps. That means there are separate filaments for low and high and why there are 3 wires to the outboard lamps.

1. Make sure your relays are back in their original positions
    2. With ignition on, turn on your headlights in the low position.
    3. Disconnect the headlamp and check for voltage on the yellow/white (LH) or yellow/blue (RH). If you have voltage there, the problem is the low beam filament in your headlamp (most likely) of a bad ground (less likely). Replace the headlamp.
    4. If you don't have voltage on only 1 side, replace the corresponding fuse. Fuse 13 (LH) or fuse 14 (RH).

One final note for anyone else reading this. There were 3 different arrangements for US headlights through the e30 production run so these notes may not apply to you. There was the early sealed beam, the ellipsoid, and the late sealed beam.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1990 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDarkE30 View Post
    can you take the switch back out and measure the voltage coming off the switch to see if you are getting anything to the switch?
    Yep got that. I have voltage in and out of the switch.

- - - Updated - - -

OK again there is a relay. It is A double pole double throw relay. One side is getting power the other pole is receiving no power. Which means no power to the headlight as that pole has no power. Relays are the same so I swapped them to see if I had a bad relay as they are the same relay number. No change. So again the wire going to that pole has to be bad. I am getting it at the switch the relay engages. No power to that pole on the relay. How do you pull the the fuse/relay panel up higher than 2" to check to see if the wires coming into it are damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    In case you don't have it, diagrams are here http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

There is no relay for just one side. The K4 relay controls both sides. The K3 controls the high beams and the K6 controls the fogs. So if low beams are lighting on one side but not the other, your problem isn't the relays. Also remember that the outboard headlamps on a sealed beam system are dual beam lamps. That means there are separate filaments for low and high and why there are 3 wires to the outboard lamps.

1. Make sure your relays are back in their original positions
    2. With ignition on, turn on your headlights in the low position.
    3. Disconnect the headlamp and check for voltage on the yellow/white (LH) or yellow/blue (RH). If you have voltage there, the problem is the low beam filament in your headlamp (most likely) of a bad ground (less likely). Replace the headlamp.
    4. If you don't have voltage on only 1 side, replace the corresponding fuse. Fuse 13 (LH) or fuse 14 (RH).

One final note for anyone else reading this. There were 3 different arrangements for US headlights through the e30 production run so these notes may not apply to you. There was the early sealed beam, the ellipsoid, and the late sealed beam.
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    1997 Volvo 850 GLT
    1997 Audi A4 Quattro V6
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
    1990 325ic

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    there are some screws in the top of the fuse panel that let you pull it up. two or three screws, if I remember right
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    there are some screws in the top of the fuse panel that let you pull it up. two or three screws, if I remember right
    Yes and it only comes up 2".
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    1997 Volvo 850 GLT
    1997 Audi A4 Quattro V6
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
    1990 325ic

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    ohhh, sorry. I misread what you said earlier. when it came up two inches, only the top half came up, or the whole assembly? if I remember right, the fuse box is a two piece design so if you pulled it up one way, look for the other bolts/screws and it will let you pull it up a little more.

we have had corrosion on the under side of the fuse box that cause no start issues. you could find your issue under there
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    ohhh, sorry. I misread what you said earlier. when it came up two inches, only the top half came up, or the whole assembly? if I remember right, the fuse box is a two piece design so if you pulled it up one way, look for the other bolts/screws and it will let you pull it up a little more.

we have had corrosion on the under side of the fuse box that cause no start issues. you could find your issue under there
    Cool I will look and see if it is 2 piece. Thanks
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    1997 Volvo 850 GLT
    1997 Audi A4 Quattro V6
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
    1990 325ic

My Cars
    1987 325ic
    Wiring is getting old and brittle in these cars. Have a fog and a rear side marker I need to chase down broken wires on.