Thread: What’s this bracket/hanger for?

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

What’s this bracket/hanger for?

I was replacing my tires last night and when I removed the drivers side rear, I saw this metal bracket hanging like such. (Marked by red arrow). Anyone know what this part is for? Ok to remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2000 E38 740i Sport
    No idea but I would try looking along the cable length in the direction of the red arrow in your first picture to see where it is likely to have come from.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    That's the bracket that holds up the handbrake cable. The two ends should clip into the bodywork somewhere along the length of the cable, I forget where but you'll know it when you see it. It's to support the handbrake cable and stop it from touching anything it's not supposed to, but it's also one of the most common sources of a very annoying rattle that's hard to track down if you don't know what you're looking for. I'd find where it goes in, bend it out wider a bit (to add outwards tension when you reinstall it) put it back into place, and then just put a heap of duct tape around it or the handbrake cable at that spot so the cable stops rattling against it (or cut up some rubber for a more permanent solution, whatever you feel like doing). Sure, you could just remove it entirely, but why not put it back where it's meant to go and remove that risk of slack or rattling.

I was sure the bracket was on Realoem but I can't find it for the life of me...

*edit* A ha, found it. It's under Pedals -> Pedals. Part numbers 16 and 18. More than likely, the two grommets (part 18) have fallen out / rotted out and that let the cable rattle free and fall;

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=GH83-USA-02-2001-E38-BMW-740iL&diagId=35_0167

I'm sure you can ghetto a fix easy as
    Last edited by Sobek; 01-21-2020 at 08:28 AM.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    That's the bracket that holds up the handbrake cable. The two ends should clip into the bodywork somewhere along the length of the cable, I forget where but you'll know it when you see it. It's to support the handbrake cable and stop it from touching anything it's not supposed to, but it's also one of the most common sources of a very annoying rattle that's hard to track down if you don't know what you're looking for. I'd find where it goes in, bend it out wider a bit (to add outwards tension when you reinstall it) put it back into place, and then just put a heap of duct tape around it or the handbrake cable at that spot so the cable stops rattling against it (or cut up some rubber for a more permanent solution, whatever you feel like doing). Sure, you could just remove it entirely, but why not put it back where it's meant to go and remove that risk of slack or rattling.

I was sure the bracket was on Realoem but I can't find it for the life of me...

*edit* A ha, found it. It's under Pedals -> Pedals. Part numbers 16 and 18. More than likely, the two grommets (part 18) have fallen out / rotted out and that let the cable rattle free and fall;

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=GH83-USA-02-2001-E38-BMW-740iL&diagId=35_0167

I'm sure you can ghetto a fix easy as
    Sweet! Thanks Sobek! I’ll try to get that thing fastened in place when it’s not freezing out

"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

What’s this bracket/hanger for?

Found the holes this bracket connects to. Hopefully you can see from the pics. I’m not sure the cable it holds was at much risk of damage though? It was supported at locations upstream and downstream of this bracket.

I tried to take pics of both locations. One is far up towards the middle of the car and covered underneath. It’s hard to see in the pics. The other is right above the rear control arms. Pic of that support is more visible.

Thanks again for your help

Last edited by kahlilj; 01-23-2020 at 03:55 PM.