Thread: How well do insurance pay out claims?

My Cars
    bmw

How well do insurance pay out claims?

Lady backed into me while I was stopped in line leaving a busy parking lot. Literally watched her get into her car and back into me🤦*♂️.
    Called cops, he asked for our licenses and she said she didn't have one and when he asked why I think she mumbled "it got taken away"....

Anyways, she has State Farm and it seems like they are covering the repairs to my car (damage from passenger door to front bumper), said I can get an estimator come to my house to look at it or I can choose any repair shop for the repair. If it's in network, they'd send a package before I got to the repair shop. I don't want it repaired, I want to collect the money, so I told them I'd read reviews and get back to them aka get the highest quote 🙃

First shop was renovating and I didn't hear back from. Next two shops quoted $3400. Fourth shop said bumper needs to replaced, it can't be repaired, quoted $4800. First shop the one renovating finally got back and said also to replace the bumper and quoted $6000. So, I guess the two $3400 quotes were wrong. Fifth shop, literally a garage in someone's back yard, wouldn't give me a quote since he said State Farm wouldn't pay for a replacement. Then again this is the only shop not "in network" with state farm and the guy was a meth head so I can see how he would appear as not trustworthy.

Anyways, how good are insurance companies (especially State Farm) with doing payouts? Do they usually just pay out, or will they haggle or say no?

The car given the year and mileage is probably only worth $25k and if you are more than 20 feet away then you probably won't even notice the damage. But it is a BMW and I think they know if I get it fixed it'll more than likely end up being more than the quote so they should just cut a check?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think State Farm is a good company. I think it is mutual — owner by its users. My favorite is USAA but you need a military connection to be accepted. All insurance companies try to pay no more than they have to. Often people who lost their license have no money, so State Farm may not bother filing a subrogation action (under your policy it has the right to sue the other driver in your name if that driver is at fault to collect for the damages), but maybe the criminal case for driving without a license will result in a restitution order that is more easily enforced. Anyway, argue. You can take the car to the shop you choose as well for an estimate. Figure on getting State Farm to approve a shop somewhere in the average range rather than the low and higher outliers. If you just want the cash, I don’t think you will get any more than the average.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    My recommendation is to find the best shop in the LA area and insist that the car be fixed there. Most reputable shops accept the insurance company’s estimates and payments. And yes, State Farm is a highly reputable insurance company. Hey, Aaron Rodgers is in their ads!!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    State Farm's reputation is less than stellar folks. Anyone wanna bitch about cheesy aftermarket crash parts? Start the conversation with how State Farm started the trend and how they eventually lost a class action suit about it. Or just ask someone from Florida about their SF home owner's policy.
    OP file with YOUR insurance company(if you trust them) and they will handle it, ostensibly (since they are not paying) in your best interest. Also make it clear with the repair shop that no corners are to be cut without YOUR approval.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue