Thread: E36 dry sump oil hoses to trunk

My Cars
    97 M3 w/S54, 11 E92 M3

E36 dry sump oil hoses to trunk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]665280[/ATTACHI am doing a winter project on a car I purchased this past summer. E36 w/S54 w/VAC dry sump conversion. Previous owner located a 1.5 gal oil tank under the hood by the firewall ecu compartment. I purchased a 3 gal tank for more volume for cooling purposes and will locate in the trunk and am looking for best option for running the two 16AN braided oil lines from the pump to the tank in the truck and back. Through the firewall in passenger compartment and back? Come up through the rear passenger tunnel/footwell or fully run under the car in the tunnel? Pictures of anyone's build would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 96 M3 4CURVS; 01-19-2020 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    E30 here but same idea.

I don't have good recent pics but this gives the general idea of the routing, worked great. Even my calibrator doesn't bitch about the heat from them and he sits in the car for hours wearing shorts but he's a trooper.

One thing I'd recommend is to get those spiral inserts of the appropriate size that Vibrant sells and put them into all vacuum lines, especially the feed line from the tank. The lines get soft as they heat up and can easily collapse under vacuum, blocking off all flow.

From here they go through grommets in the firewall and around the motor to the pump.

image.png

image.png

My Cars
    97 M3 w/S54, 11 E92 M3
    Interesting. Running on the drivers side. Is your pump mounted on drivers side of motor? Mine is on passenger side. The spiral inserts you mention for hose vacuum collapse. You run those the full 12 ft or so from tank to pump? What is the black unit off the tank? Is that a filter? Thanks for your response

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 M3 4CURVS View Post
    Interesting. Running on the drivers side. Is your pump mounted on drivers side of motor? Mine is on passenger side. The spiral inserts you mention for hose vacuum collapse. You run those the full 12 ft or so from tank to pump? What is the black unit off the tank? Is that a filter? Thanks for your response
    The hoses enter the engine bay on the driver's side as I don't want them near the exhaust, but then they cross over under the engine at the front. With the drysump pan there's tons of room.

Yep the inserts are full length, keep the whole thing propped open.

The black box is called a Spintric. It's a centrifugal deaerator. The scavenged oil goes through it at high speed in a spiral, squeezing the oil to the outside and the gas to the middle.

https://drysump.com/index.php/spintr...rator-dry-sump

My Cars
    99 M3
    Do you need to account for pressure loss over that distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3 w/S54, 11 E92 M3
    I will compare the after pressure to when the tank was in the engine compartment and adjust if needed.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Do you need to account for pressure loss over that distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, the pressure is between the pump and the engine, which is a short distance, and the target pressure should be measured as the oil enters the main galley.

My Cars
    97 M3 w/S54, 11 E92 M3
    I just added a picture of current tank location in original post