Thread: Suspension Overhaul - Front Control Arms

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3

Question Suspension Overhaul - Front Control Arms

So I have been looking around for cheaper alternatives to the OEM control arms because they are like 300 bucks a pop, and I'd like to try and save a little bit of money if I can. I've looked at brands like the Meyle HDs and MTC, but I'm not to sure about their quality since I've seen the complaints about many of their parts. I found a kit on Bimmerworld's website that looks pretty promising, and I wanted to get some input: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...-M3-96-99.html

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just buy new ball joints and DIY them. If I recall it was less than $100 for both arms when I did it a couple years back. There's lots of threads around here with details and part numbers, but the gist of it is you buy the E30 Lemforder ball joints (one inner and one outer per arm), press the old ones out with a big harbor freight 20 ton press (or something similar), and then press the new ones in. If you don't have access to one, you may be able to find a shop that will do it for you. That is certainly far cheaper than buying whole replacement arms of any type. Unless the metal in your arms is damaged/bent, there's not really any reason to replace the entire arm.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    If you DO go the DIY route, do it yourself - don't have a shop do it. It'll be cheaper to just get the Harbor Freight press, plus you'll know it was done right. And then you'll have a press, too.

I paid a shop to do the pressing and they trashed one of the joints. FCP is free replacement but not free shipping.

But then again, I'm completely and permanently soured on letting ANYONE else touch my car.

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Just buy new ball joints and DIY them. If I recall it was less than $100 for both arms when I did it a couple years back. There's lots of threads around here with details and part numbers, but the gist of it is you buy the E30 Lemforder ball joints (one inner and one outer per arm), press the old ones out with a big harbor freight 20 ton press (or something similar), and then press the new ones in. If you don't have access to one, you may be able to find a shop that will do it for you. That is certainly far cheaper than buying whole replacement arms of any type. Unless the metal in your arms is damaged/bent, there's not really any reason to replace the entire arm.
    Sweet, I had no clue that was even possible! Thanks for the info on that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    If you DO go the DIY route, do it yourself - don't have a shop do it. It'll be cheaper to just get the Harbor Freight press, plus you'll know it was done right. And then you'll have a press, too.

I paid a shop to do the pressing and they trashed one of the joints. FCP is free replacement but not free shipping.

But then again, I'm completely and permanently soured on letting ANYONE else touch my car.
    I can relate, I'm the same way. I do everything myself, and I've got a shop that I work in, so equipment to do a job like this is no issue for me

My Cars
    98 M3
    Just order from fcp if you have issues they have life time replacement on all parts.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by xeleris View Post
    So I have been looking around for cheaper alternatives to the OEM control arms because they are like 300 bucks a pop, and I'd like to try and save a little bit of money if I can. I've looked at brands like the Meyle HDs and MTC, but I'm not to sure about their quality since I've seen the complaints about many of their parts. I found a kit on Bimmerworld's website that looks pretty promising, and I wanted to get some input: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...-M3-96-99.html

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.
    I've got a few sets with new pressed in Lemforder balljoints. I'll let them go for $100 plus whatever the shipping is.

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Coast View Post
    Just order from fcp if you have issues they have life time replacement on all parts.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp