Thread: N20 Vanos Solenoid Valve

N20 Vanos Solenoid Valve

BMW tech info says the cams need to be locked down to remove the Vanos valve. This seems correct, but I'm looking to avoid removing the valve cover. Can the N20 Vanos valve be replaced through the actuator hole without removing the valve cover and locking the cams?

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    No, the mechanical VANOS valve can only be removed by removing the valve cover and locking the cams. The VANOS control valve is actually the securing element for the VANOS gear, there is no other way.

Mark.

Thought so, thanks for confirmation!

My Cars
    Just to be clear, there are two different parts of the VANOS solenoids on the N20.

The "solenoid" is the round thing screwed to the front of the valve cover. The "valve" is the actual VANOS bolt. If you are replacing the solenoid, then it's a simple swap by removing two screws and the electrical connector. If you are replacing the valve, then the cover has to come off, and the cams locked down.

The older engines were different. N52, N54, N55, etc, the solenoid and valve were one part that just slides into the bore in the cylinder head.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Just to be clear, there are two different parts of the VANOS solenoids on the N20.

The "solenoid" is the round thing screwed to the front of the valve cover. The "valve" is the actual VANOS bolt. If you are replacing the solenoid, then it's a simple swap by removing two screws and the electrical connector. If you are replacing the valve, then the cover has to come off, and the cams locked down.

The older engines were different. N52, N54, N55, etc, the solenoid and valve were one part that just slides into the bore in the cylinder head.
    Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find consistent terminology, even in TIS - I'm generally using "actuator" as electrical part, and "valve" as vanos camshaft bolt. The procedure in 11 36 046 refers to it first as "central bolt," and later as "Vanos solenoid valve."

Basically looking at fault diagnosis for an intermittent 130308; cam sensors working reliably, the fault stays on the exhaust side when swapping the actuators, which would leave valve or VANOS unit as likely culprits, right?

My Cars
    Yeah, sounds like it. Unless the timing chain is wearing out and/or stretching, causing the engine to be slightly out of time.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Hi Chip.. Did you ever come across a step by step procedure in doing this? I have a 2013 N20 engine in my X3 and want to remove the actuators to either clean or replace. I've tested the soleniods and they are both good. I just can't find a procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    2013 bmw 328i xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
    Hi Chip.. Did you ever come across a step by step procedure in doing this? I have a 2013 N20 engine in my X3 and want to remove the actuators to either clean or replace. I've tested the soleniods and they are both good. I just can't find a procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    did you ever find a procedure for this? i’m thinking this is the same problem i’m having but can’t find a procedure or a rough estimate of getting it done at BMW or an indy shop