Thread: Looking for the best high beam and turn signal bulbs

My Cars
    1999 BMW 523i E39

Question Looking for the best high beam and turn signal bulbs

Hello!

I have a BMW E39 with xenon facelift headlights that I want to upgrade the high beam on as I'm not happy with the current output. I'm now wondering what I should get? I've looked into LED but don't know which to get and if they are better than halogen as some are crap allround, some work really well in projectors and some work really well in a reflector like the E39 high beam.

I'm looking into possibly getting a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 bi-xenon projectors for the main beam but this question is regarding the actual high beam as I want something better. My goal is the best possible light output which allows me to see as much as possible at night. I would like if they have a whiter look than the original halogen that matches my xenon main beam better but that's not the main focus as I don't want to sacrifice light output for looks. Some options that I've looked into are the following:
    1. Lüxen V3 LED
    2. GTR Lightning Ultra 2
    3. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
    4. Osram Night Breaker Laser
    5. Philips Xtreme Vision

What do you guys recommend? Which is the best option that allows the best possible light at night?

I'm also wondering which turn signal bulbs I should get for facelift headlights and pre-facelift taillights? I'd like them to blend into the clear housings better than the current orange bulbs that are visible when turned off, especially in the taillights. The orange coating on the current ones are cracked allround and the bulbs feel really brittle and need replacing anyways.

Thank in advance!
    Current Garage
    1999 BMW 523i E39

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528IA
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x...-bulbs-h7-twin

I think these or GTR Lighting is the best

My Cars
    1999 BMW 523i E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Perern View Post
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x...-bulbs-h7-twin

I think these or GTR Lighting is the best
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into those as well

Do you possibly know a good mounting option for LED high beam bulbs on the E39? My car uses this mount with an H7 bulb but I can't find any good LED mounts for the high beam.
    Current Garage
    1999 BMW 523i E39

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    The Morimoto Mini D2S projectors will require custom brackets to mount in E39 headlights. Unless you feel like fabricating and fine tuning these brackets yourself you are better off going with the Morimoto EvoX-R projectors which bolt right in with no modification.

I went the Mini D2S route and these are my adapter brackets.

Most of the LED replacements for 9005 and 9006 bulbs don't work well simply because the LED light output geometry is so much different, IMO just stick with standard halogen high beam bulbs and wire up the bi-xenon high beams in the projectors and you'll have more than enough light output.

I replaced all of my external bulbs (aside from headlights) with LEDs from superbrightleds.com a year or so ago and they've been working great.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 523i E39
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    The Morimoto Mini D2S projectors will require custom brackets to mount in E39 headlights. Unless you feel like fabricating and fine tuning these brackets yourself you are better off going with the Morimoto EvoX-R projectors which bolt right in with no modification.

I went the Mini D2S route and these are my adapter brackets.

Most of the LED replacements for 9005 and 9006 bulbs don't work well simply because the LED light output geometry is so much different, IMO just stick with standard halogen high beam bulbs and wire up the bi-xenon high beams in the projectors and you'll have more than enough light output.

I replaced all of my external bulbs (aside from headlights) with LEDs from superbrightleds.com a year or so ago and they've been working great.
    I've looked into this kit to install the projectors in my headlights. My plan was EVOXR 2.0s in the beginning but after doing some research I found that the Mini D2S 5.0s have a better cutoff that more closely represents the original one which is better as I live in Sweden. How are they? Are you happy with yours?

Thanks!
    Current Garage
    1999 BMW 523i E39

My Cars
    '05 X3, 97 540i/6
    Your'e gonna have to do some custom fab work to get an LED bulb to fit in the highbeams, take your old H7 bulb housing and cut it so it fits on the new LED bulb. I'd stay with the EVOxr projectors, they have a good cutoff and hotspot and are direct drop in. If you don't like cutting and custom fabbing to fit an LED bulb for your highs, grab a set of hi-lens LED projectors with the threaded shaft and drop those into the highbeams.
    BMW = Break My Wallet

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by TS1997 View Post
    I've looked into this kit to install the projectors in my headlights. My plan was EVOXR 2.0s in the beginning but after doing some research I found that the Mini D2S 5.0s have a better cutoff that more closely represents the original one which is better as I live in Sweden. How are they? Are you happy with yours?

Thanks!
    They have been great, I agree that the Mini D2S output pattern is a bit better than the EvoX-R and with those bolt in brackets that's a great way to go. I don't think those brackets were available when I did my conversion.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    There is no custom fab work required for high beam bulbs in E39s, you just need to order the proper H7 adapter online for $5-7 for the pair.
    We used to provide them but they are so cheaply available from 5000 sources, we quit carrying them.

The Luxen bulbs have Philips chips and we have actually tested them against every single bulb out there except the GTR and with our Lumen meter, they are easily 5-10% brighter than all the others. We need to test them against the GTR stuff however still.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    So I just put the D2S Mini's in my DJAuto assemblies. I bought from TheRetrofitSource, and yes there is an adapter plate, but it's super easy to cut to size with a dremmal. I would recommend installing the assemblies before you put the lenses back on to make sure they are aligned properly.

Also for high beams, after I upgraded the projectors, the high beams aren't worth schyt. The D2S has a beam cutoff shutter that you can plug into the high beam wires that eliminates the need for upgraded high beams. The HID Ballast powered bulbs will always outperform any basic H7 bulb, so that's what I did.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport