Thread: Need a new MAF?

My Cars
    2000 540i/6

Need a new MAF?

Hopefully this isnt against the rules or anything, but while looking for a MAF for my friends 740i which uses the "round connector" on the non TU engine, which is priced insanely high by the way... I noticed Amazon.com has OEM Bosch MAFs for the TU engine on sale, 51% off around 88 dollars US.

I almost want to buy one just to have it at that price. The bosch MAF for the non TU engines is also on amazon for like 260 or something which is significantly cheaper than say, FCP euro, no nifty warranty though.

Just a PSA.
    Last edited by Deadwake; 01-17-2020 at 02:19 AM. Reason: corrected m62TU maf is the one on sale

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Pricing aside, why do you want to buy a MAF ??
    Most MAF related problems are readily fixed by thoroughly cleaning it : douse the MAF with carb cleaner, let it dry, then reinstall.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Pricing aside, why do you want to buy a MAF ??
    Most MAF related problems are readily fixed by thoroughly cleaning it : douse the MAF with carb cleaner, let it dry, then reinstall.
    Well, I tried that with my MAF when mine went bad and it didn't work. Got one off a junk car and that fixed my issues.

I feel like maf cleaner might be useful to keep the MAF healthy longer, but when they completely fail, in my experience, you need a new part.

Mileage my vary, obviously.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    stay away from cheap MAFs. Bosch, VDO, Siemens vs China Made copies:
    Here's what I have heard from a Bosch electronic engineer when we discussed about the M70 MAF: the HLM (hot-wire MAF, among others also for M70) are repaired/remanufactured in a Goettingen/GER Bosch location. Here for the repair new platinum wires are installed. This is not done in any outside workshops, but it is a Bosch-internal refurbishment process. I would advise against the cheap copies from eBay for 60, - € or so. Samples of these so-called "repro" parts we receive often in our quality department. The parts only look the same externally (even partly with Bosch lettering and part number). In most cases, the characteristics is far different from that output by a original Bosch MAF. In the best case, you "buy" a higher fuel consumption, in the worst case, it leads to further damage -for example, due to too lean mixture- of the engine.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    stay away from cheap MAFs. Bosch, VDO, Siemens vs China Made copies:
    Here's what I have heard from a Bosch electronic engineer when we discussed about the M70 MAF: the HLM (hot-wire MAF, among others also for M70) are repaired/remanufactured in a Goettingen/GER Bosch location. Here for the repair new platinum wires are installed. This is not done in any outside workshops, but it is a Bosch-internal refurbishment process. I would advise against the cheap copies from eBay for 60, - € or so. Samples of these so-called "repro" parts we receive often in our quality department. The parts only look the same externally (even partly with Bosch lettering and part number). In most cases, the characteristics is far different from that output by a original Bosch MAF. In the best case, you "buy" a higher fuel consumption, in the worst case, it leads to further damage -for example, due to too lean mixture- of the engine.
    Yup, MAF is definitely not something to cheap out on BUT to clarify any confusion this is the OEM MAF sold by Bosch automotive on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CO8PH8..._UEAiEb8ZWJWC3

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    It can be tough to test out a MAF sensor and prove it’s inaccurate. Most common problem on the M52/M54 MAF sensors seems to be under-reporting as they age. However, I recently had a genuine BMW MAF sensor over-reporting causing negative fuel trims in the -8 to -10 range. Replacing it with a new VDO from fcpeuro solved that.

Seems there are also counterfeit MAF sensors out there with Siemens, VDO, Bosch markings on them. Buyer beware.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    No, it's not illegal to ask for parts, just don't try to sell parts on this forum.
    If anyone does have the MAF Deadwake is looking for please conduct your transaction using PM so us Mods don't delete it.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    Haha, I seem to have caused some confusion. I don't need a maf, I just saw they were 51% off from Bosch on Amazon and thought I'd let the forum know in case anyone wanted to score a brand new MAF for a good deal.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwake View Post
    Haha, I seem to have caused some confusion. I don't need a maf, I just saw they were 51% off from Bosch on Amazon and thought I'd let the forum know in case anyone wanted to score a brand new MAF for a good deal.
    Yeah, that seems to be a very good deal. Thanks for the tip!