Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob Turbo Question

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Perfect timing from another member who just posted a link to his turbo e46 blog. Read the Giving Back to the Forum thread posted today and follow the link to the blog.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    You should post pic of turbos

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    You should post pic of turbos
    Alright, here they are:

20200119_201400.jpg20200119_201423.jpg

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    You could definitely make those work

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    You could definitely make those work
    Then why is pretty much everyone else basically telling me I'd be better off swapping my engine with an N54 than making those work, and to throw them away?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I can lend you a sledgehammer to pound some round pegs into oval holes.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I can lend you a sledgehammer to pound some round pegs into oval holes.
    ?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you can figure out the riddle, you will have moved a millimeter on your 1000 meter journey to DIYing a turbo E46 330i.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    If you can figure out the riddle, you will have moved a millimeter on your 1000 meter journey to DIYing a turbo E46 330i.
    ... it's not a riddle. It's a logical fallacy(false analogy). You're attempting to imply that it's virtually impossible to fit my turbos on my engine, which is false. They will indeed fit, one way or another. I might cost $100, or $50,000 and twice as many hours, but it's entirely possible to fit them onto my car and have them function properly. Ergo, I responded to your "riddle" with a "?"

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by kultivater View Post
    ... it's not a riddle. It's a logical fallacy(false analogy). You're attempting to imply that it's virtually impossible to fit my turbos on my engine, which is false. They will indeed fit, one way or another. I might cost $100, or $50,000 and twice as many hours, but it's entirely possible to fit them onto my car and have them function properly. Ergo, I responded to your "riddle" with a "?"
    And where do you get the pressumption YOU can make them work?
    the one that starts too look like a "colossal dick bag" as you like to call it, is you.

Few things for you:
    1. the turbo's you have look like a N54 pair of turbo's. the guys I know running N54's all replaced their turbo's or CHRA's. by the looks of what you have, effort is involved to make these turbo's functional and reliable again.
    2. the turbo's you have are integrated into the manifold, and that manifold will not fit your M54 since the flanges and ports are different. this will need some major fabrication to the manifolds. (solved your "riddle")
    3. manufacturing a downpipe, inletpipe, intercoolingpiping etc. will be hard considering the amount of space you will have if you get these things to fit on your M54.
    4. considering point 3, your setup will most likely be less efficient as a stock N54 which makes ~360hp stock, so I doubt you will get anywhere near 400whp with these 2.

considering these 4 points, and given your reply on the "given back to the forum" thread,
    I think the best for you is to ditch these 2 bricks you received.

If you still would like to turbocharge your 330ci, Do it, it is a fun process and you might learn a thing or 2.
    And you are welcome to ask around regarding the issues that you run into on here.

Just don't be a dick if you receive answers that tell you something different than what you would like to hear.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I was hoping you would be able to figure out why those turbos are not a good starting point for your turbo project. You cannot fit what you have without so much modification to those parts and to other parts that it is not worthwhile. But yes, a good mechanic could disassemble and rebuild them, cut off the manifolds, weld on v-band flanges, and build or modify a set of headers to fit. If you have those skills, you would not be asking the kinds of questions you are asking. Everyone here would like you to learn and people have pointed you to learning resources, but so far, I have not seen anything in your posts that suggests you have learned. For example, if you had looked at the threads suggested to you, then you would have seen pictures of cylinder heads or the manifolds that fit them and notice the ports are oval, not round. And you would be at the point where you have more specific questions.

There was a kid who started posting maybe 6-7 years ago — cmzwirner — who was about 19 and had an E36M3. He jumped right in and figured out how to DIY a turbo. He hit a few bumps but eventually figured everything out. And I am sure there are other young members who have done the same. His thread would also be a good one to read. And I think there is a member, maybe a couple, who got the cheap cxracing eBay kits to work, after a lot more time and money than they expected.

The headgasket is going to be over your head, pun intended, for now. But you could try to collect the parts to do a low boost turbo kit that might add 50% power.

I started out with a used supercharger kit in 2005. They are easier to install. You could keep your eye out for one. I kept reading and learning and went through several iterations of the supercharger and blew up one motor before moving to a turbo in 2010. I prefer the turbo, but a complete used supercharger kit is easier for a beginner to install.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    flux core oughta do it. EDIT: and a grinder

Harbor freight has welder
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-20-2020 at 08:43 AM.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    saying things like that just makes you look like a colossal dick bag.
    Hola. You're treading on the line of the politeness rules for the forum. I'd recommend you have a peek at them if you value the ability to post. I get that you're getting some contrary posts, but don't let it drag you across the line.
    Last edited by e24mpwr; 01-20-2020 at 09:00 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    And where do you get the pressumption YOU can make them work?
    the one that starts too look like a "colossal dick bag" as you like to call it, is you.
    I never said anything about who would do it in that statement. Read it again. I said it's entirely possible to make them work. Don't put words in my mouth and "presume" to claim I'm the dick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    Hola. You're treading on the line of the politeness rules for the forum. I'd recommend you have a peek at them if you value the ability to post. I get that you're getting some contrary posts, but don't let it drag you across the line.
    Alright. I apologize. I thought the rules were simply that you're not allowed to use profanity. I'll have to reread them.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    To everyone: I've already acknowledged that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and thanked everyone for their responses and help. There's no need to start acting like I'm getting uppity with anyone due to not getting my way. I'm not a child. People are being rude to me for no reason, and I'm responding to them. I'm a brutally honest person. I won't start cursing anyone out, but I'm also not going to act like someone wasn't being rude to me.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    flux core oughta do it. EDIT: and a grinder

Harbor freight has welder
    Forgot to respond to you: I'm about to run up to the car lot and talk to that mechanic because he's gunna fix my AC for me today. While I'm there, I'll tell him that, along with everything else everyone has said here, and see what he says. I wanna see if he really did BS me. It's not that I think you're BSing me or anything, it's just that your answer to me is wildly different than everyone else who has responded, so, due to the fact that I'm an ignoramus when it comes to forced induction, I really don't know who to believe. We'll see what happens.

My Cars
    86 325es
    The reason people are not enthusiastic about really helping is because we have seen 100 different threads like this where a person comes into this with no knowledge and 99 of those people get discouraged and it never goes anywhere so it ends up being a colossal waste of time. As was mentioned the turbos you have do not fit on the engine in your car. You would have to cut the flange and outer heat jacketing off and weld a new flange on. Yes it is possible to do and I recall seeing at least one person do it, but its a waste of time because they are plenty of manifolds available to mount a single turbo that is a direct fit on an M54. Mounting a turbo on the engine is about 20% of the effort and money required to make a functional reliable car. Its a lot more than just bolting something on the side of the engine.
    Last edited by someguy2800; 01-20-2020 at 10:48 AM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You are a bit stubborn, which is hindering your progress. For example, you wanted to take a jab at me and wasted time on an obnoxious post about a logical fallacy. Look, I went to one of the most exclusive private high schools in the country, an Ivy League college and have practiced law for 25 years. You are unlikely to win the philosophy debate with me. I would much prefer you spend your time trying to learn rather than argue. You are starting from a point that requires a lot of patience from those who might teach you, but they won’t have much patience if you don’t make any effort and/or if you want to snap at them.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    99 of those people get discouraged and it never goes anywhere so it ends up being a colossal waste of time.
    As I said, also don't forget colossal waste of money. At least it results in amazing deals in the classifieds for new-in-box stuff.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    You are a bit stubborn, which is hindering your progress. For example, you wanted to take a jab at me and wasted time on an obnoxious post about a logical fallacy. Look, I went to one of the most exclusive private high schools in the country, an Ivy League college and have practiced law for 25 years. You are unlikely to win the philosophy debate with me. I would much prefer you spend your time trying to learn rather than argue. You are starting from a point that requires a lot of patience from those who might teach you, but they won’t have much patience if you don’t make any effort and/or if you want to snap at them.
    Actually I enjoy debate, and have been participating in formal debates with people who have PhDs(mostly in theology, but still) for two decades, so I'm very confident in my abilities. Honestly, I really should've been a lawyer, but my passions lie elsewhere as far as a career goes. So, when the opportunity presents itself, I'm always game for a formal debate(a productive one with a worthy opponent, that is). As for your point: I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate it. I simply perceived a snarky attitude from you, and responded in kind. I'm not here to get into pissing matches with people. I'm here to learn. Thank you for your responses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    The reason people are not enthusiastic about really helping is because we have seen 100 different threads like this where a person comes into this with no knowledge and 99 of those people get discouraged and it never goes anywhere so it ends up being a colossal waste of time. As was mentioned the turbos you have do not fit on the engine in your car. You would have to cut the flange and outer heat jacketing off and weld a new flange on. Yes it is possible to do and I recall seeing at least one person do it, but its a waste of time because they are plenty of manifolds available to mount a single turbo that is a direct fit on an M54. Mounting a turbo on the engine is about 20% of the effort and money required to make a functional reliable car. Its a lot more than just bolting something on the side of the engine.
    I understand. However, I'm not those people, so please don't assume I am.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    I can't believe this guys not baiting you all.
    1999 540 Auto with Eaton M112 supercharger
    Airlift 3H/P management, M5 steering box, M5 LSD, Eibach/Dinan front and rear anti roll bars, PM Modifich door boards, 4 Eton 6.5s, Sound Magus VS3500.1, 2 x 10" Kove audio subs, Alpine ICS X7 Headunit, 19" BBS Hammer Sports RT245/RT246, Muffler delete, electric coolant fan.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    I never said anything about who would do it in that statement. Read it again. I said it's entirely possible to make them work. Don't put words in my mouth and "presume" to claim I'm the dick.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright. I apologize. I thought the rules were simply that you're not allowed to use profanity. I'll have to reread them.
    I wasn't putting words in your mouth, nor did I pressume anything. it was merely a question, hence the questionmark at the end.

I also didn't claim you are the D, I was stating that with the way you write, you come across as one.
    Reading your statement again will not change that.

Sir, Phonsalb wasn't snarky when he made the comment about the hammer, he was stating in a funny way, that the flanges on your manifold (being round and all) will not fit the ports of your M54 head (being oval). I explained it, Phons himself explained that, and still you call hem Snarky.

You state Someguy comes across as a CDB, while all he does is reacting in a funny way too your misconseption of how much HP you will gain per added turbo.

Listen, Dude, All the things on here are never a Jab towards you, In the worst case they are Jabs towards what you say.
    I know a thing about the Jab, being a fighter.... (to chime in on the whole "i have been doing that for this long convo")

go boost that thing and keep us updated! enjoy the process.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    go boost that thing and keep us updated! enjoy the process.
    At this point I don't think I'm going to boost it unless the mechanic(technician, actually, he corrected me and almost took offense when I referred to him as a mechanic) I spoke to today proves what he said to be true. He started laughing when I told him what everyone said here, and said all I need is the right piping for the turbos, an intercooler, and some oil lines for them. I really don't know who to believe here, and so I'm not going to believe anyone at all until I do some of my own research, and learn everything I need to know about how forced induction works(even with superchargers). Once I learn all that, which will undoubtedly take a long time, I will decide whether or not boosting my 330Ci is a worthy venture.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    At this point I don't think I'm going to boost it unless the mechanic(technician, actually, he corrected me and almost took offense when I referred to him as a mechanic) I spoke to today proves what he said to be true. He started laughing when I told him what everyone said here, and said all I need is the right piping for the turbos, an intercooler, and some oil lines for them. I really don't know who to believe here, and so I'm not going to believe anyone at all until I do some of my own research, and learn everything I need to know about how forced induction works(even with superchargers). Once I learn all that, which will undoubtedly take a long time, I will decide whether or not boosting my 330Ci is a worthy venture.
    Belief is not required, this was all figured out and done by other people so it's nothing you can't learn for yourself. Start by learning how an engine works and how it is controlled. You should then be equipped to answer most of your questions yourself and if you still choose to accept your mission, you can come back for specific advice. Maybe send the link to your technician too.

http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=97.0

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Belief is not required, this was all figured out and done by other people so it's nothing you can't learn for yourself. Start by learning how an engine works and how it is controlled. You should then be equipped to answer most of your questions yourself and if you still choose to accept your mission, you can come back for specific advice. Maybe send the link to your technician too.

http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=97.0
    Very interesting article! Thank you for that. These are things I've been wanting to learn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast