Thread: Can bus message hack

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 525iX

Can bus message hack

Im trying to get openpilot(open source self driving/adaptive cruise control, https://comma.ai/ ) to work on my 02 E39 520i. But for that i need to find the canbus messages for throttle request and brake request.
    I think finding throttle message will be easy, as the dsc or tcu sends throttle request during downhill downshifts, to keep rear wheels from loosing traction. So logging can data while doing that should show that message.

But for brakes it will be harder, and thats where i need some help, because unless i can find someone with an e38 with acc willing to log pt-can data, i think the only way is to find it in the firmware of the dsc, or cruise control radar firmware. And thats above my software knowlege. Does anyone have the stock firmware files and know if its possible to reverse engineer so its possible to find canbus messages? Or have any other ideas on how to find the message?

My Cars
    540i
    Hey Sebb!

I don't have a answer for you but I've been thinking of similar project. It’s great to hear that someone else has the same idea, unfortunately I don’t have a software or hardware background, more of just hacking stuff with copy and paste code with arduino/raspberry, so my conviction of getting to the point that I have ACC/ALC on my -99 540iA is quote low. But if you get progress with your project I’d love to hear it and if I can I would like to help. Have you bought the EON DevKit?

My rationale for this project as far goes something like this: Full “self driving” capability as for now for my skill set would be little too much as for example I would have to retrofit a electric power steering. So I have downgraded my ambition to just ACC. Just for that, Openpilot seem for me little bit hard/overkill/expensive because you still don’t have the native support for your car (hacking stuff) and would have to retrofit radar system (+plus electric steering if you want ALC) and the information what I can find for how Openpilot works is just poor. What I have also been thinking that maybe you could retrofit E38 ACC system to E39 (I looked this option few years ago) but looking in ebay it’s still quite expensive solution and still isn’t P&P.

At this point my idea is to find arduino radar or lidar that have a decent range, but I haven’t found it yet. The best I could find was 30 m or so, but I don’t think it’s enough. What do you think what the appropriate range would be? Another idea is to build own object detection model for monitoring car in front of you and determining its distance. I just learned how to build own object detection model so at this point I should start to gather data and start to train an “car in front of you” -model. If I would succeed with this model I would fit a Raspberry Pi 4 with Coral accelerator to my car for do the object detection (watch this video if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOKvOrYNII&t=2s) and pluging that to the OBD-port. For controlling the car I have hopes that I could find commands in EDIABAS/INPA first to control acceleration/deceleration and maybe the braking. I think your CAN-bus route would be better, but I think I’ll have higher probability to find those commands through the OBD-port (got few ideas). Estimation to get this done is somewhere 3 to 5 years Still if someone hacks the Openpilot way I’m interested on it.

Here is one video to give some inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1u6AkSpR98&t=338s

-Teemu-

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 525iX
    The guy with the t3 vanagon was my inspiration too, he is very helpfull, and is a part of the openpilot discorde Channel. I have ordered the same parts hes using, the Toyota radar and power steering. I went with the dfficult route of buying the phone used in the eon dev kit, and hopping to get the right software installed. As soon as i receive it i will begin logging can bus and testing to see if it is possible to control throttle and brakes. If it is, im thinking about making a standalone acc controller that works with the Toyota radar.