Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540i Airbag light

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i

540i Airbag light

I started my car first thing in the morning and of course a new light pops up on my dashboard, SRS light, I bought a scanner a few months later and I’m about to have my clockspring replaced. These are the three codes that I have, the way it is written is practically a foreign language to me, what are the most possible causes, I seriously doubt that three components would fail overnight simultaneously
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved from E39 Common Problems and DIY Fixes to E39 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    I'm sorry, but I've been looking everywhere on your site and I can't seem to find what it is that will help me with this issue. I'm kinda daft can you show me what I should be looking for?

Thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    I'd clear the codes to see what comes back. A frequent issue is with the passenger seat occupy module, located at the rear lower part of the seat.

If you get any codes that refer to the "AD converter," it's probably that module referenced above. There are two connectors on the module. With the ignition off, demate and mate them. It may help.

I agree, the code readouts on your tool are cryptic.

Many years ago, I bought the Peake R5/SRS tool. It has several tables in the manual that identify specific SRS faults. It plugs directly into the 20-pin underhood connector, referred to as the "Pacman" connector.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-25-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    They all immediately come back, I’ll look into the passenger seat and report back, but I also have PA soft at my disposal, but I’ve never used it so I’m not sure if I can use it in this application.

thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    I just checked ebay. You may wish to snap this up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-SRS-16-...EAAOSwxtRdWprx

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    As much as I’d like to fix this issue and properly diagnose this issue, I feel that 120 dollars is a touch steep for something that I’m likely to only use once. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Or is this the de facto tool for this sort of issue, I’ve read elsewhere of people using a cheap eBay tool, the B800, I’m not sure if that’s similar at all.

thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    I just checked ebay. You may wish to snap this up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-SRS-16-...EAAOSwxtRdWprx
    That’s a total waste of money. OP already said he has BMW Scanner 1.4, which is far superior.
    Note: Everyone keeps calling it PA Soft, that was the company. The product is BMW Scanner 1.4

97M62BimmerKid, set up BMW Scanner 1.4 on your Windows laptop and use that to scan the SRS module trouble codes, look at the live data, etc.
    If you need the software, there’s a free download link in this thread, just scroll down.
    https://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-...de-reader.html
    Download the latest cable driver package here.
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Finally a straight answer, I’ll get right on setting up BMW scanner, hopefully tomorrow I’ll have an answer

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 97M62BimmerKid View Post
    I’ll get right on setting up BMW scanner
    Some threads at e46fanatics on BMW Scanner 1.4.
    How to Install BMW Scanner 1.4: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966
    BMW Scanner 1.4 for Dummies: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1067835
    BMW Scanner 1.4 Settings: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613
    Last edited by balidawg; 02-28-2020 at 05:34 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    You can use PA Soft to scan your MRSA airbag module (SRS), it will give you the error codes and even live data from each airbag sensor.

The driver airbag internal fault is a default error the MRSA unit reports if it can't connect to the airbag. A bad clockspring could explain that. Have you had the steering wheel off at all recently?

I'm less sure about the belt tensioner errors. The tensioner units do occasionally fault out, I've seen it happen, but it's uncommon. Make sure the seat connectors are inserted properly, and see if you can check the wiring harnesses under the seat (on the frame underneath) Things can get snagged and disconnected.

It is true that the seat occupancy mats have a tendency to go, but there's a specific error code for that.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    If you need the software, there’s a free download link in this thread, just scroll down.
    https://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-...de-reader.html
    Download the latest cable driver package here.
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    Good info...will have to explore this.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    I haven’t had my wheel off, but the buttons haven’t worked since I got the car three years ago. I have a replacement clockspring on standby, I’m just looking for someone to install it. I’m a technician by trade, you know, I’ll replace dead bulbs, I’ll do the cluster ribbon cable on my own, but I’m deathly afraid of airbags, I have no intentions of getting up close and personal with any of the airbags in my car. My horn works, and so does the heated steering wheel but none of the cruise/radio controls have ever worked. I don’t know if this info is of much help

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    If your wheel media/cruise buttons aren't working, then your clockspring is definitely at fault. Sounds like the internal ribbon cable has failed partially.

There's nothing to really to fear with your airbags, as long as you disconnect your battery before removing them (and maybe don't drop them). Even car/ignition off but still energised your airbags aren't going to blow. The MRSA module is pretty failsafe and won't fire an airbag for no reason, more likely it'll just throw fault codes (like you've experienced). I've had wheel and side impact airbags in and out of E60's, E39's, and E34's many times without a single issue.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol, yep, don’t be afraid of the explosives.... pop the trunk open, let the car go to sleep, disconnect the battery, disconnect the airbag. I don’t even do any of the let the car go to sleep crap, I disconnect the battery while the car is still counting sheep.... The new slip ring, don’t let nobody touch it, especially a dimwit. Don’t let the center ring move until it is mounted on the steering shaft.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Well, I managed to buy a used one from eastern Europe, since it appears the 1997 model year has a different clockspring from the 1998-2003, I’m not 100% certain if that however, I was looking at as many parts suppliers as I could to see if it would fit and my results were entirely inconclusive. One site Says I can use the 2000 clockspring, other sites say otherwise, and it’s a consistent theme with both part numbers. I got the older part number, hopefully from a reliable source. I tried to save a couple hundred dollars by getting a used one and having a friend do the job. Fingers crossed I got the right part.

thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 97M62BimmerKid View Post
    Well, I managed to buy a used one from eastern Europe, since it appears the 1997 model year has a different clockspring from the 1998-2003, I’m not 100% certain if that however, I was looking at as many parts suppliers as I could to see if it would fit and my results were entirely inconclusive. One site Says I can use the 2000 clockspring, other sites say otherwise, and it’s a consistent theme with both part numbers. I got the older part number, hopefully from a reliable source. I tried to save a couple hundred dollars by getting a used one and having a friend do the job. Fingers crossed I got the right part.

thanks,
    Andrew
    That's why BMW use part numbers, to get the correct part; no guessing.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    I'd clear the codes to see what comes back. A frequent issue is with the passenger seat occupy module, located at the rear lower part of the seat.

If you get any codes that refer to the "AD converter," it's probably that module referenced above. There are two connectors on the module. With the ignition off, demate and mate them. It may help.

I agree, the code readouts on your tool are cryptic.

Many years ago, I bought the Peake R5/SRS tool. It has several tables in the manual that identify specific SRS faults. It plugs directly into the 20-pin underhood connector, referred to as the "Pacman" connector.
    This however they have been replacing these modules along with the airbag recalls on many of the peoples cars I know... if you have gotten the airbag recall already done then take it back... worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Not trying to justify my ridiculously rash decision, but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to know what part number my clockspring is without having taken off the wheel? Maybe there’s a tool that you know of, that you can direct me to, so I can know what part number I have to use. I ordered part number 32341094261, the slip ring with the extra wires coming off either end. I’m aware they changed a lot of things depending on build year and month, if it is of any use to you, my car is a 4/97 build date. Also my car had sat in a garage since 2011, so I don’t expect it to have gone in for any servicing in those years, and I’m probably way out of the warranty period for that recall. I’m not entirely sure if it has had the recall done. You should also know that I’m only 20, and I don’t have much experience with any of this, so really all the advice I’ve been given is like gold.

thanks,
    Andrew
    Last edited by 97M62BimmerKid; 03-05-2020 at 03:01 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    www.realoem.com Always start here.

That said, your clockspring should work? I'm seeing 32341094261 assigned as your PN, assuming you have a non-sport (4-spoke), non-heated wheel. Double check against your VIN.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Non-heated? Rats. My car is a non-sport, 4 spoke, with the heated steering wheel, so that means I’ve got the wrong part. any clue as to what is the right part for my application? My mistake, time to order the right part number.

thanks,
    Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what a great tool realoem is thank you!

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    Looks like that's 32341094262.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Yeah took me a while but I found it, I was one part number off, Ugh. I’ve had the wrong part since November, maybe I can sell it and recoup my losses for the correct part. I work for a company contracted by GM(and at one point did work for BMW when the e60 first hit the showroom floors) and I keep seeing dealerships do a similar thing, ordering radios that are one part number off from what they should have (I.e. they ordered 84237887 and they return a 84237886 core) I always looked at that thinking what kind of idiot would do that, but all along that idiot was me lol.

thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    It happens to the best of us, haha. But it's a mistake you'll only make once.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    I know it’s been a month or so, but I just got PA soft to run nicely, and I got the fault codes for the SRS module, four codes, two of them are internal ECU faults, and the other two are Fault Lamp and Supply Voltage Low I cleared them, they instantly came back, I’m still going to replace the clockspring because I still want to have my steering wheel controls, but I’m not sure if I should go ahead and replace the SRS module itself, I’m not sure what needs to be done at this point, I don’t even know where it is in the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast