Thread: The Big Boom has finally happened.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA

The Big Boom has finally happened.

Actually, it happened 6 months ago but I'm finally getting around to it.

After replacing my Fuel Pump, Filter, and injectors with the Mustang Injectors. I finally did some serious damage to the engine.

On my way to work one day I started getting some serious misfiring and a myriad of intermittent issues. The car would not start for any reason and the fuel level was low. I figured that can't be right the pump is brand new, and its replacement was too. Crank Sensor error popped up in INPA so I figured that was the culprit. Replaced that, along side an O2 Sensor and both Cam Sensors and I still have the same symptom. Hard Starting, tons of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, horrible misfires on the entire passenger side bank (The same side that blew out the Valve Cover Gasket) when I revved high with a blown CCV. (Both broke within seconds of each other). The only sensor I have not replace is the O2 Sensor on the passenger side. The white smoke does not smell sweet but rather it smells like straight up fuel. I don't have any coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. My Coolant does smell quite heavily of fuel and exhaust fumes, and occasionally after starting the car and shutting it off I see small puffs of blue smoke come from the passenger side head as I squeeze my coolant hoses.

I'm partially at a loss, but partially hard-set that the inevitable has happened. I'm fairly certain the head gasket is absolutely gone.

I'm not planning on doing new valves, guides, or stem seals. Just a simple head gasket replacement.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

My Cars
    2002 525i
    No question. Head gasket. Exhaust in the coolant in just one classic symptom. White exhaust, obviously, is another. The exhaust probably smells of fuel due to loads of unburned fuel pouring through the exhaust from the passenger side.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Year/Model/Trans/Mileage, maintenance records?

It is amazing to me that in virtually all forums, people post problems asking for help WITHOUT listing the most basic info:
    Year/Model/Trans/Mileage, maintenance records?

Something like 2003 530i auto 150K miles with good (or neglected) maintenance...

The signature means nothing bc it could be another car in the stable.
    Also, by listing the exact Year/Model/Trans/Mileage, maintenance records in the text of the message, it helps future readers.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Alright...
    2001 BMW E39 540i, 191 K miles, good maintenance history.
    Would you recommend doing the head-gaskets as a "preventative" thing, or would you wait for the big bang ?!

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour

The Big Boom has finally happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Alright...
    Would you recommend doing the head-gaskets as a "preventative" thing, or would you wait for the big bang ?!
    Vanos seals and o-rings (vanos rebuilds) chains & guides

Or nothing and S62 swap it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GenericUserid; 01-14-2020 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Part the car, get another one.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    2002, 540i/6, 195k. Regular Oil Changes every 4-5k.

TCG Done 45k ago, Water Pump done 10k ago, CCV, a boat load of sensor, fuel filter injector, pump and filter lines 500 miles ago.

I'd say pretty good maintenance, but I thought my signature had most of the info in my first line response. Forgot I'm not on the Acurazine forums. (I just started there and bought a TL-S because my Daily needed to be uber-reliable.)

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post

Already took the heads off last night. Checking them to see if they're still squareish (nothing too far out of spec for 195k miles). If they are head gasket and parts are 2 days away if not then I will look into alternative motors.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Alright...
    Head gaskets are not preventative maintenance on these cars. An MLS head gasking blowing for "no reason" is almost unheard of, if your head gasket goes there is something else going on, usually a warped head from overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
    Why? M62 motors are dirt cheap and parting out is a huge pain in the rear.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 01-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    In my case, I hadn't overheated the car in my entire ownership. There were a few times where the KTemp spiked to 110-112C but nothing to where the needle actually started moving to the right. I don't believe the Head Gaskets from Factory are MLS with exception to the S Series Motors. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't romp on it for the last 45k miles almost the entire time I drove it but I did take adequate care of it.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    I've pulled the heads on an M62TU before, the gaskets are most definitely MLS.

Might be good to do a compression or leakdown test before you pull the heads.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 01-17-2020 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    I did one before the big bang happened and they were in the 180's. The bottom end of the motor is solid as far as I've seen I think I may have just had an oiling issue or a cooling issue on the passenger side bank (I'm missing about 6 oil rail bolts/nuts on that side and none on the other.